PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What do you wash the baby's clothes in?

Vajrastorm
07-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Having read BB, I realize it is not against the law to use a dtergent other than Dreft. :P

I was wondering what detergent people posting here use? Do you use Dreft anyways? Normal detergent? Hypoallergenic detergent?

I'm curious because on a pregnancy board I visit it seems like *everyone* is using (or planning on using) Dreft.

momtoemma
07-08-2003, 12:28 PM
I just use Tide, the same detergent I use for all my laundry. If the clothes have any stains, I throw in a scoop of oxyclean with it. I think you just have to be on the lookout for any sensitivities your child might have to any detergent.

Stephanie

schums
07-08-2003, 12:29 PM
We use Wisk Free and Clear (or whatever their new unscented version is called) on all our clothes, including DS from birth. A friend suggested washing about 1 weeks worth of clothes in our regular detergent (Wisk) and waiting to see if DS had any problems with them before buying Dreft or Baby All. We never had any problems, and it means that I can wash his clothes with mine if there isn't enough to make a full load.

Sarah

sarasprings
07-08-2003, 12:52 PM
We use Arm and Hammer now, but we did buy one big bottle of Dreft from BJs to use when ds was younger. I have allergies and so we wanted something gentle. Also, we were finishing a big box of powdered A & H at the time, so we were going to buy something separate that was a liquid anyway.

lisams
07-08-2003, 12:53 PM
We have used All Free and Clear since day 1 with DD. We also don't use softener. Have had no problems, and DD has very sensitive skin.

I have heard several moms say Dreft actually irritated their babies skin because of the fragrance added.

Lisa

colleenfs
07-08-2003, 12:54 PM
I still wash Julia's clothes in Dreft. I love the smell so much, I sometimes wash my own clothes in it too! And I use it for all the sheets and towels as well.

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

MommytoDylan
07-08-2003, 01:13 PM
I washed everything before DS was born in Purex (the kind in the white bottle with no fragarence). After he was born, I tried washing a few things in the regular Purex and saw no reaction so I continued. The "Queen of Clean" recommends Purex because it works well and is cheap and I'm always pleased with the results.

Momof3Labs
07-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Cheer Free, the same stuff we use on our clothes. I felt that Dreft was MORE likely to cause problems because of all of the fragrance in there. We skipped the fabric softener for the first month or so, but have been using it since then.

August Mom
07-08-2003, 01:46 PM
We use Dreft for DS's clothes and no fabric softener. I was just about to switch to All Free and Clear when he had a reaction to food (at about 9 months). I was out of Dreft but didn't want to introduce something new while he already had a rash. So, we're still using Dreft. DS has very sensitive skin but has never had a problem with Dreft.

flagger
07-08-2003, 01:49 PM
We use A&H Heavy Duty ourselves. Never had a problem. It sure is nice not having to do a separate load just for her clothes.

Of course some think we are horrible parents since we have put new clothes on her a few times before washing them.

Andrea S
07-08-2003, 02:01 PM
We use dreft. Andrew has very sensitive skin and dreft does not bother him so we keep using it. I like washing his stuff separate so using a different detergent is not any trouble.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Andrea S
07-08-2003, 02:02 PM
My friend and I were talking about dreft the other day and she said she washes her clothes with it sometime too :)

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

egoldber
07-08-2003, 02:15 PM
I use (and always have) whatever I am using for the rest of my laundry. Right now that's Tide. I use fabric softener sheets too.

KMommie
07-08-2003, 02:47 PM
I was planning on using whatever I had for the rest of the laundry (DH likes to buy Tide on sale during Dollar Days at Target---then he buys in bulk), but then my mom decided that we needed to use Dreft, so she went out and bought us a bunch. Now, I love the smell so much! Everything else we use for DD is unscented, so the smell of Dreft is the only "baby smell" in the house.

nohomama
07-08-2003, 03:28 PM
>Of course some think we are horrible parents since we have
>put new clothes on her a few times before washing them.

Who??? I prewashed all the baby clothes I received before Lola was born, but after she was here, NEVER again. I think most of us here realize that there are too few minutes in the day of a parent to worry about such small things. So go right ahead and put that new outfit on your girl. You won't hear a peep from me.

nohomama
07-08-2003, 03:32 PM
I'm the same as Beth. I use the same detergent to launder everything. I do make a point of using "free" detergents just because I find the frangrance in scented soaps and detergents, Dreft included, so overpowering. Also like Beth, I use fabric softeners sheets (again the unscented variety) in the dryer.

