PDA

View Full Version : How to keep the !@#$% mittens ON?

KathyO
11-17-2002, 10:17 PM
As usual, I have researched one issue to death and been blindsided by a completely different one. I found the snowsuit that suited us and our weather best... but 19-month-old DD is shedding her mittens every two minutes or so.

I realize that she is probably annoyed by having her hands covered, since they are her tools for exploring and manipulating her environment, BUT... it's downright painful to look at her cold-reddened hands, not to mention cringing inside when strangers give me that Bad Mother look! And it cuts down on the amount of time she can tolerate playing outside.

She didn't mind having her hands covered last winter, so I didn't bother looking for a snowsuit that had the little snap-on covers at the end of her sleeves. Besides, she loves to pull herself up stairs using the railings, and scoop up snow, and pick up interesting leaves, and the little covers wouldn't let her do that stuff.

I'm ready to try safety pins, but does anyone out there have a more elegant solution?

Thanks!

KathyO

kathsmom
11-18-2002, 12:28 AM
Hi, KathyO!

You might want to try sewing on one heavy duty ribbon to the wrist of each mitten. The mittens would be attached to each other by the ribbon and the ribbon would be threaded through one sleeve, go across the back of the snowsuit and come out of the other sleeve. The mittens would hang out of the sleeves with enough slack for you to put them on your DD's hands, but hopefully not enough slack where she can pull them off. I remember seeing these mittens some when I was little. The ribbons (usually a knitted thread to match the mittens) were to keep children from losing one mitten.

I hope this makes sense. I am not good with describing things, but if you have any questions, please let me know!

HTH!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

nohomama
11-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Hey Kathy,

I know a number of parents who use the solution kathsmom wrote of. I also know a FEW parents who won't because of the possible strangulation hazard. All I have to say is "know thy kid." If your babe is the kind of child who'd pull the mittens on a ribbon out of the coat/snowsuit, then it's probably not a good solution for you.

I've also seen pieces of elastic with clips on either end (one clip for the coat, one clip for the mitten). If you can't find something like it in the store, they'd be a cinch to make yourself...some 1/2" elastic, some clips (the toothy kind with the little lever that cinches them tight), and about 5 minutes of stitching and you're there.

HTH,

kathsmom
11-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Sarah,

I totally did not think of the strangulation hazard!! Sorry, Kathy! I am not trying to put your baby in danger. I guess that I am so used to having a 6 year old and that would not have been a concern of mine. I better get used to thinking about those dangers again with DS (who is 8 weeks old today).

Thanks for posting this, Sarah. I guess I just don't think too clearly late at night, and I am out of practice!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/02) and Andrew (9/23/02)

nohomama
11-18-2002, 01:04 PM
Toni,

You shouldn't feel badly. Of the parents I know who use mittens on a string, several are parents of children under two years. Like I said, "know thy kid.

Happy 8 week birthday to your son!

kathsmom
11-18-2002, 05:11 PM
Sarah,

You are right about "know thy kid". Every child is different. I need to start going to the babyproofing forum more often now that I have a little one again. Babyproofing just isn't as "sexy" as strollers, diaper bags, clothes, and decorating a nursery, but it is a necessity!!

Thanks for making me feel better about the kids using mittens on a string. Like I said earlier, I am so used to my 6 year old, that I feel like a first time mom again where little ones are concerned!!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

Nina31
11-18-2002, 09:03 PM
Hey!
I'm having the same problem too, so did a Google search on the web and I came up with this website that sells children's mitten clips. They look like little suspenders. I ordered a pair, so I can let you know how well they work!

Here's the link to the main page:
http://www.walkingbosssuspenders.com
Click on the products button, and then scroll down a bit for children's mitten clips.

Nina

KathyO
11-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Don't worry about it - she's already wearing mittens on strings! I figure it's okay because she's always supervised when outside, and when inside, they're stored where she can't get 'em. So strings are okay by me for now!

Nevertheless, the mitts still get shucked off at every opportunity, so time to start experimenting with various solutions!

Thanks,

KathyO