PDA

View Full Version : How do I dress this 2 month old?

etwahl
05-13-2003, 10:07 AM
I had visions of dressing my baby all cute, but whenever I do, I inevitably end up taking the outfit off halfway through the day and putting her in a sleeper because it's just easier.

How should I dress her? Should I feel badly for dressing her in the snap up sleepers all the time?

Also, how do I shop for clothes for her when I want easy to wear clothing? Should I mostly consider just onesies and pants (or shorts coming up soon). Is that the easiest? I hate having her shirts/sweaters ride up when I have them on.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

Marisa6826
05-13-2003, 11:24 AM
For the first 8-10w we dressed Sophie in a onesie and a sleeper since she didn't go out except to the pediatrician (she was a winter baby).

After that, I tried to at least put different "daytime" outfits on her. a) because I felt guilty about always having her in her jammies and b) I wanted to get some wear out of all the cute little clothes she has.

Carters has really cute little t-shirt dresses with diaper covers for about $9. For the summer we bought a bunch of little rompers.

Honestly, though, I think onesies and a hat (ALWAYS A HAT!) are just fine.

I saw little sleeveless onesies (with small ruffles on the shoulder) in different colours for $4 at Target yesterday. They (or something similar) would solve the riding up problem.

-m

chrissyhowie
05-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Don't feel bad about being in a sleeper all day! Heck, if I didn't have to go to work and look presentable, I'd love to walk around in a snap-up sleeper all day :P ! (I'd also love if someone carried ME around all day too! LOL!)

DD mainly hangs out in sleepers. If we go out I change her into a cute outfit -- mainly because I want the cute clothes we got as gifts to go to good use. I often change her back with the first diaper change we do when we return home.

I think of it like this -- when I get home from work, I often change into more casual clothes, and this is despite the fact that I don't have to dress formally for work. I just do that to keep the slightly nicer stuff clean for longer. Changing DD back into a sleeper to me is kind of along the same line of thinking.

For ease of dressing, get pants that have snaps along the legs and crotch. I have a 0-3month pair of jeans from Baby Gap that I love because they are easy and so cute. They are the only pair that I have that have the snaps so she ends up wearing those jeans a lot! One-piece rompers that snap at the crotch are also very cute and easy. Many of them look like dresses too.

HTH,

Karenn
05-13-2003, 12:20 PM
My mom laughed (in a loving way) at all of my "outfits" for Colin and thought it was funny that I would only put him in a "sleeper" for nighttime. She told me that when I was a baby, "sleepers" WERE the outfit. They weren't called sleepers, and they were what babies were dressed in all day long. After she told me that, I had an easier time leaving him in a sleeper. Another thing I found that I liked were the onesie/sweatpant combinations by Little Tykes that they sell at Target. To me, they were cute and "outfit like" but still comfy and easy to deal with. Also, I LOVE the Eric Carle line that Carters has out right now. It has some cute onesie/pants combinations too.

Andrea S
05-13-2003, 12:21 PM
I loved the gap one piece outfits. Andrew had a bear one and a green polka dot one that he looked adorable in and of course we had the matching hats and booties.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

egoldber
05-13-2003, 01:22 PM
For a young baby, I really prefer the one piece outfits. I tried to find "sleepers" that didn't scream bedtime and used those all day. I don't think I put her in anything else (only very occasionally) until she was 5-6 months.

For older babies and toddlers, I prefer two piece outfits.

HTH,

brubeck
05-13-2003, 06:07 PM
Sleepers are the uniform until at least 6 months of age! For the summer, try getting some of those 'rompers' for girls. I got Amy 4 cute ones at Carter's for her first summer. They are basically one piece shorts outfits with about 4 snaps at the crotch. Perfect for summer, they look like an outfit and they are easy to wash and put on and off. And they don't ride up or impede babies who are learrning to roll, sit and crawl.

Save the outfits for when the in-laws visit!

C99
05-13-2003, 09:43 PM
Tammy, I totally know how you feel! Now that (a) it's warmer (since we live in the Midwest rather than sunny San Diego!) and (b) he's bigger, I've started dressing him in 2-piece outfits. I don't like t-shirts that don't snap at the bottom, since they untuck from his pants.

There are MUCH cuter things for girls than there are for boys, so definitely have fun with it! I second Helen's suggestion of rompers, etc.

Melanie
05-15-2003, 10:31 PM
We started out that way but quickly switched to other clothing b/c it was a suggestion for helping Jonah tell day from night (BIG problem in our house the early weeks).

Choices are much more limited for boys & it was a different season, but we did a lot of the Little Tykes/Carter's style knit pants & onesie or overall outfits.

If I had a girl I'd buy tons of those ADORABLE (Carter's I think) dresses where the diaper cover is attached so it's actually just one piece. Those are so cute.

Mommy to Jonah

MarieMW
05-19-2003, 03:30 PM
I think sleepers are wonderful! When the summer comes, you can put her in the two piece diaper cover outfits as well. My only advice, and I learned this the hard way, is when a little girl is in the crawling stage, don't waste too much money on dresses because it hampers the ability for little girls to crawl. Once she's able to crawl and lift herself up to walk, dresses are perfect and SOOOOO much fun to buy.

Marie
daughter of two girlie girls... ages 2 and 5