PDA

View Full Version : Layette -- should I skip buying 0-3 month size?

Rhonda36
04-08-2003, 10:18 AM
Hi -- I'm due in another four weeks, and we haven't found out the sex of the baby. I think because of that, no one bought us clothes for our baby shower!

So now I'm out buying some things, mostly sleepers and gowns, but my mom tells me that buying 0-3 month sizes is a waste. I'm wondering if clothing sizes have changed a little since she was dressing babies, because my friends seem to use the 0-3 month sizes for nearly 3 months with no problems.

I do realize of course, that we could end up with a big baby, and then the point of all this is mute. But in the meantime, I feel like I should have at least a few things on hand.

So far I have 7 sleepers, 4 gowns, 6 onsies and two sort of romper like things, all in 0-3 month size

Any advice?
TIA, Rhonda

nathansmom
04-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Nathan was a big boy 8lbs. 14 oz. at birth. I used the 0-3 months for about 4 weeks. I purchased about 6 outfits and just did laundry when he was out of clean ones. I decided I liked the onsies for lounging around the house and to sleep in. We had gowns used them one time and donated those. The sleepers he never fit in (they were too long) so I didn't use those either.
HTH

emilyf
04-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Charlie was big- 9Lbs2, and we did use the 0-3 size for the first 6 weeks or so. The 3-6 month size would have looked huge in the beginning. I would say that you have about the right amount in that size-you will probably be changing clothes a lot, and won't much feel like doing laundry. We did have a couple of gowns that we never used, but I know some people like them. If your baby is on the smaller side, you could be in this size for longer, but you could always pick up some new things later in pink or blue!
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

Momof3Labs
04-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Colin was 8lbs, 4oz and we used the 0-3 month size for about 6 weeks. 3-6 month stuff would have been huge on him at the beginning (heck, the 0-3 month stuff was huge on him for the first couple of weeks). It sounds like you have about the right amount of stuff - keep it simple and comfortable, and don't spend a lot of money on this size. Plus, you will get gifts in this size; I suggest exchanging or returning them (if you can) for a larger size.

We actually liked the gowns - Colin wouldn't keep his legs in the sleepers and was waking up tangled up. The gowns worked better for us (at bedtime) for the first 3-4 weeks. We used footed sleepers during the day.

Edited to add: you might want to pick up a pack of side-snap t-shirts. Many moms don't use onesies until the umbilical cord falls off, and use t-shirts instead. This could last 2-4 weeks.

Rhonda36
04-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Whew, thanks. She was making me feel pretty guilty about what I had purchased so far... but I feel pretty comfy with it. I may only wash half of the sleepers and keep the tags on the rest to see how big this little urchin ends up being.

The side-snap tee is a great suggestion too. Thank you!

ddmarsh
04-08-2003, 11:28 AM
I agree - it is so nice to have clothes that actually fit well in those first few weeks. You can always return things to the Gap with a receipt and at Gymboree you can return with a receipt for 6 months. Also for basic sleepers, etc. you can return at Target for 90 days. Also keep in mind that unused items could be saved for gifts for other people or sold on Ebay.

Good luck!

Debbie

C99
04-08-2003, 11:41 AM
It depends on the size of your baby, but I wouldn't skip it. Nathaniel was 5 lbs, 12 oz. at birth, but was 9 lbs 3 oz/22.5" last week and he's still in the 0-3 months stuff. I anticipate him being in some of his 0-3mo stuff for a bit longer yet--maybe 2-4 weeks. I initially went out and bought preemie stuff b/c the 0-3mo stuff was so big.

twins r fun
04-08-2003, 12:04 PM
Rhonda,

My mom was telling me the same thing and driving me nuts! I think when our parents look back on the 30 years of their child's life, having them wear something for 6 weeks or even 3 months seems really short. But when you are actually doing it, that time period seems plenty long enough and way too long to be wearing clothes that are enormous. We'll probably be giving our own kids the same advice 30 years from now!

