PDA

View Full Version : Question about Shower Baby and hygiene

youngnan
01-26-2003, 05:41 PM
We're thinking of investing in a Shower Baby in lieu of a regular changing table. If someone has been using one, could you let me know whether it is easy to keep clean? (Just posted this same question on Nursery Necessities, as I wasn't sure which was the most appropriate board...)

The website (www.showerbaby.com) claims that it is more hygienic for babies because you can shower off their bottom each time you change. That makes sense, and I like the fact that it helps to prevent diaper rash by giving the infant a more thorough cleaning than wipes. But I'm concerned about the bacteria that might remain on the lower part of the unit itself, not to mention on the waste shoot, which is apparently exposed when the unit is folded up on the wall. Although I understand that the changing table is on an incline, which keeps the dirty water away from the baby, it seems you would need to flush the unit out or clean it with bleach water nearly every time you use this, which could be quite time-consuming and inconvenient. None of the comments or testimonials refer to this question, and I was wondering whether someone could explain how they manage or how often they need to clean the unit.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Melanie
01-26-2003, 06:27 PM
I've never seen such a thing! It looks interesting, but I would bet you wouldn't want to shower your baby off in the middle of the night (bbrrr!). Also, did it explain how to keep their clothes dry? Sorry if it did, I only skimmed. Looks like you could still use it for a regular changer, though.

Mommy to Jonah

kreed_2002
01-26-2003, 08:20 PM
We have one and LOVING IT! Cleaning it is much easier than you think - Whatever material it is made out of nothing seems to stick to it(there is no build-ups of any kind in the waste shoot either). As far as a need to flush it out after each use, there is nothing really to flush out as the way it is made EVERYTHING goes down the drain and there is no standing water EVER. And let me tell you - my baby just LOVES the warm water sensation! Every once in a while my baby would have a real sticky clay-like poop and just to give myself a piece of mind I spray our Shower Baby with Lysol or wipe it down with Clorox wipes, but that is really about it.

We bought ours from a different site (www.BabysFirstSpa.com) and they had a lot of usefull information. You might want to check them out.

I hope this helps!

:) Kim