PDA

View Full Version : Best Deals on Baby supplies and toiletries?

csa12
12-26-2002, 01:36 PM
Not sure if this is the right section to post this question, but would appreciate any feedback. I am stocking up on my soon-to-arrive baby boy's medicine cabinet and diapering supplies and wondered where people found the best deals for such things as vaseline, baby tylenol, baby bath, shampoo, baby oil, etc.? I live in Durham, NC and am near a Kmart, Wal Mart, Target but wondered if its worth getting a membership at a Costco, Sam's, or Bj's wholesale?

Thanks for any info you can share
Cheryl :)
36 Weeks today!

Momof3Labs
12-26-2002, 10:06 PM
WalMart or Target are your best bet - you don't buy enough of this stuff (after the initial purchase) to make a membership worthwhile for this reason alone.

For diapers, I found that the prices at BRU and WalMart are generally the best (with coupons).

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

csa12
12-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Thanks so much for the helpful info!

Rachels
12-27-2002, 11:05 AM
FWIW, Cheryl, I do find it worth it to shell out for Burt's Bees stuff. It makes for a delicious baby!!! Also, I like using their baby skin cream as a barrier cream for her diaper at night, rather than putting a lot of zinc on her if she doesn't have a rash. Just food for thought...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

csa12
12-27-2002, 04:34 PM
Rachel,
Thanks for the suggestion. I am totally open to trying out alternatives to the basics and have heard a lot of positive things about Burt Bee's. I think they actually have a production plant here in NC. Where do you buy the stuff? Online? Or from a store? I am originally from Maine so I know they have a huge selection of Burt's Bees at LL Bean, but would love to know where else to find it.
Thanks again,

Melanie
12-27-2002, 07:47 PM
I find Burt's Bees at Lassen's (Health Food Store) and a small selection at Trader Joe's.

Mommy to Jonah

Rachels
12-27-2002, 08:06 PM
Whole Foods stores carry it, as do many health food stores. I also order it online at www.burtsbees.com (click on Baby Bee). They have a great little sample kit, which actually lasts forever. It's about $6 and includes buttermilk lotion, skin cream, soap, shampoo, apricot oil, buttermilk bath soak, and dusting powder. It's a good way to try their stuff to see if you like it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

TomsMom
01-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Cheryl,

I know they have some sort of office in RTP and I think they might even sell out of that office. I will try to look into it and get back to you.

Lisa (a.k.a. Nigele)
Mommy to Tommy
7/2/02

aka_mama2be
01-05-2003, 05:42 PM
YOu are correct they are out of RTP now. It is so funny becaseu you imagine them off in a cabin in the woods and they are (atleast when they were my client) in RTP on Distribution Parkway (I think). When you walk in you can smell what they are "cooking that day"...

I got stuff while there but the gal I worked with there gave it to me, I am not certin if they sell from there...I do find it sold at a lot of places though.

I like their products a lot!!!

Rachel 3
01-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Neve, have you been to Southern Season in Chapel Hill? I know they have it, but it's such a WONDERFUL place overall. If you haven't been, GO! I could spend hours in there-- little cakes, snacks, cookies, wines, cheeses, dishes, gadgets, soups... It's great.

Rachel (used to be Rachels)
Mom to Abigail Rose
5-18-02

parkersmama
01-08-2003, 02:45 PM
Ooh, ooh, ooh! I'm visiting my brother and SIL this weekend and DYING to go back to Southern Season!! They live in Carrboro and are expecting their first baby in February. We live in Columbus, GA, and there is just nothing around here that compares. :-)

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003