PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when to move up to the next size diaper?

Momof3Labs
11-09-2002, 02:39 PM
Here's a topic that will change all of our lives: how do you know when to move up to the next size diaper? I just tried a size 2 on Colin and I *think* that it fits him better, but do I just have to wait for a big poop and hope that it stays contained? Or are there other "tricks of the trade" that the more experienced moms have adopted to determine when one size is too small, or, alternatively, when the next size up fits adequately.

BTW - He's probably about 11 pounds or so but a very long baby (23.25" at his one month appointment). We've been happy with Pampers (Swaddlers, with a good coupon, or Baby Dry) but plan to try a generic or two soon, as the coupons start to run out.

Thanks!!

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02

megsmom
11-09-2002, 03:19 PM
I don't go by the weight limit at all. I have a tall one also and always had to move up a size when they seemed to be riding real low. When I notice them getting a little short and tight, I move up. We were hardly in size 2's but a couple of months, size 3 a bit longer, and in size 4 for about 9 months now. I've never had leaks or blow outs with any diapers really, so I resorted to the cheapest generics around here. Since I don't belong to a wholesale club, the cheapest for me is Target's. I can get 84 size 4 diapers for 14 bucks. Not even a super sale or coupons can get me near that with Pampers or Huggies.

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

Rachels
11-09-2002, 08:30 PM
I've moved up either when the diapers start leaking or when they seem to be leaving marks on my daughter or cutting into her skin. Try the bigger diaper if it looks better to you! You'll need to buy that size eventually anyway.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

twins r fun
11-09-2002, 09:44 PM
I move up when I seem to spending a lot of time/effort postiioning the diaper just right. Not worth it with a squirmy baby so I figure a bigger size will allow more room so as not to need so much precision!

Nicole

Momof3Labs
11-12-2002, 01:11 AM
Thanks all! The size 2's have worked pretty well for us for the last day or two. We got a little bit of poopy leaking, but nothing like what we were getting with size 1's. I probably need to experiment with brands, but as long as the stains come out (I love Zout!), I don't mind small leaks too much.

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02