PDA

View Full Version : I've decided to switch my 7 mo to cloth diapers...

sparkeze
11-01-2002, 12:37 AM
I have a few questions about cloth diapering. I'll be washing the diapers in a coinop machine that has no options for an extra rinse or soak, etc. so what is the best way for me to wash diapers?

Also, I've ordered a selection of fitted diapers and covers and I have a dozen pre-folds, but should I start out with a few and then build up my collection or do I really need to have a lot on hand in order to get through 2-3 days at a time?

And finally, what else besides the diapers and covers do I need? I have a 28 quart garbage container I was planning to use for a pail but I'm not even sure that will be big enough. Is there a certain type of detergent I should use? Liners? Doublers? Are those necessary?

I would really appreciate any advice! I've been thinking about this for a couple months and I'm finally taking the plunge into the world of cloth diapering! (What a fun world it is too!)

TIA!

egoldber
11-01-2002, 09:27 AM
Hi! Yeah for joining the cloth diaper "club", LOL!!

Most sites recommend a cold pre-wash/rinse with baking soda, followed by a hot wash with vinegar in the rinse, followed by a second rinse. BUT if I were you, I would try just a warm/hot wash with baking soda and detergent and see if that does the trick. From what I understand, the cold pre-wash is to remove dirt without staining. The extra rinse is to remove any excess stuff (detergent, vinegar) that may be left after the first wash. So doing one wash cycle may be fine and I would try that first, but I would make sure not to use too much detergent. I decided not use vinegar at first, but have ended up using it since my dipes didn't smell clean unless I used it. (You can use a Downy ball filled with vinegar and it will open in the rinse cycle.) So I would start simple and add complexity only if you need to.

For detergent, I use All Free&Clear, because I had it already and they sell it in huge sizes at Costco. Everyone has an opinion on whether or not this is a "good" detergent, but it seems to work fine for me. The only definite no-no is using detergents with added bleach (can destroy the fibers in your diapers) or softeners (can add a coating so they won't absorb).

I would try what you have for a few days and then build from there. You'll know after a day or two what you like and then order more. Right now I have about 10 diapers (more are on order but haven't arrived yet) and I need to do laundry every day. I think two dozen would easily get you through 2 days, and 3 dozen would be safe for 3 days.

I would get a liner for your diaper pail (I wash mine with the diapers). I have a 28 qt. Sterilite trash can with a pop-up lid that I got from Target for $5. It easily holds one days diapers, but I think 2 days is going to be tight (but my DD is older and so the diapers are larger).

Liners are optional but a) they make dealing with poop a lot easier, 2) keep your diapers from staining and 3) fleece ones provide a protective layer bewteen your baby and the wet cloth.

Depending on how heavily your baby wets, a doubler may or may not be necessary. I would guess that most babies need something extra at night. If your baby wakes up in the morning with a "heavy" disposable diaper, than I would say you need doublers at least at night. I really like the Joeybunz by Babykicks.

HTH!

megsmom
11-01-2002, 03:23 PM
Hey, Beth, where did you get those liners for the diaper pail? Online? I've been browsing around on the naturalbabies.com and motherease sites that you recommended and wasn't able to find the ones for the pails, just for the diapers.

I brought this whole topic up to my hubby last night and he was very skeptical, though willing to discuss it. I think he is scared of the poopy mess in the toilet business (though I told him about the liners) and found out half of his fear was poking Meghan with pins because she is so squirmy! I told him about the Snappis and fitteds at which point his eyes glazed over and he remarked, "Is this going to be like the bottle/nipple confusion business?!" :)

I have read and re-read your review several times and think if I decide to go forward with this I will try the motherease sampler and order a sandy sample on the side. I think I will also try a Motherease AIO, a Bumpkins AIO and a joeybunz liner. I seemed to get the gist from your review that these were your favorites in the fitted and AIO categories. Am I right about this? For DH to come on board here, it would need to be simple.

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

sparkeze
11-02-2002, 12:52 AM
Thanks for all the info! I have a couple more questions: I think I have the same exact trash can from target. What size pail liner do you have for that? I also considered getting another one and separating poopy diapers and pee diapers. Is there any advantage to that?

As far as washing, if I did find I needed more than one wash in the machine, is there anything I could do at home before throwing the diapers in the machine, in terms of pre-soaking myself or that kind of thing, so that I won't have to run the machine twice? I think it would get kind of expensive running the machine twice for every load!

And finally, if I use either a doubler or fleece liner for more absorption, would I put a flushable liner on top of that? At this point I'm planning to use flushable liners with pretty much every diaper since ds is not very predictable and dh thinks that would make washing poopy diapers much more bearable. I'm also planning, for now anyways, to stick with disposable for night since we have had no leaks for 11-12 hours with the ones we've been using.

And actually I have one more question - what do you use for your diaper bag to carry dirty diapers? I know other moms use plastic shopping bags, but what if it leaks?

Thanks for all the great info! I'm so excited to start. I have to wait until we get the goods though...a few days from now.

nohomama
11-02-2002, 06:29 AM
In terms of what size pail liner to get, I think the one I have is L or XL. If anything err on the larger side rather than the smaller.

Are the washers you have access to front loading or top loading washers? I don't use a coin-op washer, but my washer is front loading (like many coin-ops) and I've honestly never run my diapers through with extra rinses. I do, however, separate the wet and poopy dipes. Since I use flushable liners, I often don't even have to do this. When I do get a messy diaper though, I rinse it in the toilet and put it it a 5 gallon bucket filled with soapy water. A lot of folks don't do this, but considering your laundry situation, it might be just the thing to avoid running two wash cycles.

Finally, I do use a flushable liner over doublers As I said before, this often prevents any mess at all. And, if I throw the liners that are only wet in wash with the diapers, I usally get 1 or 2 more uses out of them.

HTH,
Sarah
Mama to Lola, 9/4/01

Also, I use a Hefty Onezip bag to carry dirty diapers in the diaper bag and have never had a problem with it leaking. Good luck!

egoldber
11-02-2002, 08:38 AM
I would really recommend trying a variety if fitteds and covers. If you order what you talk about above, that would be:

1 ME onesize
1 ME Sandy
1 Bumkins AIO
1 ME AIO
1 ME Airflow cover

I would recommend at least trying prefolds, some more fitteds and another cover or 2. If you're going to do this, you need to find a system that works for you and your baby's shape. What works for Sarah may not work for Meghan.

I have an extra large Bummis bag for the diaper pail (and I am pretty sure a large would fit). naturalbabies does carry them, I think under Diaper Accessories. I use a small Bummis bag for diaper bag. An extra large ziplock would do the trick as well.

I am so excited, one of my next shipments came yesterday and I don't have to do laundry every day now. :)

KathyO
11-02-2002, 10:06 PM
>For DH to come on board here, it would need to be simple.

Mine was very hesitant at first, but now he's just like a pro, and happy to give the cloth diapering spiel to anyone who asks. Granted, he leaves the poopy diapers for me to scrape/sort out, but this is part of our division-of-labour (the cat box is his job). (We're in the MotherEase Sandies, but there are lots of other user-friendly diapers out there too.)

My Mom, a cloth-diapering veteran, on the other hand, has this inexplicable knack for getting either the diaper and/or the wrap on inside-out and/or backwards... but fortunately, they work just as well that way!

Good luck,

KathyO