PDA

View Full Version : Am I a redneck mama?

phirey
07-15-2003, 10:17 PM
On the subject of fashion...

When DD was born, if her outfits didn't have feet, I always had socks, but no shoes on her. Now that it's so hot here in Georgia, I take her out all the time barefooted. In fact, she only has one pair of shoes that fit, and she's only worn them once. Do I need to have her in shoes these days, or can I leave her footloose for a while longer before she starts walking?

I do put socks on her for church and weddings!

new_mommy25
07-15-2003, 10:40 PM
I don't see why shoes are necassary, it's not like she's walking around getting the bottoms of her feet dirty and then tracking it in the house. (Although it will happen in a few years..lol). Anyway, I'm from Hawaii where it is sooo hot and none of the babies I know ever wear shoes that I can recall.

kathsmom
07-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Peggy,

I live in Georgia too and I have not put shoes or socks on Andrew at all - even for church! I have seen other babies in the church nursery with no socks on. I did put his cute Baby Shoos on one day (the navy giraffe ones)with socks and his feet were soaked! So no shoes or socks on my little man until it gets cooler!LOL!

HTH!

AngelaS
07-16-2003, 06:44 AM
My dd has a great shoe wardrobe, but itty bitty feet! So, she rarely wears shoes. And last Sunday, she wore a sweet linen dress to church and NO shoes... I love bare baby toes!

lukkykatt
07-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Well, I'm up "north" in MD, and do not put DS in socks either. IMHO, it's just too hot. I know I'm not wearing socks now, so I figure DS shouldn't have to either!

Marisa6826
07-16-2003, 07:50 AM
Sophie's a month younger than your DD. She's never had shoes on. I only had socks on her when it was cold out (I'm in NJ).

Her little Flintstone feet are one of my favourite parts of her!

I kiss and squeeze them all day long :)

-m

stillplayswithbarbies
07-16-2003, 09:09 AM
I don't put socks on her since summer arrived. Last weekend we were visiting people who keep their house really cool, and it was a cool evening outside, so I did put socks on her then. She has only recently discovered her toes, and she was very confused by the socks. You could just see her thinking "hey, I had toes a minute ago, where did they go?"

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jojo2324
07-16-2003, 09:23 AM
Footloose and fancy free!! She's fine...On really hot days DS doesn't wear any socks, and we're in NY. And he's a year-old! :D

C99
07-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Nate hasn't worn socks since about mid-June. He's only 6 months and thus doesn't own any shoes. Plus, he can't play with his feet as well in the car with his feet covered.

Melaniee
07-18-2003, 02:58 AM
Barefeet are best for learning to walk, anyhow. =)

Momof3Labs
07-18-2003, 07:01 AM
I rarely put socks or shoes on Colin, too. I did during the winter, and will once he is walking when we go out, but otherwise I think that barefoot is cooler and more comfortable for him!

millerpjm
07-18-2003, 10:26 AM
You are not a redneck mama... you are a practical one! I don't think socks/shoes in the summer are necessary at all. And I second the post about cute bare baby feet! I love those tiny toes!!! :)

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

heidi_timms
07-18-2003, 02:33 PM
We are in hot California and DD hasn't worn socks in a month or so! She goes barefoot everywhere! We even took pictures with no shoes!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

mama2be
07-19-2003, 12:35 PM
I recently read in a book that babies need their feet, toes to grasp to learn to walk...we now put Tristan in shoes minimally...for special outings etc...but for the most part we are foot loose and fancy free too...since I read that..

barbarhow
07-20-2003, 08:50 AM
We live in Maine-I wouldn't dream of covering up Jack's toes. How can I kiss them if they have socks on them? Keep him the babe barefoot! At least we can all be "rednecks" together....
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

lizajane
07-20-2003, 11:10 AM
i have read that you should NOT put shoes on babies (with any regularity) until they start to walk. it affects their growth, etc.

Denyse
07-20-2003, 11:31 AM
Brett is almost always sockless. Babies don't really *need* shoes until they are walking pretty well. Until then, they are pretty much an accessory. Brett has three pairs of soft soled shoes that he wears only occasionally. The rest of the time he goes bare foot and loves it. :) There's nothing cuter than chubby little baby feet and toes.

parkersmama
07-24-2003, 10:50 PM
I'm also in Georgia! Too darn hot here for anything but bare feet! Even in winter I only use socks on babies until they begin walking. Redneck or not, I'm for comfort and practicality!

ecarley
07-25-2003, 04:01 PM
My daughter never wore shoes until she started walking, and if it was warm she went barefoot. She had a collection of very cute socks!