PDA

View Full Version : diaper genie vs. diaper champ?

Xariklia
03-30-2003, 10:50 PM
any suggestions from you experienced moms out there? i'm in the process of registering.

MelissaTC
03-31-2003, 12:27 AM
The main difference between the two is you can only use diaper genie refills with the genie and they cost around $4.50 a week. The diaper champ can use any trash can bag. I have a diaper champ and I would say it contains odors well. I really only use it to dispose wipes now and an occasional disposable so it can take awhile for it to fill up. I have never had an odor. HTH! :)

sivancat
03-31-2003, 10:47 AM
My sister gave me a diaper genie when my daughter was born, but I never used it much. I hated buying refills. About 3 months ago I bought a diaper champ. I really like it. I find it contains the odors as well as the genie, but doesn't require pushing on the diaper as much when disposing of it. Also, the champ's bag is easier to change. That said, there is still some odor if you leave the poopy diapers in either one longer than a few days.

Hope this helps.

Sivan,
Mom to Zea 6/3/02

Eliz
04-17-2003, 01:20 PM
I just had to have the diaper genie when I registered over a year ago. Now that my son is 15 months old I never use it. My husband never got used to using it. It actually seemed more of a hassle than it was worth. We just use small trash bins and reuse the plastic bags from the grocery store or Target etc. Whenever there is a smelly diaper we just pull that bag and add a new one. Which is only once or twice a day. For the next baby I may try a diaper champ, but I don't recommend the genie.

nitaghei
04-17-2003, 01:56 PM
It depends on your circumstances. We have the Genie, mostly because we have dogs. From that perspective, I really like it. Absolutely no smell - so the dogs aren't interested at all.

What I like most about the Genie is the way it closes - my cocker hasn't figured out how to open it (this dog knows to STEP on the foot pedal to open the trash can, can undo zippers, unscrew caps off jars etc. ). This locking was a major reason why I got the Genie.

BTW - the refills do last a long time. I think we're on our third - and DS is 3 1/2 months old, and is BF'd, and is home currently (will be starting daycare in a few weeks). On sale, the refills are $4 at Target. So, for us, the cost of using the Genie is more like $4 a month. And worth it - because I don't have to worry about my dog getting into the pail and killing himself.

Nita

sweetbasil
04-17-2003, 02:18 PM
We got the champ for the cheapo-trashbag reason and were very pleased. It contained odors until DS was around 20mo, then started really stinking. Since then, we just take the dirty diapers straight out to the garage trashcan. If I don't convert to CDs for DS#2, then we'll stick with the Diaper Champ.

BTW, we've found the Champ takes two hands to open when disposing of the bag, but handy in that we only need one hand to put a dirty diaper in it....

HTH,

MartiesMom2B
04-17-2003, 06:11 PM
I have to say that I chose the Diaper Champ because I didn't want to have to buy the refills. However, I don't have dogs like Nita. I really like it and it's contained the smell pretty well. I'd say unless you have a circumstance like Nita where you have savvy dogs or other pets to get the Diaper Champ.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Momof3Labs
04-17-2003, 07:43 PM
I have some savvy dogs, but can't imagine how they would get into the Diaper Champ - I think that it is pretty much doggie-safe, too. Opening the Champ is not easy for me; I can't imagine how the dogs would do it!

nitaghei
04-18-2003, 08:48 AM
Why didn't I ask you first, Lori?! :)

I was totally convinced I would lose my dog person privileges if I bought anything other than the Genie! :)

Nita