PDA

View Full Version : Baby's Coming Home Outfit

new_mommy25
06-14-2003, 03:01 AM
I was just wondering what all of you folks dressed your babies in when you brought them home from the hospital. I heard that you are not supposed to use onesies until the umbilical stump falls off. However, many of the websites I see feature "take me home" outfits that include footed sleepers, cardigans and hats. I'm a little confused!
So I am thinking probably pants with a t-shirt or kimono along with a sweater, cap, and socks/booties (unless the pants have feet). I know it's probably a little early for me to obsess about, but for some reason it has been on my mind a lot lately.
Thanks!
http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductFrame.asp?SIND=1&BrandID=81
I really liked the kimono tee and legging set. My mother is knitting a cardigan and hat (several actually!). What do you folks think?

sweetbasil
06-14-2003, 11:06 AM
new_mommy,
That's a precious little outfit! The little kimono shirt is so adorable! And it's NEVER too early to start obsessing about the fun stuff! ;)

Our first choice, though we have a Feltman Bros. bubble as a backup---in case this one doesn't fit, gets messed on, etc., is an outfit my mom bought for us a few months ago:
http://www.strasburgchildren.com/blublocprind.html

then I got its matching receiving blanket and booties:
http://www.strasburgchildren.com/noname23.html

It's so hot in Texas that I wanted the clothing to be substantial, but lightweight at the same time. Plus, the drive home from the hospital will take all of 7 minutes :)

Best wishes in these last few months of your pregnancy!

stillplayswithbarbies
06-14-2003, 06:33 PM
I brought her home in a sweater romper, the same one her big brother came home in 12 years ago.

Underneath she had on a side snap t-shirt. That protected the belly button stump from rubbing on the sweater.

It's more of a ceremonial thing, and a photo op, than anything else. As soon as we got home, (a 10 minute drive) we changed her into a sleeper.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

new_mommy25
06-14-2003, 09:55 PM
Oh my, those outfits are absolutely adorable! I bookmarked the page, as I'll definetly have to do some shopping there.
Thanks for making me feel normal. This is my first child and I've been obsessing about every aspect, from the right stroller, to the nursery theme,to the clothes, to the way I want to give birth.
But really, I'm just ready for this all to be over so I can just hold my little boy.
Good night all.

Melanie
06-15-2003, 11:12 AM
We were expecting an immediate discharge from a birthing center so we just had regular clothes to bring our son home in. It was a puppy sleeper, the tiniest outfit we had and it was still HUGE b/c he was down to 7 lbs when we left the hospital. Next time I'm taking a preemie outfit.

votre_ami03
06-16-2003, 11:40 AM
I have been giving this a lot of thought lately myself. The outfits posted are adorable! It will be very hot here when Nolan arrives, 110+, Phoenix is July. The Dr keeps saying this is going to be a BIG baby, but not sure exactly how big that is. Knowing me, I will probably bring a variety of outfits & see what I am in the mood for. :D

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan

millerpjm
06-16-2003, 01:19 PM
I brought baby home in a sleeper because he was TOO SMALL for the going home outfit I picked out (fleece overalls with shirt and matching hat/booties for a Wisconsin February day). he was only 6lbs5oz when I took him home. My personal advice is nothing over the head unless you are used to floopy babies! I was sooo nervous baout dressing him and avoided over the head outfits for weeks! I had side snap t shirts under everything! That kimono set is cute.... good luck!

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas (4 1/2 months old)

mrh123
06-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Thank you so much for asking this question. I am also worried about this. I've registered for some of those same things on babystyle. The kimono set leggings bug me a bit because they don't snap up (at least not that I remember) but I do love that outfit!

August Mom
06-17-2003, 09:48 PM
DS came home in a "nice" sleeper. It had a matching hat and blanket although the hat was HUGE. I would suggest taking a preemie outfit for the coming home photo. The 0-3 month sleep was way too big and DS was average - 7 lb. 6 oz. Also, you probably don't want pants because the elastic waist band could irritate the cord stump -- the same reason that onesies aren't recommended. I would think that a one piece outfit would be best. Just my .02. Have fun!

Melanie
06-18-2003, 02:15 AM
>Thank you so much for asking this question. I am also
>worried about this. I've registered for some of those same
>things on babystyle. The kimono set leggings bug me a bit
>because they don't snap up (at least not that I remember)
>but I do love that outfit!

I was hung up on the snapping-crotch pants, too. However I've found it not to be that big of a deal to just pull them down after all. Some I even preferred b/c unsnapping them and then folding that bulk up under his back seemed like it would be uncomfortable. The only things I really use the snaps for are one-piece outfits, now.

Mommy to Jonah

starrynight
06-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Both of my kids came home in a one piece outfit because I was afraid of pants agreevating their stump. I took a 0-3 months size outfit that snapped in the legs and a cap to cover their heads. But my son was on the big side and his cap didn't fit :lol. The hospital had to give me a bigger hat so he had something to cover his hugh head.

new_mommy25
06-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks, I didn't think about the pant irritating the stump. I saw some really cute outfits at the Gap the other day. The newborn size went up to 7 lbs. and 17 in? I was 10 lbs. at birth and am worried that I'll have a big baby or a long baby. I think I'm going to bring a newborn size and a 0-3 month size just in case.

votre_ami03
06-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Angelita,

I was just at Macy's yesterday & I found some cute one piece knit outfits. Nothing elaborate, but it seemed loose enough to not irritate their stump.

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan

new_mommy25
06-20-2003, 01:16 PM
Thanks Christy. Unfortunetly we don't have a Macy's here, but I think I'm going to look at Nordstroms. I don't usually go there because they're baby clothes are on the expensive side, but I'm willing to pay extra for a cute going home outfit. I know everyone will be snapping pictures like crazy!

votre_ami03
06-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Dang! Hopefully, you can catch a good sale then. ;) I think the outfit I found was 18, but it was on sale & on sale again. What a steal! Good luck!

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan