PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove yellow stains from clothes

mary b
04-25-2003, 06:31 AM
Hi, I am starting to get out all of DD's clohtes and want to start washing and sorting for the new baby. Most of them have been stored in Rubbermaid bins. I notices several of them now have that yellowish stain on the whites. I haven't started washing them yet. Anyone have a foolproof plan to remove stain? Zout, bleach, etc?

TIA!

Mary
mom to Noelle 9-24-01 and #2 9-8-03

AngelaS
04-25-2003, 07:01 AM
Don't use bleach, unless it's a last ditch! LOL

Here's the recipe from the Tightwad Gazette, that I have use sucessfully on HUNDREDS of items (the one casualty was something that was bleached before I soaked it!!)

1/4 c Biz or Clorox 2 color safe bleach
1/4 c Cascade or other dishwasher detergent
1 gallon HOT tap water

Fully dissolve the powders in the water, then immerse your light colored, white or pastel clothes in the solution. (bright colors WILL run, even a stripe, so don't soak those!) Let the bucket sit for 12 to 24 hours, then dump it in the washer, add your other whites and wash. :)

I've had GREAT results with this, but don't skimp on the soaps or the soak time---I've left some things up to 2 days.... :D

egoldber
04-25-2003, 08:42 AM
FYI, dishwasher detergents contain bleaching agents. So I wouldn't use this recipe on colors.

I have good success with Zout and Biz. I have used a weak bleach solution on garments otherwise ruined, even on colors. I add a small amount of bleach to the washing machine and then fill the machine to its lowest level. I add the garment, let it agitate briefly, and then soak for at least 2 hours. This usually does the trick.

HTH,

lukkykatt
04-25-2003, 09:29 AM
I had the same thing happen to me and soaked everything overnight in OxiClean, then washed as usual. It worked great!

Good luck!

mharling
04-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Another vote for OxiClean!!! It has worked wonderfully for us.

Mary
Mommy to Lane 4/6/03

brubeck
04-25-2003, 12:16 PM
I had the same thing when I started sorting through baby things when I was pregnant with my son. I just used Spray N Wash and then did a whites load in hot water. The colors went in a warm load (they were pastels). Everything came out fine.

heidi_timms
04-25-2003, 02:59 PM
I have a question about Zout. Does it bleach or make colors run? Also, does anyone know where to buy Zout? I've tried a few different stores-Longs, Target, and Safeway and haven't been able to find it yet. DD isn't here yet, but I want to be prepared for the poopy blowouts!

egoldber
04-25-2003, 03:28 PM
You can use Zout on anything. It is perfectly safe for colors.

You can go to zout.com and they have a store locator. I get mine at Safeway, but I was VERY excited to discover that my local Target now carries it. :)

Denyse
04-26-2003, 06:25 PM
We use Dreft Stain Remover spray on stains. It works GREAT. It even got out stains that were set in the dryer before we caught them.