PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Rash Cream Question

all4sanity
11-06-2002, 09:34 PM
Do you apply diaper rash cream (desitin, balmex) after each diaper change or just when there's a rash present?

Can you tell the time is approaching and I'm freaking out over everything!!!

Marie

jojo2324
11-06-2002, 10:28 PM
I think everyone's different. At night I slather it on really thick because I know he'll be in a wet diaper for several hours. Other than that I use it when he gets a little pink. I think that some people just use ointment every time, or even vaseline I've heard too.

How much longer do you have?

Rachels
11-07-2002, 10:59 AM
Don't worry! You'll figure it all out. Babies are very good communicators-- your little one will let you know if something is or isn't working well. As for diaper rash cream, I don't love the idea of leaving chemically stuff perpetually on my baby's bottom. I use the creams when she gets pink. Otherwise, especially at night, I use the Weleda Calendula Cream or the Burt's Bees Baby Bee Cream, slathered on really thickly. They don't have zinc, but cover really well and seem to protect her nicely.

Also, along the freaking out lines, don't be surprised if you have the experience of feeling completely raw and vulnerable when your baby is newborn. I was completely comfortable with babies before having my own, so was wildly shocked to feel so naked and terrified all the time. A lot of moms I know had the same experience. It gets better, and you and your baby really do learn each other very quickly. Let us know if you have any more questions! And congratulations-- what a wonderful time you have ahead.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

LisaS
11-08-2002, 10:05 AM
We use dipaer cream (A&D ointment -- its clear, and not messy, and wipes off your hands easily -- I've tried them all -- Desitin, Balmex, you name it and A&D is the best) every diaper change. It acts as a barrier between baby's bottom and their #1 or #2. We have put A&D on our DD, now 10 months old every time we changed her diaper and she has only had 1 diaper rash since she's been born (during a particularly bad bout of the runs) -- which cleared up within 24 hours using TriplePaste (miracle diaper creme --great to have stocked in the baby's toiletry basket).

schums
11-08-2002, 01:32 PM
My son has a VERY sensitive bottom, so we deal with diaper rash ALL the time. We have found that using Desinex (the only thing that clears it up for us) when his bottom is just starting to get red quickly clears it up. However, using it all the time doesn't seem to prevent it all together (go figure). We use Bag Balm (originally developed for cows' udders) when he doesn't have a diaper rash, and Desinex when he does.

Don't worry -- somehow we all figure out what to do. As my mom is fond of saying, "The first child survives and thrives in spite of what the first time parents do!"

Sarah

mamahill
11-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Initially I made sure there was cream or vaseline on her all the time. After forgetting a few times, and DD's bum being no worse off, we skip the cream unless she's beginning to look pink. At night after her bath, we apply a barrier cream of sorts - not quite diaper rash cream, but not just petroleum jelly, though it would probably work just fine (someone just gave us some stuff so I feel obligated to use it). Often when I get her up in the morning she will have pooped and the jelly/cream helps keep her clear. And I agree with Rachel - you'll get the hang of it. What works for one kid, won't work for yours. And what works today won't necessarily work tomorrow (now I'm talking about more than just diaper rash!). But don't freak out - take comfort in knowing that nobody can take care of your baby better than you. Afterall, you're mama!

Best wishes for a quick labor and effortless recovery:). Keep us posted on how it goes!

brubeck
11-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Every baby is different. My daughter didn't need diaper cream at all (except for very occasionally when her bottom turned reddish) until she started on solids, but since then she tends to be red around the anus. So now I always put a little there when I do the change because you never know when the poop might come.

But the short answer is, if you're not putting it on enough, you're baby's bottom will get red in a hurry and remind you. It's not a magic science! :-)

Melanie
11-12-2002, 05:48 PM
We do aloe/cornstarch powder (NO talc) after every change to soak up moisture and only ointment when he's starting to look pink or maybe after a BM. It seems to me if your baby tends to BM in it's sleep at night it might be a good idea.

Mommy to Jonah

juliasdad
11-30-2002, 07:20 PM
Every baby's different, as someone else pointed out; however, I'd be careful with cornstarch. It is, after all, a starch... perfect food for yeasties and fungi, and along with the dark, damp environment, makes them extremely happy.

-dan

mommychic
11-30-2002, 11:58 PM
Anyone in Canada familiar with a product called Zincofax? I've heard that it's amazing for diaper rash. I have relatives in Canada (Toronto area) that will be visiting for the holidays, is it worth it for me to ask them to pick some up for me??? Is it that different from U.S. creams?

Lisa

juliasdad
12-02-2002, 10:09 AM
From what I found online, it appears to be not too different from Desitin; it's primarily a zinc oxide barrier cream in a base of mineral oil and lanolin.

-dan

Rachels
12-02-2002, 10:27 AM
Dan-- I know the thread in the lounge says it's for moms to get to know each other better, but I'd love for you to join in and introduce yourself to us if you're comfortable! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02