PDA

View Full Version : choosing a winter coat

sophiesmom
11-11-2002, 01:07 PM
Does anyone know what materials to look for in a good winter coat (to keep toddler warm)? I have a winter coat I bought which is nylon and polyester, it looks warm, but I'm not sure about the materials.
Thanks!

KathyO
11-11-2002, 06:32 PM
This is an area where brand names and labels actually do make a difference. Plain polyester fill is usually the least warm... although for a lot of climates this is quite adequate, and if your child will be wearing the coat inside warm cars and stores and etc., you don't want something so heat-retaining that they roast in it!

Look for names like Hollofil, Polartec, Thinsulate, Thermaloft, etc. (I'm sure I've forgotten half a dozen more). Down fill is the warmest of all, but it's bulky and puffy (impedes mobility and not good in car seats) and is slow to dry, subject to mildew, and loses all its insulating powers when it gets wet.

If you're looking for serious warmth, you probably won't find it in the average department store. Consider brands like Columbia, REI, Land's End... I've also been reasonably impressed by the stuff I've seen from Rugged Bear. All the above have web sites. Mountain Equipment Co-op (the Canadian REI) also has some very nice offerings in both the infant and child sections of their website (www.mec.ca), and the American dollar goes pretty far up here!!!

Another, more versatile approach to the problem is to get an ordinary nylon-and-polyester winter coat, and on really cold days, layer a nice high-quality fleece pullover under it. In addition to the brands above, Chuck Roast has some excellent Polartec fleeces that add amazing amounts of warmth without too much bulk.

I hope all of this helps! I'm sure I've missed both materials and brands that should be considered, so do not consider this to be anything like the final word!!!

Cheers,

KathyO

sophiesmom
11-14-2002, 09:55 PM
thanks.. i wasn't sure if the thinsulate brands were warm enough, but it makes sense. do they sell columbia and REI for kids in stores or just online? she still hasn't worn the coat i bought, the weather hasn't been too bad here in PA, and her fleece is holding her over, but not for long!

KathyO
11-14-2002, 11:04 PM
Columbia has a website (www.columbia.com) which directs you to both online retailers, and stores in any area you name.

REI also has a site (www.rei.com); they sell online, or at one of their own stores. They have a store in PA, located at:

Conshohocken/
Plymouth Meeting
200 W. Ridge Pike
Conshohocken, PA 19428-1219
(610) 940-0809

You have to buy a membership to shop at REI, but they usually offer savings that make it worth the small fee.

HTH,

Cheers,

KathyO

cara1
11-15-2002, 02:36 PM
check out www.ruggedbear-online.com, too

sophiesmom
11-16-2002, 02:43 PM
Thanks! I think I'm returning the coat i bought, plus the inside isn't warm and fuzzy, just nylon, makes me cold just thinking of it!! ;-)
i just ordered a Lands End squall parka for her, the overstock catalog has them for $38!