PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know why Baby Bargins wasn't too positive about Carter's brand clothes?

mrh123
04-30-2003, 08:06 AM
I note in the book that they just gave Carter's and "OK" - does anyone know why? Carter's seems to be EVERYWHERE and it would be great to be able to buy the stuff without worrying.

Thanks!

August Mom
04-30-2003, 08:28 AM
I do not know the specific rationale for the rating in the book, but I can relay my experience with Carters. Almost all of DS's sleepers are by Carters. He also has a couple of play outfits by Carters. I have found the sizing in the sleepers to vary widely. Some of his 3-6 month sleepers still fit and others are too small. Similarly, some of his new 6-9 month sleepers are HUGE while others fit, with just a little growing room. Also, I would say that Carters clothing is fine for 1 child (maybe 2) but these really aren't the things that you are going to pass from child to child or get good resale for when you're done. I have noticed moderate pilling on some styles, a strange pink discoloration on 2 of DS's blue terry sleepers (I have no idea what that is from) and a tiny hole in the foot of one sleeper. So, IMHO, I think that all adds up to OK. Carters items are fine. Some are very cute. They are not the softest in the world, but they are acceptable and they are functional. I would not hesitate to buy them, but make sure you have reasonable expectations from these clothes.

kaitlinsmommy
05-02-2003, 11:36 PM
I agree that Carter's sizing requires some guesswork. DD is 5 months & wore a 3 month Carter's sleeper last night. But she has tons of sleepers and Carter's has been my favorite. I think they are cute & they have lasted well for us.

Melanie
05-03-2003, 01:57 AM
I love Carter's clothing, but no two lines fit a like.

josephsmom
05-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Same experience here. Carter's has several different "lines," and they all fit differently. The cotton sleepers tend to shrink and fade, too. DS grew out of the John Lennon sleepers (which I loved!) faster than anything else in the same sizes. Also, I've had better experiences with t-shirts and onesies from Wal-Mart's Simply Basic brand. They have a thicker cotton material, shrink less, and cover a wider size range than Carter's, and they're a lot less expensive.

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

sarsah
05-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Their sizing is not consistant -- don't necessarily believe what the tag says. You can have two similar items with the same 'size tag' that are different sizes.

I have found Carters quality to be pretty good -- mostly I buy their 100% cotton PJs for my almost 3 year old and I have some terry sleepers for my baby due 5/16/03. A few pairs of pajamas have faded a lot after only a few washing, but since it's PJs, I dont' worry about it too much, especially since I ususally buy them on clearance for very inexpensive.

Sarah...

liya
05-03-2003, 07:35 PM
i dont know cause carters has worked for me!!!although it is true no 2 are alike but i have washed and washed and washed and they are still looking great....

Mommy to Arian Alexander
2-13-03

twins r fun
05-03-2003, 07:45 PM
I'm a huge Carter's fan. Their stuff does shrink to a degree, but nothing like the things I buy at Target or the things my MIL sends (where they're from I never know, but they are pretty much useless after one wash)! My boys now pretty much go through a size/season and the Carter's outfits last the entire season. I think they have such cute stuff, which is difficult to find when you get out of newborn boys-they at least make some boys clothes that aren't sports themed! Also they do the onsie/snap at the crotch shirts in bigger sizes, which is great. I think if you have to pay standard retail price they really are overpriced, but if you hit the outlets and sales they are good deals.

Nicole

Denyse
05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
We love our Carter's stuff but I have to agree. The sizing is all over the place. My mother just bought us two shorts rompers for summer, one 3-6 mos, one 6-9 mos. and they are exactly the same! So you have to really look at the item before you purchase it! Other than that, I think Carter's is great. They've held up and washed well for us. And since JCPenneys carries Carter's brand, you can almost ALWAYS get them at a discount. (Penney's has some sort of sale on just about ALL the time, it seems.) They are always soft and comfortable for Brett. I also noticed that Target is now carrying Tykes brand which is a division of Carter's. Same great quality, crazy sizing and the styles are usually as cute.

mharling
05-04-2003, 12:48 PM
We are big fans of Tykes. Cheap, good quality, and right now the 0-3 month sleepers are about the only things that fit ds! (Approx 7 1/2 lbs).

Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

AngelaS
05-05-2003, 05:39 AM
I really like Carters stuff too. I only buy my baby Carters or Gap pjs. Carters sleepers snap down BOTH legs. Their baby gowns are nice and thick and the elastic closes them nicely at the bottom. I also love their blanket sleepers 'cause they're not scratchy on the inside and stay soft wash after wash.

You really can't go wrong with the price either. Their one piece summer rompers were on sale a week or so ago at Kohls for $8. I love their little one piece rompers that look like a dress from the front and are actually just a bubble. LOL (Did that make sense?)

I agree that their sizing is a bit screwy. That's frustrating, but I still give their stuff a thumbs up!

Melanie
05-05-2003, 11:28 AM
BTW, their terry PJs were running bigger than the knit...so you'll get more usee out of them.