PDA

View Full Version : barrettes

colleenfs
04-09-2003, 05:18 PM
I'm looking for sturdy barrettes to keep my 15-month-old's fine hair out of her eyes. Any brands that really stay in?

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

suribear
04-09-2003, 09:11 PM
carters brand are good.

Kris

nohomama
04-10-2003, 06:28 AM
Lola has really fine hair too and I find that the any brand of the barrettes that you sort of bend back-and-forth to open and close stay in Lola's hair the best.

HTH,

kirstensmom
04-10-2003, 07:39 AM
I've also been looking for some barrettes to stay in my dd's hair. Where have you found the bend back and forth barrettes?

momathome
04-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Target and H&M have a nice selection of hair accessories, including the bend back and forth ones. H&M in particular has adorable hair accessories really cheap. Good luck!
-Lauren

nohomama
04-10-2003, 11:00 AM
As Lauren mentioned Targert and H&M are good places to find the bendy barrettes. They're not difficult to find though and just about everyplace carries them. I've also found them in regular old grocery stores and drugstores (you're likely to pay more there than you would at a discount store but...)

Sarah

Shirale
04-10-2003, 01:00 PM
I have found adorable barettes (they are kind of like clips with bows on top) that stay very well in Amira's (very fine, thin) hair at the little kiosks/vendors at malls- the ones that sell hair accessories. Other barettes just fall out of her hair!

kirstensmom
04-11-2003, 06:42 AM
Well, I went to H&M yesterday and bought some bend back and forth clips. They have some really cute ones. Most styles were $1.50 for 4 barrettes - some only had 2. I found they were much better than the clips at Claire's (the hair accessory store). Haven't checked the kiosks yet.

sugarsnappea
04-11-2003, 09:34 AM
I also think the bendy style barrettes work best. I have had good luck at Gymboree. The barrettes are really cute and they always go on sale for $1.99 for 2 or 4. Most of their barrettes are large enough that I don't freak about the choking hazard issues.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-11-2003, 01:34 PM
What works best in tiny short infant hair? I just want something that looks cute and makes it apparent that she is a girl, she doesn't have enough hair to worry about holding it back. I found some that are velcro, but they won't stay in very long. Is there anything that works better?

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

atlbaby
04-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Arielle doesn't have enough hair to NEED barettes, (will she EVER?:) ) but I am at a point where I just want to put something in my daughter's hair! It's curly, so I think it's going to be a while till it's a real necessity...

I have some bendy ones that I bought last Summer (what was I thinking?) and I tried them again yesterday. My concern though, is that the barrette fell out after about 20 minutes, and I'd say it is small enough to be a choking hazard (not sure if she would try to eat it, but still). A larger barrette would slip out easier though, I'd think. What do you guys think, are they safe if they don't stay in for a long time?

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

Annette_C
04-11-2003, 10:46 PM
Karen and Rachel,
Have you thought about elastic head bands?
I have the opposite problem with Sabrina's hair: she has lots of it, it's long and thick (can't hold it down, not even with barretts!) Only thing that works for us is the elastic head band. I have a few in different colors and they come with bows, flowers, etc. I don't put the band around the top of the head like most people (it falls off easily), I put it just like you and I would wear a head band (see my avatar picture).
HTH,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

brubeck
04-12-2003, 05:28 PM
On everyone's recommendation today I got a pack of 12 'bendy' barrettes at KRU for $3.99. I even used the 20% off one item coupon to bring it down to $3.19. My daughter loved all the colors. They stayed in. Unfortunately she decided to rip them out of her hair about 10 minutes later.

Sigh. Any tricks for convincing her to KEEP them in?

momathome
04-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Well, there's probably no real way to convince her - tricking her, however, is another story! My dd always used to rip hers out, too. The best tactic I found was to wait until she was distracted (watching Blue's Clues!) and then very carefully but very quickly put them in her hair. I'd say this strategy worked at least half the time. Good luck!
-Lauren

nohomama
04-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Persistance has been our ally in the barrette war. We just keep putting them back in her hair. Eventually she looses interest in pulling them out.

parkersmama
04-13-2003, 04:42 PM
I haven't had any experience with the barrette war but persistance is definitely how we won the hat war! Keep putting them back in and eventually she'll give up fighting it.

LisaS
04-14-2003, 02:46 AM
I argee w/the distraction technique - this works very well for us, especially when we're out and she's in her stroller. The other thing that has worked is putting the barrette in high on her head w/just a small section of the front part of her hair (a la Pebbles Flinstone) - she doesnt' seem to notice it or look for it when its there, but she does when its towards one side.

The other thing that is a work in progress is trying to teach DD (14 mo.s) that barrettes are supposed to be in. So, when she goes to rip one out, I say "no, keep the barrette in your hair". After doing this for a few weeks, we're now at the point where she touches her head and says "no, no" and looks at me before taking it out...I'm hoping in another few weeks, maybe she'll actually leave it in when she says "no, no" :-) we shall see...

Good luck,
Lisa

Shirale
04-14-2003, 10:55 AM
I have to agree with the distraction technique! I sort of sneak them in when she's not paying attention...but I also tell her how pretty she looks and now she pats her hair (when it doesn't have a bow) and says "so pippy (pretty)?" meaning, hey- where's my bow!?

stillplayswithbarbies
04-14-2003, 10:11 PM
I love Sabrina's headband! It looks so cute with all her hair around it. I haven't tried a headband in Logan yet, I'm afraid it will just enhance the fact that she doesn't have much hair. :)

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

brubeck
05-06-2003, 04:38 PM
So after all this time I have success!!!!!!!!

A friend gave me some ponytail elastics with bobbles on them. I put one in my daughter's hair Friday afternoon, fully expecting her to rip it out ASAP. Because I was hurrying, I didn't notice that I had accidentally looped the elastic around the bobble.

I distracted her for 30 minutes by playing with her, then put her down for a nap. After the nap I come in, fully expecting to find it pulled out but it's still in! Turns out that because it was on top of her head where it's hard to reach and because it was looped around the bobble when she pulled at it it just tangled and pulled at her hair (which hurt I'm presuming). She asked me a couple of times to take it out but when I avoided the issue she just forgot about it. I did take it out before her bath that night.

The next morning I put another on in her hair. She wasn't pleased about it going in but it did stay in all day. Ditto the next 2 days. Then this morning she actually saw me with the brush and ASKED me to put it in! I didn't loop the elastic around the bobble, I just put it in normally, and IT'S STILL IN THERE 7 hours later! Yeah!

So my daughter is now a proud sporter of the Pebbles Flintstone look. :-)

AngelaS
05-07-2003, 06:15 AM
LOL We call it 'fountain head' here. :D