PDA

View Full Version : How many blankets to buy? (not for crib, I know)

kels228
07-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Hi Moms,
How many blankets would be ideal to end up with?
I like 3 different kinds:
1. Waffle Weave
2. Microfiber Fleece
3. Soft Flannel 4-packs receiving blankets

If I wanted to get a good mix of these three types of blankets, how many would you recommend getting? The first 2 types are sold singly, and the last type comes in packs of 4.
Thanks!

Kathleen
Due 11/9/03

Rachels
07-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Millions. I use millions of receiving blankets. One thing I found is that the flannel kind that comes in 4-packs aren't actually all that soft. They tend to be stiff and thin, and they're not so terrific. My mom made Abigail some simple flannel blankets, and those are infinitely nicer. If you have a fabric store near you, you might go that route. It's pretty easy, and they really are considerably better. I also do have some of the fleece and cotton ones. When Abigail was a newborn, we'd use them for swaddling, burping, snuggling, propping her up while nursing, lining her stroller, holding up her head in the carseat...everything! Now she uses them mostly for comfort, and we've still got five or six routinely scattered around the house. I never travel with less than three. I would say we EASILY needed six or eight when she was first born. You can't really have too many. You'll get a bunch as gifts, though. People send them along with matching outfits more often than you would think is possible. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

peanut4us
07-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Based on when your baby is due, I would make sure to have more fleece and flannel blankets than the waffle weave. I love the waffle weaves, but DD was born end of March in Texas. They are good for "lightweight" stuff. And I agree about the 4 pack flannels, they aren't terribly soft.

You might want to consider buying some really soft flannel from a fabric store and zigzagging or serging the edges to make your own. It will end up costing you lots less, and then you can get really soft stuff.

kaitlinsmommy
07-16-2003, 05:13 PM
My sister told me I would need a lot of receiving blankets and it turned out I could have gotten by with half. If your baby spits up, you may go through a lot more. I think you would be fine to start with one 4-pk. of flannel receiving blankets, 1 fleece and 1-2 waffle weave. As mentioned in the previous post, you will probably receive some as gifts. You may not know what your preference is until you have baby and see what kind of blanket you want to swaddle with and what you want to put in the car seat for outings.

fyi - I preferred the square receiving blankets for swaddling but a lot of them are rectangular. Every mom is different. I just didn't find so many blankets necessary.

heidi_timms
07-16-2003, 06:12 PM
We use a ton as well. Now that DD is almost 3 months, I wish that I had bigger blankets. I am going to make some here pretty soon because I can't find anything big enough. Make sure you snag some from the hospital. Everything in your room and what you use goes on your insurance bill anyways:) Those have been some of our favorites for swaddling as well.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Jodi
07-18-2003, 08:21 PM
I love blankets--and we live in Florida! I have at least 10--but I'm also crazy enough to match her blankets to her outfits, it's truly a sickness.

I still use them and my DD is 9 months--I don't use them for swaddling anymore, but as a coverup when I'm nursing in public (I just throw the blanket over my shoulder and slide her head under) and to give her a clean place to sit down when we're at Mommy & Me classes. I'm a big fan of Gap cotton blankets, they're just light enough so Ella doesn't sweat to death while nursing, big enough--but not too big, and they wash really well. I've had no problem finding them on sale for as low as 6.99.

HTH,
Jodi

justlearning
07-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Of the types you listed, I have one waffle weave and one microfiber fleece and 4 flannel receiving blankets (equivalent to one pack). Like you've already heard, I'd also say that you are sure to get many blankets as gifts so you may want to hold off on buying any. The most common gift I received by far was a baby blanket! One type that you didn't mention that I received as a gift that I've used the most is a semi-fancy receiving blanket. (It's a cream-colored Classic Pooh brand that sells for around $20 with a satin band around the edges). It's been light enough weight that it works great during the summer now when I take him indoors and the A/C's down low but it's a little heavier than the waffle weave. I like how it's a little dressier so it looks great for church, and it's also softer to the skin than the waffle weave one. It's the blanket that I also stuff into the diaper backpack to cover up when breastfeeding. BTW, I don't know if your hospital will do this too, but I received flannel receiving blankets from the hospital auxillary when our baby was born.