PDA

View Full Version : Practical going home outfit

jillkatz
04-21-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm due in a week and would like to know the most practical newborn clothes to bring to the hospital for the baby's trip home. I live in Maryland so chances are it will be fairly warm (in the 70's). This will be my first baby, so I'm confused about how warm to dress the baby, and whether I should be layering the baby with a onesy and then a stretchy or just using a stretchy-- HELP!

Momof3Labs
04-21-2003, 01:56 PM
If I were you, I would pack a side-snap t-shirt (we didn't use onesies until the cord fell off), a footed sleeper (stretchy) or outfit, a hat and a receiving blanket. Weather this time of year can change quickly, so be ready for it to be a little cooler (pack an extra blanket, maybe, or a little jacket or sweater). The general guideline, though, is to dress baby in one more layer than you are wearing.

Good luck - baby will be here in no time at all!!

mharling
04-21-2003, 02:01 PM
I would recommend taking 2 receiving blankets. One to cover him/her in the carseat if it's warm and one to roll up and place around him/her in the carseat if he's small.

To echo what Lori said, we brought ds home in a side-snap shirt, one piece outfit, hat and socks.

Mary
Mommy to Lane 4/6/03

mamahill
04-21-2003, 02:36 PM
We had a velour top and bottom outfit, with a side-snap shirt and hat. In the future, I think I'll just take a cotton one-piece. And I think I'll get it a preemie size since Ainsleigh was engulfed by her newborn size (she was 5-14 at birth, though). No nightgowns, though, since you have to make sure the infant seat strap can go up through the legs. How exciting for you, though! We look forward to details:).

Melanie
04-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Unless you have any inclinations that your baby will be big, pack the tiniest outfit you have! Even the ones that only went up to 8lbs were huge on Ds who was 7 1/2 at birth.

We took him home in a hat and PJs. I can't even remember if we had a blanket, but we probably did!

Take an extra 2-3 outfits just b/c you never know whats going to happen.

deenass
04-21-2003, 05:19 PM
i want to echo the comment about bringing more than one outfit. my husband got our son dressed to go home and he peed all over his undershirt (little boys must be pointing down!) I was horrified and thought they wouldn't let me leave with him just in a sleeper! They did!

Marisa6826
04-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Sophie was 6 lbs. 1 oz. and was dwarfed by her size 0 outfit from Baby Talbots.

My suggestion is to get a preemie outfit on sale just in case.

I also suggest a side snap t-shirt, a stretchie suit, hat and a blanket.

When I look at the undershirt the hospital gave us, even I can't believe it was big on her!

Best of luck

-m

MartiesMom2B
04-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents about footed outfits. Martie still can't wear them because they are too big. We sent her home in a two piece with a hat and socks. Good luck. Can't wait to hear about the baby

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Tondi G
04-22-2003, 12:00 PM
I bought a little one piece outfit with matching hat for DS... from Old Navy...in 0 to 3 months... IT WAS HUGE!!!!! I should have bought a preemie outfit and that probably would have been big still! He wore the outfit and a little onesie under it... the hat didn't even fit him... so he wore the hospital cap home!

I would totally recommend getting a Preemie outfit... at least a new born size if you think baby will be big... mine was 6lbs 10 ounces! get some tiny socks and a newborn tiny hat! If it is warm you could get away with just a little shirt or onesie and a pair of little stretchy pants, socks and a hat!!! At leats I know for next time to buy SMALL!!!!! LOL Good Luck!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

mamagoosie
04-23-2003, 09:49 AM
Preemie outfits are the way to go - you can usually find some good deals on the sale rack at Gymboree. We scrambled out to get some because the 0-3 stuff was HUGE on my 6lb 6 oz dd for at least a month.

Alex

nitaghei
04-23-2003, 10:16 AM
I would recommend getting at least one side-snap shirt. DS was a vacuum extraction, and he had a HUGE bruise on his head when he was born. There was no way I could have pulled anything over his head for the first 3 weeks without causing him pain. The side snap shirts were a life-saver! I also found them easier to put on than something that pulled over the head. But that's just my experience.

Nita

Melanie
04-24-2003, 02:34 AM
LOL! It took us a week or so to get the 'pointing down' thing figured out!

I also want to 3rd the 'preemie' outfit suggestion! It's not like you're going to get a lot of use out of the 'going home outfit' and it's more for keepsake value, so I'd definitely spend the money on one next time.

We were *planning* to go home the same day with Ds (birth center birth) so we weren't worried about packing something fancy. In the end we came home from a 3-day hospital stay. I'd had to send Dh home to get clothes for Ds to wear.

jillkatz
04-24-2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all your help! I've packed my hospital bags and now just have to wait for the big day! 5 official days to go until my due date although I have a feeling I will be waiting longer...

Denyse
04-26-2003, 06:36 PM
We actually used onesies with Brett from the very beginning with no problems.

For going home, I'd dress your baby in a onesie(or side snap shirt) and then a romper or stretchy. Also make sure baby has on socks and a hat. Pack two or three receiving blankets.

Also, ditto the others on packing more than one outfit. And whatever you pack, make sure it's the smallest you have. Brett was 9lbs, 9oz and was SWIMMING in his newborn outfits that we packed.

chrissyhowie
04-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Ask a nice nurse if you can get one extra cap from the hospital. That was the only hat that would stay on Chloe's head at first. I looked at that cap the other day -- it is soooo worn out from all the washing and wearing!