PDA

View Full Version : What to wear coming home & while stump is healing

skp
06-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Hi expert moms,

Just wondering what the baby should wear while the stump heals. Are onsies totally out for the time when it's still healing? Even with a t-shirt and diaper, wouldn't I still be putting an outfit over everything that may irritate the stump.

Also, for a newborn come home outfit, would a gown with booties be ok or is something with legs better?

Your help is much appreciated!!
Thanks!!

redhookmom
06-27-2003, 02:33 PM
Until the stump fell off I used snap front t-shirts and loose outfits.

I think something with legs would be better because you would have to hike the gown up in order to buckle your bundle into the carseat.

HTH

nitaghei
06-27-2003, 02:33 PM
We used a side-snap shirt, with a sleeper. The sleeper fits over the shirt, which protects the stump. Does that make sense? You will definitely need something with legs to fit the baby in the car seat.

BTW- the other reasons to go with a side-snap shirt: 1) I found it easier to put on during the new born floppy head stage; and 2) hopefully you won't need a vacuum extraction, but if you do, it's really painful to pull anything over the baby's head when he/she has a huge bruise there. We ended up using the side-snap shirts for several weeks, until DS's head healed.

HTH

Nita

votre_ami03
06-27-2003, 03:30 PM
I was advised not to use a gown for the home coming for the same reason above, buckling the car seat.

I found a one piece pants outfit w/short sleeves for our future son & will have a side snap tee underneath, for his take home outfit.

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan

JustMare
06-27-2003, 10:25 PM
This is what was recommended to me for a take home outfit. Snaps all the way down are a must (so I've heard).

http://www.gap.com/asp/Product.asp?wdid=608550&wpid=1878363

I bought the teddy bear sleeper with matching knot hat. I figure I only live 4 blocks from the hospital I don't need anything fancier.

jubilee
06-28-2003, 12:37 AM
A nice loose onesie will protect the stump (but it doesn't have any feeling anyway). I actually didn't like the side snap t-shirts, so used the onesies from day one. As for a coming home outfit, any cute sleeper will do. But do remember to bring a really cute outfit to the hospital in case they do professional pics.

parkersmama
06-28-2003, 09:17 AM
I think the concern with the stump is that it get plenty of air to dry out and fall off. Everyone gets confused that it will get irritated by clothing but, like you said, it doesn't have any feeling!

I'd go for something that either snaps or zips all the way up the front and doesn't have to be pulled over the head. Or something that can be put on from the feet...lots of outfits have wide enough openings when you unsnap the necks that you can pull them on from the bottom and then snap the tops.

skp
07-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Thanks to all of you for your help - your input has helped tremendously!

Melanie
07-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Our son was just swimming (at 7 1/2 lbs) in all his clothes anyhow, so he wore onesies, shirts, pants...really anything.

heidi_timms
07-01-2003, 06:56 PM
DD came home in a one-piece outfit and it didn't bother her stump at all. She was 7lb 2 oz and wore a preemie outfit home. I remember reading a thread a while back that said most wished they had brought a preemie outfit to the hospital because 0-3 months dwarfed their baby.

Also, I would bring a nice receiving blanket to the hospital. When they came to do DD's picture at the hospital, I had the option of using the blanket as a picture background because the they lay the baby in the bassinet photo taker and the background is ugly.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03