PDA

View Full Version : Shoes - Aside from Striderite

tbdw425
03-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Ok,

My son is 10 mos. old and on the verge of walking. I think I have to break down and buy him some shoes for outside adventures. Maybe I am cheap, uneducated, or New York City is out of control, but the only flexible shoes I could find were at a real shoe store (Harry's for NYC moms) where the cheapest shoe was $35 made by Stride Rite. My expectation (perhaps incorrect) is that my son will out grow his shoes every 2-3 mos. and shoes starting at $35, sound very expensive. I did see canvas keds for $25, but that also sounds ridiculous to me for canvas baby shoes. Also checked several children's specialty stores and Payless shoes, but the soles were so rigid I could not imagine putting them on his feet!

Any suggestions where to buy kids shoes and what to look for? What is a realistic budget?

Many Thanks

twins r fun
03-17-2003, 01:50 PM
I know it seems totally ridiculous to pay as much for tiny baby shoes as you would for a pair for yourself. Especially since like you said, you'll probably only get a few months out of them. I think we will get about 4 months out of our current pairs. I debated about this and did look into other reccomendations from people here. But when it came down to it, I wanted the soft soles and only stride rite and a few other high end brands really had them. I also considered a pair of Nikes from one of the departement stores, but ended up getting a better price by going to the SR outlet. Do you have an outlet within driving distance? The shoes are about half the cost there. Also Target carries the Babysmart brand, which is made by Stride Rite, but costs less. There are several threads about shoes here-just do a search in reality layette using the term shoes. You might get some ideas there. Personally for now the SR shoes are worth it to me (at outlet prices, probably not at $40/pair :)) to know my babies' feet feel good.

Nicole

parkersmama
03-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Despite what you might think, those prices sound in line with what I see around here! I know NYC usually has higher prices but I live in Georgia and they cost about the same here. I can usually find keds for around $20 and SR shoes run anywhere from $25 for sandals to $40 for boots. It does seem ridiculous but I do think the better shoes are worth the money. Especially in the beginning. As my kids have gotten older, I usually buy their main shoes (the ones they wear every day) from SR or one of the other big kids brands and then get dress shoes, water sandals, boots, etc. at a less expensive place. One thing to keep in mind...even though $35 seems like a lot, your ds will be wearing these babies every day. We often spend $20-$30 on one outfit and it might only get worn once a week or less. So, in relation, maybe the money for the shoes isn't that bad!

Oh, yeah. Check in one of the recent shoe threads. I posted a website for a SR coupon that gets you 1/2 off your second pair. I think it's good until 3/31.

atlbaby
03-17-2003, 04:11 PM
I live right outside NYC and there are 2 Stride Rite outlets sort-of nearby where I've had luck. The regular Stride Rites in my area (Garden State Plaza and Paramus Park mall in North Jersey) all start at around $40 for the walker type shoes. I too was astounded when I realized I can get a pair of Nine West shoes on sale for $29 and they'll last years!!

The outlets I know of are in Woodbury Commons Premium Outlets (in NY), and Jersey Gardens in Elizabeth NJ. If you don't have a car I am sure there are shuttle buses that run there--I always see buses around.

HTH!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

Melanie
03-18-2003, 06:34 PM
I'm not even on your coast and my son's first Stride Rites were $42. Other soft flexible soled shoes are Robeez or BabyShoos...they are slightly less than Stride Rites...usually in the $20's unless you find a co-op. I also got a real cheap pair from TJ Maxx which are great. They have a thin flexible rubber sole and say "BB" on the bottom. They are one of our favorites b/c they are much easier to get on that the Stride Rites. They are canvas and no ankle-support, though. Sorry I don't know the brand...

Target seems to have a line of shoes made by Stride Rite called Smart Fit or something like that. They only have plain white for boys, but they are almost as flexible as the current Stride Rites. I think they are $15.

megsmom
03-18-2003, 09:42 PM
I was able to get my dd's first pair of SR's for 28 bucks on sale at JCPenney. I bought them a size too big and they lasted about 4 1/2 months. Not too bad and she wore them everyday. Now she wears a pair of Target's KidSmart that I got for 6 bucks on clearance. They are wearing quite well and the sole is maybe a little stiffer. I am glad I paid a bit more for the more flexible sole in the beginning when she was first getting around.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01