PDA

View Full Version : Do babies need their ears covered in warm weather?

vikivoly
05-26-2003, 08:11 AM
My Mom insists that my 6 month old will get an earache if her ears aren't covered. You used to see babies wearing bonnets or hats with flaps to cover their ears all of the time. Now, they only sale sun hats without ear flaps. Is this out-dated?

Please help, I hate to tell my wonderful Mother (who raised 5 healthy children and is on grandchild #9) that her advise has gone by the wayside again!

Rachels
05-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Outdated! Ear infections are caused by bacteria, not hatlessness. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Caitlins Mommy
05-26-2003, 09:56 AM
I TAW Rachel!Now alot of doctors do recomend that you put a light weight hat on them in the spring/summer if you take the baby outside,but thats to prevent the ears/forhead/ect from getting sunburned.And those hats that you saw with the flaps,are for keeping the ears and neck covered so they don't get sunburned.

If you don't want to use a hat though ,I'd call your ped and see what kind of sunscreen he/she recomends.

Jennifer mommy to Caitlin Hope 9/28/96
Trying to give Caitlin a brother or sister

liya
05-26-2003, 10:53 AM
No girl...If ou cover your babys ears chances are she'll get extemely hot...its not good if babys are too hot or to cold it has to be neutral...

chrissyhowie
05-26-2003, 07:35 PM
They sell a summer hat with flaps at One Step Ahead:
http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=713&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=713&change=117

I've never seen it IRL but it looks kind of cool. Hmmm...I think DD may be getting a new hat!