PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/Landsend Polartec Bunting & Jacket!

JustMare
07-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Today I had a doctor visit and during my 17 block walk, I realized I'm going to need a back up plan come winter. I can't possibly walk 17 blocks in March if it's snowing! The walk only takes about 20-25 mins. (My OB/GYN, General DR and Ped are all in one practice - one stop shopping!)

My original plan was to purchase the Bundle Me for winter warmth. But I can't see myself shleping into a taxi (alone) a month after giving birth and trying to attach a carseat then dump the stroller frame into the trunk, etc... Too much to handle in the first month of motherhood in bad weather no less!

So, my back up plan is to use the Baby Bjorn on the bus. I *think* I can handle that. But, if it's the dead of winter the baby will need some type of snowsuit. I'm not talking ski suit, but something warm since his/her legs will be exposed.

My questions:

Would you recommend the Landsend Polartec Bunting? What size? Should I go with 0-3 or 3-6? It's about $35 so I'd prefer 3-6 hoping to get more use out of it.

Okay, for times when I do use the Bundle Me, would I still need a jacket? What about the Landsend Polartec Jacket? Again, what size? 3-6?

Does anyone know just how long Landsend will honor a return? Perhaps we have a mild winter and I never use the bunting, can I return it months later??

Also, if anyone has any advise or suggestions in making my 17 block DR visits any easier in the winter, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

sbaker
07-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Landsend will accept returns forever. I have been known to forget to return something only to send it back a year later. Landsend has always been great.

DS was born in February, so I remember what it was like wearing him in the Baby Bjorn. What I did was dress DS in warm clothes and a hat, put him on, and then put my oversized Landsend parka on over both of us. I only zipped it up to his neck. If you dress him too warmly and then put a coat on yourself while wearing the BB you will be really HOT. Wearing a baby creates a lot of warmth.
DH wore DS like this too. Basicly you have two heads sticking out of one coat. People were always suprised when they noticed that DH had a baby on under his coat. We got quite a few laughs out it.

Hope this helps..

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

JustMare
07-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Thanks Sara for your suggestion.

I never would have thought to put my coat over the Baby Bjorn.

I think that would be useful if I were going locally, but waiting for a bus, then while on the bus, in bad weather etc... I don't know, we both might be uncomfortable with all the bulk.

I have noticed that people put blankets over the baby's head, but that doesn't cover the baby's legs.

That's wonderful to know that Landsend has a good return policy. I'm glad to hear that.

pritchettzoo
07-16-2003, 05:02 PM
Luckily I don't have to worry about any of the snow or taxi stuff here in GA, but as far as the Baby Bjorn goes, have you checked out the forum on slings, etc. on this board? I was planning on getting a Baby Bjorn but have changed my mind after reading their reviews (and also input from friends with babies). One I was looking at was the Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch (KK fleece pouch if you're cool, which I am not!). It is $50 (cheaper than the Bjorn) and lasts up to 40+ lbs: http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_shop_pouches_custom.shtml

I figured that with the difference, I could get a cotton sling or spend a little (or a lot) more and get something that would last for a larger age/weight range than the Bjorn.

Check out the Places To Go forum. I did a search on slings and my mind has been swimming ever since...

HTH

Anna
#1 EDD 9/10/03

kaitlinsmommy
07-16-2003, 05:07 PM
I did the same thing. In winter, I used my husband's parka-type coat, put dd in BB and put the coat over both of us.

I ordered a 0-3 bunting from Land's End and ended up returning it in the spring. At 3 months of age, it was still too big on her so we never used it. If you are due in Feb. I would order the 0-3 month bunting.

Marisa6826
07-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Mare-

During the winter (Sophie was born 12/10) I put her in the Bjorn then put my Campmor 1/2 zip fleece on OVER her so her head stuck out of the zipper. I had her wear a little sherpa hat. If it was really cold, then I put my Helly Hanson parka on over that.

We were PLENTY warm - if not a little too toasty!

Also- You can put the Bundle Me over the Bjorn!

Good luck

-m

JustMare
07-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Now that's an idea Marisa!!

How do you attach the Bundle Me to stay on over the Bjorn?

I might be nuts to think this, but I was planning on getting the XL Bjorn to wear over my coat. I guess I'm thinking worse weather possible. Me with hat, gloves, scarf, etc... Baby just dangling in the bunting. But if I can avoid an extra $35, I'd be happy to!

Do you use a jacket (for baby) with the Bundle Me?

JustMare
07-16-2003, 08:39 PM
Okay, I just discussed this with DH and he said I was insane to think that he wouldn't drive me to the DR's office, pay the $20 for the parking garage and come with me in the dead of winter.

Hey, I was trying to do it myself so DH didn't have to get out of work. :)

So I'm thinking I might not need the Bunting, just the Jacket.

Or do I?

Do you use a Jacket with the Bundle Me?

Do you recommend any other jackets besides Landsend?

Is Fleece the best way to go??

Thanks so much for dealing with me!!! DH couldn't!! He had to step out and smoke a cigar with his friends - I was stressing HIM out. What nerve! :)

Marisa6826
07-16-2003, 10:10 PM
No jacket under the Bundle Me. It's fleece and polartec in one and VERY warm. In fact, Sophie would cry if I forgot to unzip it in the car because she got so overheated in it.

The Bundle Me is narrow enough that it would probably just stay on over the Bjorn.

The Bjorn itself is pretty thick and covers most of the baby anyway. You only have little legs and arms sticking out! :)

Would you not have the baby in a carseat to go to the doctor? We got a bunting for Sophie and used it EXACTLY TWICE. A true waste of money!

Especially if you are going to have a boot for the stroller!

-m

JustMare
07-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Marisa,

I didn't realize that you can zip up the Bundle Me completely. That helps a lot for the Jacket question.

Yes, if DH plans to drive us to the DR in the dead of winter, then I don't need anything but the Bundle Me for the car.

I was just looking for a back up plan. But considering, it's not really the whole winter I'd need the bunting, I'm really thinking I won't need it. If the baby's first visit to the DR is in March, before you know it Spring will be here.

I won't have a boot with my stroller, the Bundle Me will be my "boot". But if the weathers any worse and a Bundle Me can't handle it, then I'm staying home! :)

Thanks for all your "hands on" advise!!!

ginamlee
07-16-2003, 10:56 PM
I just ran across this: http://store.babycenter.com/product/gear/carriers_and_backpacks/4429

High ratings and great price - specifically designed to use with a Bjorn or other front carrier!

toomanystrollers
07-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Hi Mare,
I have to agree with "Pritchettzoo"'s opinion. I would skip the bjorn and go with the kangaroo korner adjustable fleece pouch. Kangarookorner.com is full of carrier information. I have a bjorn and honestly it hurts my back alot! after 10 mins. Finally with baby #3 (just 2 1/2 weeks old now!), I have the fleece pouch and its absolutely wonderful. Granted it's too hot for summer weather (I have a cotton sling coming from zolowear.com), but for the winter it would be perfect because it covers baby completely from the neck down and it's made from Malden Mills polartec fleece. Check out all the sling/pouch advice on the "places to go" board and all the complaints about baby bjorns. Lots of people feel the bjorns aren't the best position for newborns - too upright and too much pressure on the spine. The little ones like to keep their froggy position.

Good luck,
Pam