PDA

View Full Version : Newborn Layette

lkm2002
11-04-2002, 02:34 PM
I have read a lot of information, but am still confused on what exactly you need for the first few months, for a newborn, born in December, in a moderately cold climate, not too bad. How many onesies, undershirts, etc. THen, what about stretchies, w/ snaps, zippers, etc. and how many? And, are two piece outfits, pants and tops compared w/ one pieces harder? All advice is appreciated. thanks

Caroline99
11-04-2002, 02:40 PM
I think that Alan and Denise make a list of recommendations regarding this in the book.

bnme
11-04-2002, 04:50 PM
I too am expecting my first in December, but this is approximately what I have gotten in size 0-3 (based on recommendations in the book, here, and personal preference):

10 Onsies
5 Side snap tees (2 with mittens attached)
About 10 one piece footies
About 6 or 7 one pieces without feet
A couple of 2 piece outfits –they seem like they’d be harder to me –I got these more for ‘dress up’
A bunch of sweaters and hats (my grandmother knits!)
About 5 each of socks/ booties and hats
1 pair of mittens

That’s a lot by some standards, but I got many as gifts. Its hard to resist shopping as a first time Mom! Most of the one pieces I have snap or zip all the way up the front –I’ve heard that is much easier. I also plan on getting a “Bundle Me” type bunting (the one that stays in carseat/stroller) for outerwear.

Its hard to decide since you get advice from everywhere, but I THINK this will get me through and be a little extra so I won’t be doing laundry excessively (ha – I don’t know what I am in for, do I!)

HTH

egoldber
11-05-2002, 09:28 AM
I also live in a moderate climate (Washington DC area). I found that for the first several months (including the winter) my baby lived in either a sleeper or a long sleeve onesie with leggings. I bought the T-shirts with the snaps, but I thought they were a pain, so I just used really loose onesies or sleepers until the cord fell off (around 2 weeks). But you will work out what works for you and your baby. Also, remember that people will buy tons of clothes as baby gifts, so you may want to have just a few basics on hand and then wait and see what you get as gifts.

HTH,

twins r fun
11-05-2002, 11:09 AM
In part it depends on how you find yourself dressing your baby and also how often you find time to do laundry (or in my case, how long it takes to actually bring the clean laundry back upstairs so it can be conveniently used again)! I was a person who used the footed terry cloth sleepers for night only and then put them in an "outfit" during the day. An "outfit" could have feet or not, 1 or 2 piece (I prefered 1 piece, unfortunately their Grandma prefered to buy 2 piece!)-it just couldn't look like pajamas to me! I also put short sleeved onesies under their pajamas and under their clothes (unless it was already a shirt that snapped at the crotch). Although I tried to do laundry twice a week I made sure I had enough clothes to last an entire week because in reality it was sometimes that long before I got to it. Also I agree with earlier posters about all the gifts you get. My advice is to leave all tags on until you actually need to use it-I saved a lot of money when they went into the 3-6 month size by exchanging unworn 0-3 month clothes. Here's what I think I used (I've actually divided it in half, since I had twins):

onesies- 9-10 (since they come in packs of 3 or 5) Note these are a popular gift, though!

pajamas-8 sleepers (or gowns or sleepsacks, if you prefer)

outfits- 7 regular comfie ones, 2 nicer ones

socks-enough for all your non footed outfits, plus 3-5 extra pairs because they are so small they get lost easily

hat-1-2 for outdoor use

I never found a use for regular t shirts, long sleeeve onesies, or sweaters.

Nicole

Rachels
11-05-2002, 12:47 PM
I use a lot of long-sleeved onesies these days, and sweaters, too. I think it really depends on where you live and what the weather is like. Stocking up on hats and receiving blankets is important. At this point (DD is 5 months), she wears a lot of two-piece outfits, but I don't think I would have wanted those at the very beginning. It took me a while to figure out how to dress her-- her little body was so tiny and floppy. Also, I find that things without feet are sometimes easier, because the length of time they fit is longer. That was definitely true at the very beginning. Abigail was tiny, so all the newborn stuff with feet was just swimming on her. Then once she started to grow out of the newborn sizes, the footed things were the ones she outgrew first. Carter's makes good booties that seemed to stay on well, and I just paired those with her regular outfits.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02