PDA

View Full Version : Going-home outfits?

kels228
07-20-2003, 07:43 PM
I'd like to get something special to bring the baby home from the hospital in, but I don't have much money, so those fancy websites aren't going to work for me. Have any of you found outfits at the regular stores like BRU? What kinds of outfits have you used? I guess I don't have an idea of what type of outfit people usually use.....

We don't know the sex. It will be November. I saw a cute Classic Pooh outfit at BRU that also came w/ a matching blanket and cap - loved it, but it looked HUGE. So that's another question - what size did you buy, and did it fit, or was it too small? Too big?

Kathleen
Due 11/9/03

ScrapNancy
07-20-2003, 08:48 PM
I know we have all these visions of the perfect exit from the hospital (like our wedding days, too) but whatever you like is something special. It doesn't have to be snything fancy - try taking whatever your favorite outfit you have bought is. I took a Pooh top and pants that we bought at Target for less than $15! And maybe you could use in addition to an outfit since it will be November a handmade blanket, maybe an heirloom of yours from when you were a baby if you have one or a gift someone has made and given you.

All that said - I would go prepared for several sizes of clothing even if you think you know how big the baby is. Four days before my labor was induced I had a Level 2 ultrasound to check the size and health of the baby, since I was high-risk. I was told she was 7lb 9oz. I immediately began having palpitations that she would already have outgrown all her adorable newborn size clothes by the time she was 2 weeks old, if she fit in them at all! Well, surprise, surprise, four days later she came out at 5lb 15oz. They said her big head threw the ultrasound calculation off. (It also necessitated a vacuum delivery - ouch!) All of her newborn size clothes were huge on her, including the smallest of the outfits we brought to the hospital for her. We put her in one anyway so she'd have something to wear home. (Today, at 10 weeks old I discovered she'd finally outgrown it.) And as soon as we got home we made a trip to Wal-Mart to buy preemie sized sleepers which she wore for the first month of her life. (BTW, the WalMart Pooh preemie sleepers we bought washed and wore great and were really cheap)

I hope this helps - Just pick out something you like!

ScrapNancy, SAHM to Bridget Rose born 5-9-03

farsk
07-20-2003, 09:52 PM
Kathleen,

Have you tried children's consignment stores? Especially those that are in a "swank" neighborhood. Although I live in a university town, I have visited some consignment stores and have found absolutely adorable clothing in them. Some even had the tags still attached.

As for what size, I don't know. Ellen is due any day now, and we bought her a sweet little dress while vacationing in Scotland, so she's coming home in it even if it swallows her whole!

Good Luck!
-Shannon
Mom to Ellen (edd 7/28/2003)

August Mom
07-20-2003, 10:14 PM
We used a sleeper from a department store. It was a 0-3 months, but it was huge on my 7 lb. 6 oz. DS. I would recommend a preemie outfit for the hospital. But, if money is super tight, a 0-3 month should work, even for bigger babies.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-20-2003, 11:07 PM
You can sometimes find something really great on clearance at those "fancy" stores. Look in the back of the Gymboree store for their clearance rack and you can get something nice for the same price you would spend at WalMart.

For even better deals, get the really fancy things for pennies at www.kidsurplus.com

If you only want to buy one outfit, get a 0-3 month size. It might be big, but that is better than being too small. If you can, buy a preemie outfit, a newborn outfit, and a 0-3 and give hubby instructions on which one to wash and bring to the hospital after you see how big the baby is.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Melaniee
07-21-2003, 01:54 AM
We were rather unprepared for our hospital exit (planned birthing center same-day going home) so we had a little puppy sleeper that Ds came home in. It was newborn and HUGE. Next time I'll also bring a preemie outfit for going home.

It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just comfortable.

heidi_timms
07-21-2003, 03:01 AM
DD was 7lbs 2oz and Preemie fit for about 3-4 weeks. I would suggest Preemie. Ross, Marshall's and TJMaxx has great outfits for less. I got a cute Ralph Lauren/Polo nice sleeper there for $12.99. Also, I've recently seen lots of Gymboree outfits and Janie and Jack outfits at Ross Stores for $6-8!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

amp
07-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Kathleen,

I think a lot of people just get something they love at places like BRU, Target, Old Navy, Gap, etc. My son wore a onesie with a matching cap and socks for his hospital pictures and then wore home a sleeper. Both of these outfits were from the Carter's outlet store and cost me under $10 each. He was supposed to wear the same outfit for pics and then home, but he peed on the outfit right after the hospital pics were taken. Luckily, I had taken some other advice I read here to bring a 2nd outfit just in case! The Pooh outfit you found at BRU (or anything you like) would be just fine.

As far as size goes, I had read people's recommendations to have a preemie outfit, but I knew my baby (we didn't know the gender either) was big, so I only had 0-3 mth (newborn) outfits at the hospital. He was 10lbs 9oz, so the 0-3 outfits fit him perfectly. He only got to wear his newborn clothes for a little while. This totally depends on whether your baby is big or small, and unfortunately, you don't usually know how big the baby will be ahead of time.

Pick what YOU like and enjoy!

mamagoosie
07-21-2003, 10:22 AM
I have to second the preemie outfit idea - when things go on clearance at the fancy sites, the preemie outfits are usually what's left so they are super marked-down. Also, try ebay.

True, baby won't wear preemie for long, but she'll probably wear it a lot during the early days. We had 3-4 preemie outfits for dd and she lived in them for the first few weeks. Those outfits more wear than her 3-6mo clothes (worn longer, but she had more of them).

DD came home in a fleecy gymboree sleeper that I got on ebay for 10 dollars.

HTH

millerpjm
07-21-2003, 12:40 PM
I had a darling fleece overall set with a matching hat for DS to come home in (Feb. in Wisconsin) which was HUGE - I didn't even have to dress him in it to see he'd swim in it. It was a 0-3 month, but he was only 6 pounds 8 ounces. So, he came home in a blue print sleeper that I had gotten at a rummage sale, newborn size. Really, anything you pick will be wonderful.... it doesn't have to be expensive. I buy most of DS's clothes on sale everywhere (Target, JCPenney, Gymboree after it's been marked down about 5 times)or at rummage sales/consignment stores.

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03