PDA

View Full Version : Confused! How do you dress your newborn before the cord comes off?

dueinmay
04-11-2003, 01:36 PM
Hi all,

I know that you are supposed to use t-shirts, not onesies, until the cord comes off and is healed. I presume this is so you have the benefit of airflow to help keep the area dry. But does this mean that I can't put anything on her that covers the stomach (e.g., a sleeper)? How do you dress a newborn and not end up covering that area? I'm obviously confused! Thanks for your help! :)

Rebecca
#1 due 5-13-03

stillplayswithbarbies
04-11-2003, 01:38 PM
I used the side snap t-shirts under sleepers. I think the t-shirt helps keep the sleeper from rubbing on it, and in the first two weeks all the sleepers and footies were big and loose on her anyway. I think the idea of not using onsies is because they are tighter and would rub on the cord and maybe pull it off too soon.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

brubeck
04-11-2003, 05:15 PM
I used sleepers on both my kids before the cord came off and had no problems. I would just keep an eye on it, and if it looks like the cord is not drying out or is infected then you can make a switch.

Karenn
04-11-2003, 05:24 PM
The nurses at the hospital told me that the cord is just like a fingernail, and doesn't really hurt or become irritated like we might expect it to. (I read this in one other place too.) They said to cover it with clothing is fine. I used onesies and sleepers from the beginning and didn't have a problem.

lukkykatt
04-11-2003, 05:56 PM
The thought is that a onsie could be too tight on the cord area, but it is more of a preference thing. Also, some people just find using a side snap undershirt easier in the begining, ie, one less thing to pull over the baby's wobbly head and neck, easier to get to the diaper for the many diaper changes throughout the night, etc.

You can use whichever is your preference and then a gown, sleeper or outfit on top.

C99
04-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Well, it's not really a "supposed to," it's more of a personal preference. I dressed Nate in onesies and sleepers from the getgo and he didn't have any problems with the cord.

dueinmay
04-12-2003, 10:50 AM
Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice! :)

Rebecca
#1 due 5-13-03

madelinesmom
04-14-2003, 11:36 PM
Madeline's Mom

You also might want to look at Sack Sleepers, they worked great for changing diapers during the night and also didn't rub the cord.

Jane

jubilee
04-22-2003, 11:03 PM
I bought size small onesies, not the dinky Gerber sizes but the nice miniwear brand from BRU, and use them under Logan's clothes. They are not tight (and he was 9#9oz at birth) and don't irrate the cord. I don't like side snap shirts or plain t-shirts since they ride up into the armpits. The Miniwear onesies have snaps up the front so you don't have to pull it over the head. They are great.

memedee
04-23-2003, 06:55 AM
What size clothing did you you need for your baby.
Did he fit into any 0-3 or did he go right into 3 to 6 months.
Also any particular brand fit better for a big newborn.thanks

jubilee
04-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Right now he can wear a few 0-3 months things still, mostly Carter's brand. Everything else in 0-3 I had to exchange already. The 3-6 month size is big, but I am not going to waste money on size 0-3 when he might wear it 2 times before he outgrows it. All Logan's sleepers for at home wear are 3-6 months, but like I said I kept 2 Carter's outfits so he'd look cute when we go out. I also am glad I bought several sleeping gowns, since size doesn't really matter with them. As for certain brands, I mostly have Carter's, Miniwear, and Oshkosh... and the Oshkosh run real big. It will be a while before Logan can wear his 3-6 mo. overalls from Oshkosh.

Denyse
04-26-2003, 06:32 PM
We used onesies on Brett from the very beginning and never had any problems. I personally don't care for side snap shirts only because they ride up very easily.