Marisa6826
07-08-2003, 03:33 PM
We use All Baby Care and Bounce dryer sheets.

Granted we could probably just use the Tide with Bleach we use on our stuff, but I really like the smell.

It's also easier just to do Sophie's clothes on their own. I still do them on gentle, so it's not a big deal to do a "Sophie wash". Besides, I still get a perverse kick out of folding all her little clothes! :) Ask me about it in another few years though!!! :)

-m

egoldber
07-08-2003, 03:45 PM
I often use "free" detergents, but the last time I needed to purchase both detergent and softener, Target was out of the "free" varieties. I bought Tide "deep clean" (whatever that means, like the other ones don't clean deep?) and Bounce "Fresh". Both seem pretty unscented to me. I think as long you avoid the "Mountain Spring" or "powder fresh" varieties, you're pretty safe in the scent area. :)

nohomama
07-08-2003, 04:48 PM
I pretty much hold my breath and make a mad dash down the laundry aisle when I have to by detergent. I call it the stinky aisle. The "mountain spring" and "powder fresh" scents are the worst offenders but all of it gives me some degree of a headache. If they could bottle the scent of clothes dried outside on the line, what they ACTUALLY smell like, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Until then, I'm sticking to the scent free stuff.

houseof3boys
07-08-2003, 04:59 PM
We use Gain and I stopped using softener sheets since we were "warned" against that but after reading so many of you use them without problems I will throw one in the next load! I have been watching to see if he has a reaction and then I would try Tide Free or something like that. It seems like a production to me to do separate laundry for Ryan and then our laundry.

I will have to smell Dreft though since I didn't realize it was so yummy...

stillplayswithbarbies
07-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Me too! You are not alone in enjoying washing all those itty bitty clothes. In fact, my husband does laundry usually but I have claimed baby laundry as my own.

We started out using Dreft and then All has a special one for babies. But after one bottle of each, I just use whatever we have for our clothes. I like the "free and clear" fabric softener for our clothes so I use that for hers too.

I do a separate load for burp cloths and bibs and towels without fabric softener because I want them to be more absorbant. I learned that from the CDing mommies. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

heidi_timms
07-09-2003, 07:12 AM
We use alergy free/scent free laundry soap (all, cheer, whatever) and also use allergy/scent free downy softener.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

cinrein
07-09-2003, 07:39 AM
Count me in as someone who loves to wash and fold the itty-bitty clothes. I thought I was the only "freak"! I really hate my stain treating chores though.

I wash Anna's clothes in whatever fragrance free detergent we have on hand (READ: whatever was on sale, usually Tide-free). I also use the fragrance free Bounce dryer sheets with her clothes. My skin is really sensitive to soaps and DH's sometimes is. Lately, all the big clothes and baby clothes are washed and dried in fragrance-free.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

C99
07-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Nate does not like the perfumes in Dreft, but I do use the Target brand of baby laundry detergent for his stuff. I like it b/c it's gentler than the Tide I use on adult clothes and linens, but doesn't have that heavy perfume that Dreft does. I also do not use dryer sheets on his clothing (I thought this was because of absorbancy?) and wash all of his stuff separately (mostly because my mom told me to), though I do add some nursing bras and t-shirts of mine into his loads from time to time.

FWIW, I've never bought Dreft but my MIL has and washed some blankets in it before she gave them to us. Nate started screaming whenever we used them -- and since the smell made me wheeze and the Target brand was cheaper anyway, it was an easy decision not to buy it. :)

kathsmom
07-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Hi, Andrie!

We use All Free and Clear with Downy Free fabric softener.

A saleslady at BRU and I were discussing my DS's eczema-type patch on his neck and she told me her nephew had something similar. She said not to use the fabric softener sheets, because the fibers from the sheets could get on DS's clothes in the dryer and the fibers could make him scratch more. I have no idea if what she says is based on any facts or just theory.

I only use fragrance free stuff, because I get headaches from Dreft or All Baby detergent.

HTH!

