PDA

View Full Version : Infant outerwear question...

joodyjr
12-28-2002, 12:52 AM
I'm trying to find a "coat" for my 2 month old DD. I want something warm, not to thick, with legs (not bunting style) so she can fit comfortably in the car seat. I'm looking at Lands End, they have a fleece and down version of what I'm looking for, but I don't know if the fleece will be warm enough, or the down too bulky? She's probably a 3-6 month size.

Our local Hechts had nothing, so I can either travel far away to the next mall/outlets, or shop online.

Help!!!

Momof3Labs
12-28-2002, 04:00 AM
Not sure what stores you have nearby, but we got a wonderful fleece Columbia bunting with legs for Colin at Marshall Field's. It has foldover hands and feet so he doesn't need mittens, and a cute hood. Plus, it zips. Much easier than buttons or snaps.

We live in the midwest (pretty cold) and find that for most in-and-out-of-the-car trips (if it isn't bitterly cold), we don't use the bunting because he gets too warm. Instead we use a couple of blankets and just pull them over him when we are outside, and pull one off when we get inside. If we are going to be outside more, then we use the bunting plus an appropriate number of blankets. Or we can layer under the bunting (I bought it in a 6-12 month size).

Hope this helps!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

Rachels
12-28-2002, 11:02 AM
I know one Land's End fleece bunting is rated to fifteen below or something like that. It's thin, but warm.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

joodyjr
12-28-2002, 12:45 PM
Oh good. I looked at that one, but they don't give alot of detail online. I think I'm going to go with that one (but knowing me I'll order the down one too and compare!)

KathyO
12-28-2002, 04:02 PM
One problem with down is that it's very compressible, which makes it not-ideal for carseats. In an impact, the down compresses, so the formerly-snug harness is now slack enough to not restrain the baby properly. For the carseat, you may prefer fleece.

Other possible sources for fleece buntings (not that there is anything wrong with the Land's End one!) include www.chuckroast.com and www.polarbabies.com, and www.ruggedbear.com has their Polartec one on sale at 29.99.

Cheers,

KathyO

suzska
12-30-2002, 08:16 PM
Did you check out the one I mentioned in this post at LLBean? It's what we used last winter and was great! (Of course I haven't checked to see whether there are any still available today.)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/264.html

joodyjr
12-30-2002, 11:08 PM
Yes, thanks! I ended up buying both fleece and down from Lands End to see which one will work better. They were both on sale too, Thank goodness!!

cara1
12-30-2002, 11:18 PM
I know you said you already bought something, but I just wanted to mention http://www.ruggedbear-online.com/polar200bunting.html

They're having a big winter clearance, and they have some great polartec snowsuits for infants...29.99 We got one for DS and love it. The two zipper style (Thanks KathyO) is superb, my MIL tells me almost daily how easy it is to get him in and out. And even though I fretted for quite some time over whether Polartec without an outer shell would be warm enough, DS is usually nice and toasty when I take him out of it.

AngelaS
01-04-2003, 04:49 PM
I don't use a coat on my baby---it makes it too hard to buckle her into the carseat. I have a carseat cover that fits over the infant carseat and keeps her snug and warm that way. :) PM if you want to know where I got mine (I don't know if I can post the link or not...I'm new--LOL)

BethG
01-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Post away! There seem to be virtually no rules on this site (as opposed to some others) about posting link to sites that sell baby items. After all, this is a "baby bargains" site! And a research gold mine for the Fields no doubt!

HTH,

AngelaS
01-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Okeydokey---here's the link--- http://www.picturetrail.com/angeladms