PDA

View Full Version : Summer and Onesies

newbelly2002
04-30-2003, 09:44 AM
Okay, I feel a bit foolish about having to ask this, but I'll go ahead anyway.

For most of the fall and winter, I've been dressing Dante in a onesie with a long-sleeve shirt over it. Part of the reason was for warmth, and part of it was so that every time I picked him up his shirt wouldn't rise up, expose his skin, and bunch underneath his arms.

Well the weather is getting warm and I'd like to dress him in short-sleeve T-shirts, but do you put a onesie underneath? This would seem a little warm. Do you just use a T-shirt and not worry about the bunching? Or do you just use a short-sleeve onesie (I have a few, but they're all plain white)? It's also tough to find onesies the bigger he gets.

What do y'all do?

Paula, Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33a3c3de467

trumansmom
04-30-2003, 09:58 AM
We went onesie-free in the summer last year. (And I'm defining onesie as an undershirt.) Some of his shirts snapped in the crotch, and some didn't.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

twins r fun
04-30-2003, 10:28 AM
Funny, I was just emailing with someome else on the boards about this!Last summer (when Jacob and Caleb were slightly younger than Dante) I hated that bunched up shirt/exposed belly thing. So I bought all one piece outfits or shirts that snap at the crotch-I felt it was too hot in the summer to layer. My MIL sent a bunch of t shirts and shorts sets and I think I put them on the boys once! It was a big deal last year because they were crawling/scooting/being carried everywhere and the shirt bunched up constantly. This year I started out buying mostly snap at the crotch shirts and some t shirts. Well when I tried on the crotch snap shirts, I found I didn't like that look on such old boys (18 months!)so I returned most of them and went with t shirts/shorts or one piece outfits. The exposed belly doesn't matter this year because they aren't crawling and aren't being carried as much. But I do know that the one piece and snap at the crotch shirts are harder to find as the sizes get bigger-I have good luck at Carter's and Children's Place here, but I know that won't help you much!

Nicole

Rachels
04-30-2003, 10:51 AM
LOL. I find there's a huge learning curve for baby-dressing. I've encountered slight panic each time the seasons have changed, trying to figure out clothes for Abigail. But I've just been doing t-shirts lately. They don't bunch terribly now that I'm not holding her every waking minute. Also, several places (including One Step Ahead, I think) sell a strap that effectively turns a t-shirt into a onesie, sort of like upside-down suspenders. So if it drives you crazy to have them bunch, you could try that.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
04-30-2003, 11:38 AM
It really is a preference thing. I hated layering with a onesie. I only used "dressy" onesies, that were meant to be an outfit. If not, then her shirt scrunched up. It never seemed to bother her!

This summer, since she is walking, its just shorts and T-shirts.

HTH,

dueinmay
04-30-2003, 01:00 PM
I'm confused about "summer and onesies" too! I just read this thread and now I'm wondering: in the summer, do you use a nice onesie as an outfit? That is mostly what I had planned, but I'm not sure if it will be enough for a very young infant (I'm due in May). Would just a onesie work well for around the house? For going out to the store? I know it will be hot & humid here in DC, but what about the A/C inside? For that reason, my mom mentioned that a long sleeved sleeper may be better, or that I may want a pair of pants or cotton tights to go with the onesie (I have only one pair of these, though about a thousand onesies!). Finally, when you dress your infant do you take into account whether she'll be in a sling/pouch? I've ordered a fleece pouch from Kang Korner and would imagine she'd be pretty cozy in there even in just a onesie.

Suggestions?

Rebecca
#1 due 5-13-03

egoldber
04-30-2003, 01:09 PM
We live in Northern VA. Sarah was born in August, and during the day I dressed her almost exclusively in shorts type rompers and onesies (outfit type onesies) until it turned cold. At night, with the AC on, I put her in just a onesie when we were swaddling. After we stopped swaddling, I used long sleeve sleepers (without feet). Today I had her outside in a short sleeve shirt and shorts. You'll figure it all out!!!

