PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if its a sleeper?

MartiesMom2B
06-30-2003, 10:06 AM
I think I'm baby clothing challenged. Now that I've inspected Marties 3-6 month wardrobe, I'm wondering if some of my outfits can be used for sleepwear as well. Does all sleepwear have to be footies? If an outfit is a one piece outfit and the tag does not say "Not intended for sleepwear" does that mean that its safe to sleep in?

TIA!!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
06-30-2003, 10:17 AM
If it is not baggy, it is safe to sleep in.

The issue with kids' pajamas is that if there is a fire and the child is trying to get out, any trailing fabric such as a nightgown is at risk of catching fire. So sleepwear must EITHER be flame retardant or be tightfitting so as not to billow and drape and get in the flames in case of a fire. That's the way I understand it anyway, I could be wrong.

Even a "sleeper" that is too big for the baby and the feet dangle could be dangerous in a fire. Most sleepwear today is not treated to make it flame retardant, it is just meant to be worn tight.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

August Mom
06-30-2003, 11:48 AM
As I understand it, the tight fitting issue and/or flame retardant treatment doesn't even apply for the industry until 9 months. I guess the thought is that the baby isn't going to moving around by him or herself during a fire anyway.

votre_ami03
06-30-2003, 01:54 PM
This is s good question! I bought some outfits for our son, that I would rather use as a sleeper, than an outfit. One says the same thing, "not intended for sleepwear". I wondered what diff it made, btw, these were either 3-6 mos or 6-9 mos.

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan

egoldber
06-30-2003, 02:10 PM
Sonia,

I call anything that looks like this: http://www.gap.com/asp/Product.asp?wdid=605510&wpid=188327 a sleeper, regardless of whether or not it has feet. And Sarah had "daytime" sleepers that she wore out and about, and nighttime "sleepers". :)

Although to be honest, whatever she was wearing at "bedtime" was what she wore to bed!