MinnieMouse
07-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Dd has had excema since she was a few months old. We passed on the Dreft from the beginning and used whatever "free" detergent was on sale along w/ Bounce dryer sheets.

After the excema surfaced her ped office told us that the "free" detergents were fine but to not use ANYTHING else...no dryer sheets or fabric softeners...even if they were "free." We've stuck with that and dd is now going to be 2yo and we haven't had any problems w/ it.

Originally I opted to not use Dreft because it is SOOOO darn $$$$. It rarely goes on sale or has coupons available either. I can get Tide, Wisk, Cheer in the "free" versions so much cheaper and consistently so.

Oh...and after dd was a few months old...I rarely washed her new clothes before wearing them!

HTH

Christine

mam615
07-09-2003, 03:41 PM
We mostly use Ecos ("earth-friendly") detergent for everyone, but I'm not above using the heavy duty stuff when stains won't budge: Tide w/ bleach alternative, Clorox, Clorox 2, Spray N Wash, Shout Oxygen Stain remover. So far, none of this has bothered Dorothy.

Magda
07-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Same detergent we use for our (adult) clothes. I've used it since day one and never had a problem.

Magda
07-10-2003, 10:13 PM
I frequently don't wash new cloths either. Oh well, i guess i'm a bad parent too.

mama2be
07-11-2003, 10:22 PM
I have not read everyones responses....but we use TIDE and lately a huge SAMS brand that protects color...I use 1/2 the amount of detergent needed because my machine does a great job cleaning.

I noticed Target has a generic Dreft brand (if not mentioned)...

We have had NO problems...I use no softener...I was his clothes on cold and do his by themself for some reason...diapers on hot...

MelissaTC
07-12-2003, 09:54 AM
I started off using Dreft. Then we moved on to All Baby Care. Now he is on his way to using Wisk or Tide, Purex or whatever else I use for Patrick and I. I still wash his clothes separately on the gentle cycle in either cold or warm water and hang dry most items. I have found that they keep better and I have had minimal shrinkage. I use Snuggle Pure and Gentle fabric softener.

Jenmv
07-12-2003, 09:55 AM
I have a front loading washer and use the Sears house brand high efficency detergent. I don't remember the exact name but they only carry that one brand. I love this detergent because I can usually find big buckets of it on sale for ~15.99 and it will last us for 4-5 months. The only thing different I do with my daughters clothes is that I don't use fabric softener and I run an extra rinse cycle, although I don't know if I still need to be doing that.

liya
07-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Any regular detergent that protects from fading...Seriously i started using all free and clear and arm and hammer free but its just tooo expensive to buy 2 brands so i started using regular "tide" or sams club det and presto...

toniteach
07-21-2003, 10:15 AM
>We use All Baby Care and Bounce dryer sheets.
>

Ditto...I buy it just because it's less expensive than Dreft, and washes dd's clothes so well...with a nice scent.

Happy washing and folding!
Toni
dd Kelly 12.4.02

jbrandy
07-21-2003, 11:53 AM
We have used ERA from day 1. That is what we always used before our DS was born. My husband has ultra sensitive skin and has reacions to many detergents so I didn't want to switch and our son seems fine with this detergent so we stuck with it. I tried Deft for our son's clothes after I got them at my shower and HATED it!! First of all I hated the smell and the clothes were so soft that they still felt damp (even after being in the dryer for over 45 minutes).

Beth B
Mom to Evan 4-4-03

Melaniee
07-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Definitely NOT Dreft..the scent is too strong for new noses, IMO. All Free & Clear with unscented Downey for a long time and now SportWash/Sensi Clean b/c then I don't need a fabric softner or Trader Joe's enviro-friendly.

kapow
07-26-2003, 07:44 AM
We've been using All Free & Clear on Ian's stuff, same as ours, but I wash all his stuff on 'hot' regardless of what it is.

We use dryer sheets (Bounce) and we got this tip from a friend: save the used dryer sheets from the big people's laundry and reuse one in the baby's laundry. There's always a little bit of softener left over but not enough to overwhelm the baby's things.

At three weeks I don't see any reaction to this yet, but I suppose I have to give it time :)

sntm
07-28-2003, 11:04 AM
We started off using All free and Clear but now use Woolite and gentle cycle to include my nursing bras, other delicate items. we have enough easily for 2 loads a week of just delicates.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03