PDA

View Full Version : Flame-retardant fleece and flannel

JMarie
12-01-2002, 11:10 AM
I'm on a big sewing kick and I'm trying to find fleece and flannel for baby blankets and sleepers. I know you're supposed to use flame-retardant fabrics - at least manufacturers are required to for baby clothing - but all the fabrics in the stores seem to be flammable. I suppose I should just be happy that they're labeled. I would like to find someplace that sells flame-retardant fabric, but when I asked at the stores (JoAnn's and Hancocks), the women looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe they were just working there for the holidays and didn't know enough to help me, but I'm really stuck! I'd love to make some of the sleepsacks - I found a great pattern - but I'd really rather use flame-retardant fabric. Help!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

mama2be
12-01-2002, 12:06 PM
JMarie,

Can't answer about the fabric...
But I was curious what sleep sack paatern did you find??? I too want some sleep sacks...:)

JMarie
12-01-2002, 12:53 PM
It's actually not for sleepsacks, but for buntings. It's Butterick pattern #3646 - Infant's Bunting, Hat, and Mittens. Pattern C is the sack style and it shows it with sleeves and a hood, but I'm going to modify the pattern to make it sleeveless and hood-less, which will mean making those holes smaller. I've done some work with muslin patterns, so I'm planning on making a muslin sack and then just using that as a pattern for the fleece. I think I'll just take a onesie and see how big the arm holes are and then make them a half-inch or so bigger than that, same with the neck. I'm also making them a little longer than the pattern - six inches or so - and using a separating zipper that zips upside-down, just like the Halo sleepsacks. I received a couple of the Carter's sacks as gifts, so I'll also be using those to check the sizing. If I ever find the fabric, I'll let you know how they turn out!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

sntm
12-01-2002, 01:03 PM
my MIL works at a huge Hankcock's fabric store (the original one) and knows tons about that sort of stuff. I'll pass your question on to her. They have a catalog, so if they carry the material you should be able to order it.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

JMarie
12-01-2002, 06:11 PM
Thanks! I'm really interested in the micro-fleece - it's thinner but just as warm. It's just easier to sew for smaller items, like baby clothes.

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

Momof3Labs
12-03-2002, 07:13 PM
I might be wrong, but since no one else has answered, I'll stick my neck out here...

First of all, I think that polyester (which most fleece is made of) is by definition flame retardant.

Second of all, I don't think that infant sleepwear is required to be flame retardant - I think that only applies to children's sleepwear. I think that was mentioned in our infant safety class, but I don't remember any details (like when the requirement begins - perhaps at 12 months??).

If nothing else, maybe this can start a little discussion and help you get the information that you need!

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02

muskiesusan
12-03-2002, 10:53 PM
The regulation is for children's sleepwear 9 months to size 14. The thought being before this age, babies aren't mobile enough to be exposed to open flames.

When I was researching the subject a while ago, I read that most fleece is flame retardant, but not all. I can't find where I read this, so I might be wrong.

HTH
Susan

GraceH
09-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I too have been looking to make infant sleep sacks (I think $20 is an outrageous price) and I have found a limited selection of flame retardant fabrics at my local JoAnns -- read, they have maybe 3 different patterns (currently, pink flowers, firetrucks, and green frogs with small flowers) -- if you type in 'flame retardant' in their online site, few choices should come up...

Also, I have noticed in my searching that there is fire retardant batting available for children's quilts (called Warm & Safe) -- another possibility I had thought about was making the sleep sack like a thin quilt, using a layer of batting for it's fire retardant properties.

I realize that this is too late for your projects, but hopefully will be of help for future referencers of this thread.