PDA

View Full Version : When/how do I use onesies?!

dueinmay
06-06-2003, 09:20 AM
This has got to seem like a very silly question, but: I have a bunch of short sleeve, and a few long sleeve, onesies I purchased before DD was born. She is now 3 weeks old, and I've not used any one of them yet! I have been putting her in a sleeper all the time. I'd love to use the onesies (some are very cute!), but I guess I think it would be too warm to layer the onesie under the sleeper, and not warm enough for her to wear just the onesie. (Perhaps as the summer heats up; though inside with the AC it won't be very warm . . . ) Am I missing something? Am I supposed to make outfits with them by combining pants, etc.? (Not sure I'm up for that "challenge" yet -- I myself am still usually in my pajamas all day at this point!)

What do you do with your onesies?

Rebecca

It's a girl!

stillplayswithbarbies
06-06-2003, 09:29 AM
I layer a onsie under almost every outfit. It's still cool enough for that here.

Especially if she is wearing a shirt and pants or a skirt, I put a onsie on underneath so her tummy is covered when the shirt rides up.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

nitaghei
06-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Depends on the onseies.

The thin ones (e.g. Carter's) with short sleeves I use as undershirts, even under sleepers. And I plan to do that even in the summer, because we keep the house quite cool.

Nicer ones, that look like shirts, I use as shirts under (my most recent revelation) overalls /shortalls!! It looks cute, and eliminates the bunched up / bare back/belly look!

Though, I have to admit that DS lived in sleepers for the first 3 months of his life - it was a cold, cold, loooong winter (at least, that's my story! :))

HTH

Nita

chrissyhowie
06-06-2003, 10:41 AM
My DD lived in sleepers until she was about two months. The only time I used the onesies were when we went out and I felt like dressing her up. Even then, after I'd come home I'd change her back into the sleeper with the first diaper change. The onesies are really cute but the ease of not having to pull something over the head to get it on/off was too appealing early on. I also didn't want/need to bother with the extra layer under the sleeper, although lots of moms do layer like that.

Once DD got a little older and got some chub around her legs, she hangs out in onesies all day. This way we can just pull pants and a sweater onto her if we are going out. We now hardly ever use the footed sleepers. So the time for cute outfits will come!

Karenn
06-06-2003, 10:46 AM
During the cooler months, I use a onesie as an undershirt and put it under outfits. Lately though, I've just been putting him in the outfit without a onesie because it would be too hot otherwise.

When it's really hot, I will put him in only a onesie. In fact, that's what he slept in last night with a sleep sack. (No A/C here!)

I do sometimes make outfits with the dressier ones, but I tend to treat most of his onesies more like underwear.

HTH,

egoldber
06-06-2003, 01:14 PM
I never layered with onesies. In fact, I ONLY had the dressy type onesies that are part of outfits. Whether or not to layer with onesies, really seems to be a preference thing. Don't feel bad for not using onesies. :)

My DD lived in sleepers until about 6 months. We had "casual" sleepers for home and "dressy" sleepers for going out. :) After that, I liked the long sleeve onesies with pants outfits (but it was winter here then). And once they start walking, two piece, non-snap outfits tend to work really well.

HTH,

flagger
06-06-2003, 01:56 PM
I made a post earlier that we had 23 NB onesies and ended up taking some back. That is all she has worn since coming home plus the picture we took with the Snoopy's. It is pretty warm and humid here so besides being swaddled, she wears the onesie to bed. We are not using any of the sleepers at all. It is just too warm in the house even with the A/C on (second floor). In fact she ends up wiggling out of her swaddle blanket by the end of the night because I guess she gets hot.

jd11365
06-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Onesies are what she wears outside...we live in Florida, so it's an appropriate outfit with socks and a light blanket. Mine are printed too, so they are more like outfits rather than plain white onesies.

BTW, I heard someone call them Oh-nee-sies...which I thought was a hoot because she was serious. Now my DH and I can't stop pronouncing it that way because we thought it was so funny!