Nicole

MelissaTC
04-08-2003, 01:25 PM
My son was 7 lbs., 10 oz at birth and wore 0-3 for 3 months! I felt like we got a lot of use out of everything we had. I actually had to go and exchange 3-6 month items for 0-3. I had also bought a few girl things & a few boy things because we did not know the sex of the baby. As you can guess, I had to return the cute little strawberry and pink outfits for things with bugs...lol. I agree with what was said before- keep the tags and receipts in case you need to return or exchange. Have fun shopping!

:)

Karenn
04-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Just one more perspective- Colin was also a big baby (8 lbs 14 oz) and was able to wear 0-3 months for 2 - 2 1/2 months depending on the outfit. We went through onesies like crazy in the beginning (didn't do the side snap t-shirt thing) so you might want a few more of either t-shirts or onesies. Otherwise, I think our layette looked about the same as yours.

suribear
04-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Don't skip it but don't buy any more either :)

My dd was 5 lb. 14 oz. and stayed in 0-3 forever (she's petite, still).

My son, on the other hand, was 9 lb. 7 oz. at birth! He is still in 0-3 at 4 weeks, and depending on the brand, maybe that'll last a few more weeks. i didn't need gowns for him but did for our dd, as she was so tiny that her legs would get stuck in one sleeper leg, causing frustration. not an issue this time :)

People will give you a lot of small sizes, so depending on the kid's size you may need to exchange for larger sizes. IN our dd's case, I had exchanged for larger sizes before she was born, then we needed to buy more 0-3 afterwards!

Kris

Marisa6826
04-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Sophie was 6 lbs. 1 oz. when she was born and all of the 0-3 stuff was WAY too big on her! In fact, she's four months old tomorrow and is still wearing mostly 0-3 stuff.

I would keep what you have - just leave the tags on (if you haven't already taken them off). That way, you have the option of exchanging them if your baby's big.

Best of luck!

-m

Rachels
04-09-2003, 07:15 PM
Abigail was 6 lbs 1 oz, and needed preemie stuff for six weeks! The 0-3 fit her until she was about 5 months old.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

dogmom
04-10-2003, 08:24 AM
I had the same question and about the same number of 0-3 mo clothes. I knew I was having a big baby and felt a little guilty about spending the money also. DS was 9 lb 21 1/2 inches. He's not quite three months and he still wears many of his 0-3 clothes,and he's almost outgrown his infant car seat. I found that he could easily wear the 3-6 mo onsies, they were actually easier to get on. However, he did look like he was swimming in the 3-6 month sleepers for about 4 weeks. The fact that the sleeves were so long bugged be a lot, I'm not sure why. I wound up using both my small & medium clothes until he moved into size 2 diapers. (Just too many leaks in the size 1, I was always chainging his clothes.) You will probably get a few more outfits after your baby is born. I thought everyone had given me everything, but people showed up with presents. The only thing I would recommend that you don't have is those one piece blanket sleepers. They are one size fits all and it's all my son sleeps in. I have four now and couldn't live without them. You might just want to get one to try. And remember, going out to buy clothes is always I good first outing with the baby!

Jeanne
Mother to Harvey
1/16/03

mamagoosie
04-18-2003, 11:12 AM
I would get a few things, see how big your baby is, then get more as necessary. My dd was 6 lbs, 6 oz, is now 5 months (14 lbs) and still wears lots of her 0-3 clothes. She wore preemie clothes for the first 4 weeks or so. Gap in particular tends to run large. HTH.

Alex

sweetbasil
04-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Rhonda,
DS was 7#9oz and wore preemie clothes for the first 2-3 weeks, and has always worn smaller clothes than most little ones his age. We didn't know his gender and just bought some gender-neutral gowns, etc., and as soon as we found out he was a he, plenty of people gave us baby boy clothes that fit right away....

Good luck!

stillplayswithbarbies
04-20-2003, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't get anymore yet. One main reason is that you will want girly things if you have a girl. I had too many yellow and green things and I just wanted to dress her in pink and purple once she was here. :)

My daughter was 8lb 6 oz and 20.5 inches long and she is still wearing some 0-3 month sizes at almost 4 weeks. Some of the ones with feet are too small now, but everything else still fits. And the 3-6 m sizes are still way too big.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03