PDA

View Full Version : Best Diaper Rash Cream/Ointment

1st Time Mommy
03-13-2003, 09:03 AM
Balmex, A&D, Desitin, (Which one, and cream or ointment?)

Calmegja
03-13-2003, 09:49 AM
Can I say none of the above? ;-)

I don't like Desitin, because even the creamy style is near impossible to get off, and has fish oil in it. Balmex is okay, but never works fast enough to help. A/D is okay, but not really thick enough to help much.

I really far prefer Aveeno, Aquaphor, or California Baby. All are easy to use, wipe up easily, work terrifically, and have non -irritating scents....

Rachels
03-13-2003, 09:53 AM
You might do a search on diaper rash. There have been several posts about this. My favorite by far is Weleda Calendula Cream, which also works really well as a barrier cream. Breastmilk is also good for diaper rash, unless it's a yeast rash.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sweetbasil
03-13-2003, 10:00 AM
We live by Dr. Smith's diaper ointment...you can get it at most any store, but it's usually kept behind the pharmacy counter b/c it's easily pocketable and shoplifted, and for $7.98/jar (which lasts FOREVER), they want to keep a close eye on it!

egoldber
03-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Another Aquaphor user here as well. It works as well as Desitin with none of the icky smell or mess.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
03-13-2003, 12:24 PM
Aquaphor or Walgreen's generic desitin (like desitin but unscented).

parkersmama
03-13-2003, 12:24 PM
We used Desitin with our first child and it worked fine but I never particularly liked it. With our second son, the only thing that has ever worked is A&D. The smell isn't great but it works very well and he is very sensitive with lots of diaper rash. I'm planning to make the switch to Aquaphor and Burt's Bees with this new baby, though.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

1st Time Mommy
03-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Where can I find the aquaphor, Burt's Bees, and Aveeno?

nohomama
03-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Aquphor and Aveeno can be found at most pharmacies and grocery stores (at least in my area). Burt's Bees can be found in natural food grocery stores like Whole Foods, Wild Oats, or your local co-operative market.

Also, I second Rachel's suggestion of Weleda Calendula Cream. If Lola get's a hint of diaper rash (which, thankfully, she rarely does) we use Weleda Diaper Care.

HTH,

atlbaby
03-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Well, I seem to be in the minority, but I like Desitin (creamy)! But it certainly is a personal preferrence, because we can't even come to an agreement in our house amoungst the two of us. DH loves A&D ointment, and so we have that out too for him to use. But I can't stand the smell of A&D, especially since he uses so much! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

smomom
03-14-2003, 08:03 AM
I absolutely love Burt's Bees diaper ointment. If you can't find it locally, you can order it online at http://www.drugstore.com. I also love their baby lotion, oil, and soap.

sntm
03-14-2003, 09:46 AM
and it's on sale now! stock up by tomorrow.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

Tondi G
03-14-2003, 03:01 PM
We are A+D users (you can buy it at most local stores!).. it works great and wipes off easily.... We have some white A+D too (also use Balmex) which seems to do a great job when DS looks a little red/irritated! I've used Desitin but it is too thick for me.... the creamy is better than the original. I've used the Weleda creme and it is nice but didn't seem to be a good barrier... smelled good though but expensive!!!! Good Luck!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

anna lisa
03-14-2003, 11:44 PM
Do you ladies use cream all the time as a barrier or just when there's a rash???

Momof3Labs
03-14-2003, 11:58 PM
I used to use it as a barrier, when he was pooping multiple times a day, and now that he poops every 2-3 days, I just use it when he gets a little red (he has only had one diaper rash, knock on wood).

lisams
03-15-2003, 12:54 AM
We use Burt's Bees Diaper Ointment when she's in cloth and Desitin when she's in disposables.

egoldber
03-15-2003, 09:59 AM
I only use it when she has a rash. Which usually only happens when she poops over night. She used to NEVER do this and over the last couple months it has become almost a nightly occurence. :(

sarasprings
03-15-2003, 07:50 PM
I've used Weleda and Burt's Bees with excellent results. I love the smell of the Weleda. I was able to get my Burt's Bees from the factory outlet section of their website for half price.

http://www1.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=10004&langId=-1&top=Y

Sara
mom to Peter 5/54/02

SASM
03-16-2003, 11:16 PM
We've only used Desitin ~ both Original and Creamy ~ and it seems to work fine. No problems with the skin so far, so I am happy. People have swore that "Bag Balm" has worked wonders (I have seen it at Walmart). I have also heard that a product called "Boudreaux's Butt Paste" is phenomenal :-) You can buy it online at several stores ~ I think that it is popular in Louisiana and the southern states. HTH!

mama2be
03-17-2003, 07:23 PM
I too have heard that "Bourdeuxs (sp???) butt paste", and something called "triple paste" are great...I seem to hear the most kudos for Aquaphor!!!

Mom 2 Katya
03-18-2003, 02:53 AM
I've just used Desitin (both ointment & cream) and it works fine.
Dolly M

Mom to Katya, b. 1/29/03

LisaS
03-18-2003, 04:40 AM
Triple paste is fantastic -- its very strong -- not to be used as an everyday thing, but it clears up nasty diaper rashes within a day. You have to ask your pharmacist for it --- its over the counter, but actually behind the counter in most drugstores. Its a really good thing to keep by the changing table...just in case.

Aquaphor works well too as does A&D ointment, my personal favorite. I switched to A&D after getting annoyed by feeling that my hands smelled like desitin all day.