PDA

View Full Version : I'm so glad I bought 0-3 month clothing even though DS is a huge newborn!

justlearning
06-09-2003, 09:48 PM
Over a month ago there was a thread on this board asking if 0-3 month clothing would really be necessary if the baby was big at birth. The responses to that thread were yes--it is important to have clothes in that size. I just wanted to say that I'm very thankful I read that thread back then because I previously had been following my mom's advice and just buying mostly 3-6 months outfits (also only getting mostly that size or larger as gifts) because my mom said that my brother, who was 10lbs, 9 oz. went directly into 3-month clothing.

After reading the previous thread, I did purchase some 0-3 months clothes before my son was born. Well, it turns out my son was 10lbs., 13 oz. at birth and now weighs 12 lbs., 9oz. and 23" at 3 weeks but I'm still putting him in 0-3 months outfits. Yes, he is wearing some onesies now in the 3-6 month size but all other clothes he's wearing are still 0-3 and even the shorts and pants in that size are too long for him. (Why do they make them so long?!)

I just wanted to share this to say thanks to those who responded to that earlier thread for helping me out and to pass along this info. in case other new moms-to-be are wondering about the sizing issue.

Marisa6826
06-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Hi Anne!

Glad to hear you're getting use out of those cute little clothes!

Everybody told me the same thing, but believe it or not, Sophie (who is officially six months tomorrow!) is STILL wearing a lot of her 0-3 clothes.

She's only JUST starting to grow out of them. I'm half sorry to see them go and half glad because I'm getting tired of the same outfits!

And FWIW, we ALWAYS have to roll up sleeves!!

Hugs to Ethan

-m

colleenfs
06-10-2003, 04:47 AM
Julia was a good sized baby at birth - 8 pounds 4 ounces, but she wore her 0-3 month clothes until she was over 3 months old. At 17 months, she can wear clothes ranging in size from 12-24 months now!

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

stillplayswithbarbies
06-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Logan was 8 lb 6 oz and the 0-3 clothes were big on her at first, but she is still wearing many of them at 11 weeks. She also fits in to 3-6 sizes now, so we have double the wardrobe to choose from at the moment.

What I wish is that I had bought a preemie size to come home from the hospital in, and some newborn sizes to wear at first. For the first two or three weeks, the 0-3 were too big and she looked silly. But I wouldn't want to buy too many outfits in that size, just maybe 3 or 4 so baby can look nice when you want.

My son was 9 lb 8 oz and he went straight into 3-6 sizes, so that approach would not have worked with him though. Logan seems to be shaped differently, as well as being smaller in weight.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

JustMare
06-10-2003, 08:37 PM
I am so glad you posted this!!!

I'm dying to start shopping!! :) But don't know where to begin. So I figured I'd start with neutral t-shirts and onesies until we know the sex (I'm such a planner!).

This afternoon my MIL told me that my DH was 12lbs, 2oz at birth and that my SIL was 13lbs, 3ozs. Those are turkeys!!! :) I was a peanut at 6lbs! I hope and pray we'll have something in the middle like around 7 or 8lbs!

So when I heard DH was a turkey, I got nervous. I really thought for a moment we'd need large clothes to play it safe, but I'm glad to hear that 0-3 is needed for some period of time.

How many t-shirts and onesies do you recommend?

malie
06-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Mare,
If you think anyone is going to throw you a shower, resist buying too many pieces of clothing now (not saying it isn't hard but honestly sometimes it's better to wait and fill in what you need then having to return things because you end up with lots of one thing or another).

I think the book has a suggested list for a layette but how much you need depends in part how often you are going to do laundry. It's hard of course when you really start to want to buy. But figure out your budget before hand otherwise you could end up spending a lot more on clothing because you get into the oh this is so cute I can always use one more can't I mode? (I refuse to believe I'm the only one that has done that ;-) )

parkersmama
06-11-2003, 04:32 PM
I agree...0-3s are a necessity! Amy Grace is still wearing them at 5 1/2 weeks old with plenty of room. She was 9lbs, 2 oz at birth so pretty big. My only thing is that I'm getting sick of the small size (we only have a few things) and looking longingly at her closetful of 3-6 mos. stuff that she can't wear yet!! LOL!