PDA

View Full Version : hair accessories that stay?

akc
05-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Hi all -

My 10 mo old DD is at the stage where I could/should pull her hair back with a barrette or little ponytail. Before I go buying, I was wondering if people had recommendations on a particular brand of barrette or ponytail holder to buy? I have two of the types that are soft fabric with elastic that goes all the way around her head (like a headband), but she pulls that off in 2 seconds!

Thanks!
Alexa

colleenfs
05-19-2003, 11:13 AM
There was a big discussion of this last month. Here is the thread -http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/561.html

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

nohomama
05-19-2003, 11:17 AM
For us it wasn't a particular brand but rather a particular style of barrette that's worked. Lola has a lot of REALLY fine hair and most barrettes slide ride out. The kind we've had success with are the type that you bend back and forth to open and close. They can be found almost anywhere: drugstore, grocery store, Target, H&M, The Children's Place, Gymboree, etc..

As for keeping baby from pulling them out, that's a different matter. For me the key has been persistence. Generally I'm more interested in keeping the barrette in her her hair than Lola is in pulling it out. Now Lola only occassionally rips the barrette off her head (it could be my persistence paid off or it could be that her hair's so long she has a difficult time seeing without it) but in the beginning I was constantly having to put the thing back in.

MarieMW
05-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi, I have two daughters, both have fine hair (they are now 2 and 5 years old). I started putting clips in their hair at about the same age. I recommend staying away from the velcro ones (waste of money), the headbands are ok but also slide around the head a lot and just end up around their neck like necklaces. The best ones were the little butterfly clips that have the teeth and you squeeze them to open up the teeth. You can gather the hair into a ponytail and clip the hair up into a little twist and that should keep it secure enough that she doesn't pull it out, but because these things (clips and barrettes) are so small, they are a choking hazard, so only do it if you can keep an eye on her.