PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy clothes for next year?

cinrein
07-06-2003, 10:16 PM
I notice that all the summer clothes are going on clearance and the fall clothing is coming out. Does anyone buy clothes now for next summer? How do you know what size to buy? I'd love to take advantage of the sales, but I'm afraid I'll get the wrong size and be stuck with clothes I can't use. Anna has already grown so much faster than I ever dreamed.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

kkb99
07-06-2003, 10:59 PM
I ALWAYS do this!! Even more so- my mom does this. Her hobby is bargain shopping for kids clothes! She gets such awesome buys. For example, $1 t shirts, $5 for a normally $50 Gap sweater!! $5 for $50 fleece lined Gap jeans!

My kids were pretty much always wearing their age in size. For instance, my 19 mo old dd is wearing 18-24 mo now. That makes it way easier to buy for (although it is still a guess, you never know what they'll do, plus the clothes really vary so much in their sizes!! pet peave here). You won't really know about that yet, since your dd is still so young and in the really fast growth stage. What I would do if I were you, is to limit myself to really fabulous buys ( at least half off), and get mostly 12-18 mo stuff, and some 18-24 mo stuff. Also, there is more leeway in shorts, as compared to pants (if they are a little long or short, they are still fine), and same with dresses.

Hope this helps!
Kristen

heidi_timms
07-07-2003, 02:25 AM
I have noticed some fabulous sales as well and I've started picking up a few things for future use. It's definitely a risk size-wise, but I agree on only pick up things that are really good deals.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

LD92599
07-07-2003, 06:18 AM
I've bought a ton of stuff for next winter and summer already...but left tags on everything and the receipts in DS's closet...Sears and Lord & Taylor (among many other stores I'm sure) will take anything back next year so long as I have the receipt and tags. I am afraid I bought everything too big, but I suppose too big would be better than too small!

Laura
mom to William 3.5.2003

AngelaS
07-07-2003, 06:22 AM
I ALWAYS buy ahead. I love to garage sale, so even if something doesn't fit, I can resell it later and usually come out at least even.

Adrienne always wore her age. At 1 she wore 12 months. At two she wore 24m or 2T. I found that once she hit 2, she wore that size for a whole year, so I needed both summer and winter clothes in a 2T, then 3T, then 4T and so on.

Gabrielle is a bit smaller tho and now at 13 months, she's still wearing mostly 6/12 month things. That means that most of the 1/24 month things I bought her for this coming winter may not fit until next winter. OOPS!

If they don't fit at the right time, there's always eBay. :D

cinrein
07-07-2003, 08:00 AM
Anna is wearing 6-9 mos size now and just went to 9-12 mos sizes in sleepers. I know, she's just 5 mos old! What can I say except that she has her Daddy's appetite! :) She is long and plump, so she needs both the length and width of the larger sized clothing.

I was thinking of buying 24 mos or 2T sizes for next summer. I'm just not sure when (if?) this fast growth rate will slow down.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

Momof3Labs
07-07-2003, 08:12 AM
If you want to make a somewhat intelligent guess, look at a growth chart. Find the percentile where she is at now, and follow that percentile out a year. There's no guarantee that she will be that size in a year, but it probably as accurate as anything!

egoldber
07-07-2003, 08:20 AM
I buy some things ahead of time, but not everything. I have found that baby and kids clothes are always on sale. I may save a few dollars by buying everything the year ahead, but not so much that it is worth the risk. I usually buy about a third of her clothes the year ahead and then round out with sales and deals during the current season.

One thing to think about is clothes styles I "liked" the previous year, I may not be so fond of the next year. For example, one piece outfits are great for babies, but for toddlers 2 piece outfits are much easier. I like to leave room for my changing preferences too.

HTH,

malie
07-07-2003, 09:09 AM
Like everyone else I have purchases a few things for future wear, but one of my number one rules is that it has to be paid in cash or if I have to be on a credit card then it has to be on one that I pay off every month and therefore never pay any interest on. Sale clothing really isn't much of a deal if it's put on a credit card that has a balance and so you end up paying interest on it. Remember Baby Gap is another one that will take clothing back for an unlimited period of time if you have a receipt and the tags are still on

votre_ami03
07-07-2003, 01:16 PM
I have been buying tons & my son isn't even here yet! Where we live, you have two seasons, hot & cool (Phoenix). ;) I have been buying summer stuff in 12 & 18 mos, it starts to warm up in Feb & March here, spring temps for most climates. For winter, I buy 6/9 & 12 mos too. I plan to have a good sized kid.

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan

parkersmama
07-07-2003, 02:21 PM
I generally don't buy a lot for next year. I find that I always want to get the new stuff and end up with way too many clothes if I've bought too much ahead of time. Silly but true for me so I try to avoid it! I've gotten some Hanna Andersson, Lands' End(from Sears), and Gymboree stuff for next summer for Amy Grace but nothing for the boys yet. Since she's a baby and I have a pretty good idea of an estimated growth pattern for her (based on my other kids) I've gone ahead and bought for her. I'm having more trouble right now figuring out what sizes to buy the boys. I can't even figure out what size to get them for fall! LOL! They are both getting very tall but are skinny and need slim pants. Very frustrating. Like someone else mentioned, I found that as my kids got older they stayed in one size for basically a whole year so we had a whole year's worth of 3T, 4T, etc. Good luck! If you can resist the new clothing that comes out next summer you'll be able to save a bundle buying this year's stuff on sale right now!

votre_ami03
07-07-2003, 03:30 PM
Denise,

Speaking of Land's End @ Sears. I was there this w/e & they had summer stuff on clearance, 60-85% off reg prices, plus an extra 50% off. I bought short-alls & a romper for $3 a piece! Both by Land's End.

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan

Jodi
07-14-2003, 03:59 PM
I do buy ahead--but only because I live in Florida where the weather is relatively constant year round. I did, however, buy a lot of clothing for my daughter before she was born and if I lived somewhere where the weather varies greatly, I'd be in big trouble since my 9 month old is *still* in 3-6 month clothing--she's a relatively long, super skinny kid! I luck out though since she gets a lot of use out of her clothing and I can stock up on all of the summer clearance clothing for her to wear year round (plus think how much I save not having to buy her socks!) ;)

peanut4us
07-14-2003, 05:19 PM
What a fabulous idea, Lori. I'm definately going to do that. She's in the age that everyone gave her for my shower and I am itching to do some major shopping! But I can't justify buying anything more in her size. But I was too scared to buy bigger sizes!

Will try your method! My mom is coming to town on Thurs, so maybe we'll drive to the outlets on Friday. Shhh. don't tell DH