HTH,

dueinmay
04-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Hi Beth,

Thanks for clearing up my confusion -- and I'm relieved to know I don't have to go out and buy pants to go with all those onesies! (I am really ready to be FINISHED shopping!) :)

By the way, did you by any chance happen to deliver at Georgetown? That's where we will be and I'd be curious to hear about someone else's experience there.

Rebecca
#1 due 5-13-03

egoldber
04-30-2003, 07:05 PM
No, I delivered at Inova Fairfax.

Good luck!!

sweetbasil
04-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Paula,
DS was born in the winter, and in Houston, where it usually warms up to shorts/t-shirt weather by March, I never had him in undershirts after that.

I've found some pretty good deals on little onesies (to use as shirts :)) at Gymboree... www.gymboree.com has a special deal going now w/free shipping on purchases over $75 (code FREESHIP) and an additional 20% off all sale items- I don't know if they'll send overseas (though you probably know!). Anyway, depending on the style/print, you can find them up to 3T, and they call them bodysuits. They hold up really well, and are priced at $3.99 for solids, $7.19-$12.50 for prints. I found that after DS's first summer, the bodysuit/snap crotch thing was more of a hassle- especially now that he's thinking about potty-training.

mam615
04-30-2003, 07:41 PM
THis may be mere coincidence, but I've noticed an inordinate number of poop accidents (leakage) on days when I skip the onesie. I think it might help hold the diaper in place, especially with my squiggly little one. I'm planning to keep using the onesies (with no shirt over if it gets too hot) this summer.

himom
04-30-2003, 09:23 PM
Here’s my two cents……

We’re in Hawaii, where the temp usually hovers around 70 or 80 (today it’s 85) and the humidity is pretty high.

During the day around the house I put DS in either a onesie or just a t-shirt and a diaper. At night I put him in a long-sleeved footed sleeper or long pajamas with socks. Now that it’s getting warmer I’ll probably leave off the socks since he’s starting to get sweaty.

To go out during the day, I have cute “dressy” onesies (mostly from either Carter’s or Ross). I also take a comfy blanket to cover him in his seat in case it gets breezy or we go into air conditioning.

For evenings out, I put him in long sleeves, long pants and socks, no layering. Sometimes I cheat and put him in a long sleeved onesie and just cover his legs with the blanket when it feels chilly.

Mostly I just kind of watch him...if it’s cold, I change to warmer clothes. If he’s sweaty, I pull off his pants or change his shirt. =) I guess that’s what everybody else does too! Just mommies playing it by ear.

The one thing I never do is layer. It’s just way too warm, even in February (when he was born).

Mommy to Joshua Keoni, 2/8/03

vikivoly
05-07-2003, 11:12 PM
I guess it's that time of year! I've been asking everyone how to dress my DD. She was born in November and I don't know how to dress her for summer. I like onesies because they seem to help with blow outs and provide a layer between her outfits and skin. But, I am worried it may get too hot in the summer.

I've been looking for sleeveless onesies, since many of her summer outfits and dresses are sleeveless. Anyone see plain, white, sleeveless onsies?

liya
05-08-2003, 11:10 PM
same here...i live in puerto rico so the temp is basically the same as in Hawaii....and right now its soooooo hot that to be in the house i jsut use a front snap tee..........

mama2be
05-09-2003, 06:51 PM
I've wondered this as well...I rarely lately put Tristan in a onesie I am an overall lover and sport him around in overalls and he even has little Gap denim shorts and gap khaki's. My mom thought I dress him too little boyish and not babyish...but he has so many overalls and I just love them!!!

He does not seem to mind either when I do denim shorts and top that does scrunch...but that was my fear too...

MartiesMom2B
05-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Rebecca:

When I lived in the DC area I knew several people who delivered at Georgetown and I heard nothing but positive feedback about delivering there.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm