PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

twins r fun
11-26-2002, 05:47 PM
I know the shoe topic had been covered and I have just read all the posts in the archive, but here's my problem. I would like velcro for the convenience, but when I went to look at shoes the ones I can find in velcro are all pretty stiff. The stride right first walkers (that I've seen) are all laces. There's a nice pair of Nikes with velcro, but they don't come in wide. Should I give up on the velcro and go with the stride rights for the flexibility of the soles? These are first shoes for new walkers by the way.

Nicole

suzska
11-26-2002, 11:28 PM
Have you tried the Kid Smart shoes at Target? They're made by the StrideRite people, and I'm told they run a little wider than normal shoes. I wouldn't know for sure since we've never had Evan's feet sized. I do know that Evan currently has two pairs in his current size--tennis shoes and a "dressier" boot/shoe. Both have Velcro. He's been walking for almost nine months now, but doesn't seem to have a problem with the shoes. Let me tell you, there's nothing like Velcro! It makes diaper changes when we're out so much easier than having to un-tie and re-tie shoes on a squirming toddler! I must admit I've never paid more than $19 for a pair of Evan's shoes (his Kid Smart boot/shoes), and that's a little on the "high" side for me. He walks, and runs, just fine in any shoes he's had!

joodyjr
12-01-2002, 05:54 PM
Stride Rite does make a velcro. That's all my son has worn since we started putting shoes on him.

Nina31
12-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Don't give up on velcro! Velcro has to be one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century! As with the other posts, I've purchased shoes from both Stride Rite and from Target with velcro. I've been pleased with the both. But for bargain basement prices, I've brought a pair a sneakers from Walmart for under $10. The McKids brand from Walmart has an "Action Flex" sole which I find to be pretty flexible. It's not as soft as the Nike or Stride Rite but for the price it's pretty darn good. They are leather too! While I believe quality is important, kids outgrow their shoes too fast to be spending an insane amount of money on them!!

Nina

twins r fun
12-01-2002, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to check the stride rite outlet here and see what they've got and then try some of the other ideas like Target and Walmart. I too think it's crazy to spend $40(x2) on shoes every few months-the first pair are a gift from my MIL though so I'm not too concerned about price:). I was sick this weekend and was laying on the couch watching my husband put 4 (nonwalker) shoes with laces on our boys. After seeing that, I think I should definitely continue the hunt for velcro!

Nicole