PDA

View Full Version : Is a sleeper as a day outfit a fashion faux pas (for older babies)?

LucyG
07-09-2003, 02:53 PM
We received a TON of sleepers in sizes 3-6 mo. and 6-9 mo. DD will never be able to wear them all as pajamas. Is a 6-12 month old baby too old to wear a sleeper as an outfit during the day? They are really cute, footed things, and I hate for her not to use them. She has overalls and other "big girl" kinds of clothes, also, but what do you think about sleepers during the day sometimes?

Edited to say: Just realized I spelled "fashion" incorrectly in the subject of this post. Speaking of a faux pas . . .

Momof3Labs
07-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Colin outgrew his 6-9 month sleepers by about 5-6 months, but while he fit in them, we often used them as "daywear". It was nice not having to worry about different pieces, especially socks (I hate baby socks!).

By the time your baby is 6-12 months, her mobility may be the biggest problem. Sleepers probably aren't too conducive to crawling and definitely not to walking (too slippery). I prefer cute onesies during the day, starting around the time Colin was contemplating crawling (about 5.5 months).

The other thing I've noticed about this age is that we only go through one, maybe two, outfits a day, unless I feed Colin something really messy. In his younger days, he would go through 3-4 or more easily (and sometimes that many in an hour!) between diaper blowouts and spit-up.

If you got a LOT of something, I would recommend returning as much as possible now, and use the credit now or later for things that you did not receive.

mam615
07-09-2003, 03:55 PM
It's probably perfectly fine, but since you brought it up, I feel the urge to share. One cold morning last spring I left Dorothy in her sleeper and put her snowsuit on over it so I could quickly get out for a walk. At the end of my walk it had warmed up quite a bit and I stopped in at a local coffee shop for bottle of water. Turns out there was a pretty large gathering of a new-mothers group at the coffee shop. Since I was pretty new in town and didn't know many people, I really wanted to stay and meet some people. Dorothy was hot and I had to take the snowsuit off, but I have to say I felt funny that Dorothy was still in her "PJs" while all the other kids were in "real" clothes. (Not to mention I was in sweats and all the other moms were in "real" clothes.) I don't think anyone cared but me, but I always dress her now when I go out.

Marisa6826
07-09-2003, 04:19 PM
I try to stay in the habit of changing Sophie into "real" outfits during the day and I definitely do it when we go out. Of course the other part of this is that I have found that I get into a real "funk" if I don't leave the house for days on end!

A lot of it has to do with the fact that I want to get some wear out of the outfits we have before she outgrows them.

I don't think it's a big deal. Especially if they're more dressy.

I do remember being really embarrassed by one particularly snotty mother in Nordstrom's changing room once. It was St. Patrick's day and I had Sophie in a green sleeper suit with little chicks on it. She said, "Oh. We have that one too, but we would NEVER leave the house in it!" Bitch. My response was that clearly she wasn't as Irish as we were since whatever is green works for us!

-m

SeekerMage
07-10-2003, 01:37 AM
I think it totally depends upon what kind of sleeper it is.
If its the terry cloth kind that looks like pjs then I would say no...but if it has lace on it, or smocking, and looks more like an outfit but with feet then I say go for it!
Another thing to try is putting her in it for nap time so her "outfit" will stay fresh then change her when she wakes up? I dunno...my mom always said she changed our clothes after nap time so we did get a lot of wear out of everything...lots of laundry too Im sure! But you are the parent too...if you want her in sleepers then go for it!

kristine_elen
07-15-2003, 02:55 PM
My son wore sleepers as clothes for the first several months of his life and I never felt funny about it. Some moms put on make up to go to the mall and have their kids dressed to the nines, and that's fine for them, but I'm not up for that. I'm lucky if the shirt I'm wearing only has ONE spit up stain on it.. Kids are cute enough naturally, they don't need fancy clothes to be adorable -- or adored.