PDA

View Full Version : Cloth diapering moms, what do you think?

megsmom
11-08-2002, 12:04 AM
I've done a lot of research on this whole CD thing and would love to try it. My only concern is that my dd is 15 months and I'm wondering how close she is to potty training. The only reason I say this is that she has been shouting out "potty" about everytime she goes in her diaper lately. I think I have my dh onboard and then tonight she told me "potty...pants" and then ran over to the diaper pile and came over and handed me new one.

I am not into pressuring kids to potty train before they are ready lest we start an issue, she is doing this all on her own. I did go out and buy a Baby Bjorn potty for the bathroom so she could sit on it clothed from time to time just to get used to the idea of sitting there. Now of course we are probably at least a few months away given that she can't take down her pants yet and really doesn't sit on the potty but a few seconds before scampering off. But given the startup expense, should I invest in this? Maybe I should buy a few samplers, try them out and experiment with the whole thing just so I could be somewhat experienced before I am coping with the whole newborn thing again. Would your choice in diapers vary that much with a different baby since they could be built different, etc.? By this I mean, would any of the diapers I would potentially buy now not work for my next child at this stage?

Any input would be appreciated. I just hate to buy a whole lot and then they get 3 months use. My fault for not looking into this sooner. My luck, dd will probably decide it's just fun to yell this and then doesn't potty train until she's 3. By then I've spent how much more on disposables....:)

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

nohomama
11-08-2002, 08:23 AM
Jen,

This is a hard one. Meghan definately sounds like she's on the cusp of toilet training. If you decide to take the plunge I'd suggest investing in something like 2-3 covers, a dozen prefolds, and a dozen fitted diapers or enough to get you through 2-3 days. Prefolds aren't that expensive and have a myriad of uses beyond diapering (burp clothes, cleaning rags, etc). In terms of fitteds, I'd suggest starting with Motherease's introductory offer, one Onesize, one Snap In Liner, and an Airflow cover. It's a great deal for $16.95 USD (shipping included). You get to try a diaper that has the possibility of being used on Meghan AND a newborn sibbling, and a cover to boot. If you like the Onesize you can buy a dozen more.

Another suggestion would be to start trolling your local consignment stores and online auctions for used daipers and covers. It's a great way to try different things out without spending a boatload of cash and might be just the thing for your situation. I've gotten at least 1/3 of my diapers and 1/2 my current covers that way. It's often pretty easy to find new or gently used stuff for significantly less than you'd pay for new. In terms of used diapers, I only buy things described as stain free or lightly stained. I'm enough of a laundry maven that I can usually get out light stains but anything that's heavily stained usually indicates to me that they've been well used and won't last much longer.

HTH.

KathyO
11-08-2002, 03:20 PM
Yet again, this is me waving my arms wildly and saying - do what Sarah just said!!!

My DD (now 18 months) also got interested in potties and peeing in them a few months ago, and I held my breath and tried to be calmly encouraging without putting any pressure on her... and she moved on to other fun games instead. Or, Meghan might also go like my friend's daughter, and master peeing in the potty but not pooping (or vice versa)... so I think it's probably still worth the $$ and hassle to get a modest-sized CD setup and go for it.

Yet again, (Kathy's Mantra) the resale value will probably make the whole thing economically worthwhile, even if Meghan actually does take to the potty ahead of schedule! You can advertise them as "VERY lightly used"!

Good luck,

KathyO

megsmom
11-08-2002, 05:27 PM
Thanks KathyO and Sarah. I think what you say makes sense and was along those lines myself, just wanting a little reassurance. :) My husband actually suggested the same sort of approach himself since he feels then we can do this all when we're not dealing with 3 am feedings, etc.

Although, if you watched Dr. Phil today, he made that potty training thing look way too easy! I think 15 months is way too soon to start, though.

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

egoldber
11-12-2002, 11:03 PM
Jen, I've been catching up on posts and just saw this one. If you wanted to borrow a few diapers of a few types, I'd be happy to help you out. (I now have a "stash" that is large enough to last more than one day :) .)

Let me know: