PDA

View Full Version : Onesies - OK to wear alone in public?

deborah_r
07-15-2003, 02:26 PM
I was reading a post about whether it is considered in good taste to wear sleepers out in public during the day...it was very interesting, as I had been wonderng about that too. Not much of an issue for me now since it has gotten so hot here in Southern Cal. and will probably stay that way through September.

I'm kind of new to the whole world of babies, guess I don't pay much attention to what other people dress their babies in - is it OK for babies to wear just a onesie? Not the white T-shirt kind, but you know the nice ones with the prints and designs on them? Or should I be putting shorts or overalls over the onesie?

I have a hard enough time dressing myself, and now I;m responsible for dressing another human being - it's scary!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-15-2003, 02:40 PM
It's really just personal preference. The way I decide is if the onesie has finished seams around the arms, then it is not underwear and can be worn alone.

I like the look of having pants or shorts or a skirt over it, for a girl, but for a boy the onesie alone is fine for me.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

kristine_elen
07-15-2003, 02:48 PM
They're just little babies; I think it's totally fine that they just be in a onsie, even if it's a plain white one. Sometimes it's fun to dress them in something fancier, but sometimes simple is better.

egoldber
07-15-2003, 02:54 PM
When it was hot, I would take DD out in just a onesie all the time. Now that she is "older" I do always make sure she has pant or shorts or something too, to make it an "outfit". But if we are just running around the house or just outside coloring on the driveway or something, then I think just a onesie or a T-shirt and onesie is fine.

HTH,

mamahill
07-15-2003, 04:17 PM
With your little one so young, a onesie is absolutely fine! I love having Ainsleigh in a onesie - even if it is a white underwear one - around the house. For some reason it just makes me giggle. If we go out, I throw pants or a skirt on her, mostly so people know she's a girl. I figure when it's hot, I'd like to have a onesie of my own to walk around in, but I don't think the general public would enjoy that display!;)

jojo2324
07-15-2003, 04:19 PM
I bring Gannon out in onesies all the time, especially when it's hot. I've never thought to throw on some pants or shorts. And I'm usually jealous that he's so unclothed and cool(er) than I am! :)

deborah_r
07-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I never really thought about it before either, guess I just got paranoid. Sometimes I feel like I haven't bought enough clothes for him (usually when I see some really cute outfit) but I don't want to throw money away on clothes he only wears for a couple of months. I mean, he does have SOME nice outfits, I just worry that he doesn't look like a Gap baby every day!

I guess I'm paranoid like that. Like with the Pack n Play, I haven't had a need for sheets (I just lay him on a receiving blanket, and I check on him all the time - he won't sleep in there for long stretches) - but when I saw Pack n Play sheets in the store, I thought "Oh, I'm supposed to have those" even though I don't really see a need for them.

I guess it's just a part of trying to do everything right, and not feeling like I'm doing ANYTHING right!

mamahill
07-15-2003, 05:28 PM
>
>I guess it's just a part of trying to do everything right,
>and not feeling like I'm doing ANYTHING right!

LOL - welcome to motherhood! I think that's a feeling we are going to have to get used to:).

vluckey
07-15-2003, 11:30 PM
I agree that wearing the nice onesies with the clean edges are just fine. I got really nice ones at Walmart that are just as cheap as the traditional Onesies.

millerpjm
07-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Another option (not that you need one:) ) is what I call "creepers" - help me out if you know what they're really called. Instead of going over the head like an undershirt they snap up the front. I have some really cute ones from Carter's and Target. DS has been wearing these for several weeks:) They are just a little thicker than a onesie, so they look more like "real" clothes, but they are just as cool for baby.

Hope this helps... I know I'm still learning this whole "dressing baby" thing too.

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

deborah_r
07-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Yes, before DS was born I bought 2 outfits at Costco that said they were Creepers (Carter's) and I didn't know why it was called a creeper. I just looked at them and one has buttons down the front and the other doesn't? Anywaym they both look perfectly nice to wear in public. He hasn't grown into them yet.

I think I bought one of every style of baby outfit at Costco after I found out I was pregnant! Couldn't go in there without walking out with a baby outfit or two. At $5-6 a piece, it was a pretty harmless addiction!:)

caroliner
07-25-2003, 03:24 PM
I don't know why it would not be? I think comfort is the most important thing, and if it's hot and a plain onesie (yes, even a plain white Gerber's one with unfinished seams) is the most comfortable thing to wear, I say let the baby wear it!