PDA

View Full Version : What else do I need?!

nicknack
07-24-2003, 03:15 PM
Hi everyone,
I thought I would list what I have so far for clothes for the baby and see if you have any suggestions for what else I need for the beginning? I know once the baby comes we'll be able to get more gender-specific things, but I wondered what else I would need in that first month or so...more sleepers? onesies? I'm due in November and live in the Boston area (in case that matters). Thanks! I know I need socks and little things like that, but what else for bigger stuff?

0-3 STUFF:
2 3-packs of white ss onesies
3 sleepers
1 romper
2 pairs of pants
1 sweater

3-6 STUFF:
2 3-packs of white ss onesies
2 ls onesies
1 turtleneck
1 cardigan
1 ss onesie (pattern)
1 pair of pants
1 pair of overalls

MISC: 1 hat, 4 bibs
I also have some bigger stuff, but I'm mainly looking to see what other 0-6 month stuff I might need...Thanks again!
Nicole

peanut4us
07-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Hmmm. Pretty well prepared. I assume that the ss onesies are side snap? This is totally personal preference, but I we stopped using those as soon as we could... DD just didn't seem very comfy, so you might not want to wash the ones you have in the 3-6 month size.

The only thing you might want more of is sleepers. I found that 4 or 5 helped me make doing laundry a little further apart and DD lived in those practically for the first month. You might also want to get one sleeper in the 3-6 month size. It seemed like with DD one day she fit fine in her 0-3 month sleepers and the next size was ridiculously huge. Then the next day her cute feet and tushy were straining to get out of the smaller size! And we didn't have any larger on hand. I felt so bad the first time I put the larger size on her... because she looked so much more comfortable, and I just hadn't gotten around to getting her the larger size sooner.

nicknack
07-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Oops, sorry ss = short sleeved! I ordered a 5 pack of side snap tees but in 3-6 month by accident, so i think I'm returning those since onesies will be easier then, I think.

Thanks for the advice on the sleepers, I figured I would want a bunch more of those, and I think I actually saw some on sale at Baby Gap, so maybe I'll check that out.

peanut4us
07-24-2003, 05:25 PM
I was really surprised but I really loved the terry cloth fabric sleepers by carters. We got great deals on them at Costco.

kaitlinsmommy
07-24-2003, 10:21 PM
Ditto. I didn't want anything that wasn't all cotton but I got two terry Carter's sleepers as gifts and they were so cozy for winter. I ended up buying more.

kels228
07-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Hi Nicole!

I am in Massachusetts too, and also due in November.

Can I ask you a question? Is the hat you listed a winter hat? If so, where did you find it? I am in search of one, as well as a snowsuit/bunting for our cold winters.

Did you look into getting a snowsuit/bunting? I know they have those carseat cover-ups too, but I wanted to get a snowsuit/bunting as well - haven't seen any yet (or winter hats), but hopefully the stores will start putting them out as the fall gets closer.

Also, where did you find the sweater? I am also in search of a sweater!

As for your list, it looks pretty good to me -- I might get a few more sleepers though, depending on how often you tend to do laundry. But then again if you are having a shower, you'll probably get some as gifts, so you might be good with what you have now.

You mentioned socks too - I have heard that the BabyGap socks stay on pretty well. People say that it's impossible to keep socks on very little babies and that it's easier to use sleepers all the time, but I figure there will be some outfits we'll have that do require socks, so I got 6 pairs from BabyGap. Like I said, someone told me the BabyGap socks stay on pretty well compared to other brands. They look nice and warm too, for the winter!

Good luck/congratulations!

Kathleen
11/9/03

Kathleen
Due 11/9/03

August Mom
07-24-2003, 11:39 PM
I agree that you will want more sleepers. You may also want 1 or 2 sleep sacks. I love those. As far as the socks go, I tried a lot of them and I found the Gymboree cuffed socks to stay on the best. Also, if you do go with the BabyGap socks, make sure you get the ones that roll down. I got some of the newborn socks at BabyGap without the cuffs and they were terrible. They didn't stay on at all. Plus, they faded and pilled terribly. You also may want a hooded jacket. DS's head was so small that none of the hats we had fit. My SIL got us a hooded sweatshirt, which, at the time, I didn't think we'd use much. As it turned out we used it all the time. The hood was great! Plus, we used one of those NOJO carrier covers in the winter, so we didn't really need a heavy snow suit. The sweatshirt doubled as a winter coat under the carrier cover.

Raidra
07-25-2003, 08:23 AM
Hi there -

I'm in Massachusetts and due in October. We took a trip up to Kittery and found some great warmer stuff in the Osh Kosh and Carter's outlet. I didn't see many sweaters, but there were a few in the more expensive shops. Osh Kosh had some awesome long sleeve onesies that are very thick and warm looking. There's also a Childrens Place outlet up there, and I think we got a preemie sweater from there. You really have to look around, though, because most of their good deals are on summer stuff.

Of all the outlets, I think Childrens Place was the cheapest. I actually saw a sleeper in the Carters outlet for $6, and I had already bought it in our local BRU for $4. Ha!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-25-2003, 08:55 AM
Socks can also be used to keep the sleepers on when the legs are too long. Just put the socks on over the sleeper feet and it keeps the baby's legs from pulling up and both going into the same leg of the sleeper or getting all tangled up.

I like the socks from Gymboree too, they stay on well.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

pritchettzoo
07-25-2003, 09:57 AM
What a great tip! Now my preggo brain just needs to remember it...I think I'll write it on a notecard and stick it in the sock drawer...

Thanks!

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

alkagift
07-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Hey,
I second (third? fourth?) the need for more sleepers, and I would consider at least one more romper too...my DS is 2 months old and he's pretty good size, 13 pounds (born at 7lbs 3 oz, so he didn't start big), and he's just now fitting into the Carters Baby sleepers, although he grew out of the cheapie Circo stuff from Target a couple of weeks ago. The 0-3 onesies are pretty tight. My point being that your baby will likely get a fair amount of wear out of the 0-3 month size stuff that is more constructed like playwear, depending on the make. Also, while we were going through his growth spurts and trying out diapers (I could so rant about Huggies right now), Matt would wet his onesies or romper outfits pretty regularly, say two a day or so--you may want some backups or you'll be doing a small load of laundry every other day.

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

nicknack
07-28-2003, 08:07 AM
Thanks SO much for all of this helpful information, I'm definitely taking notes! I'm having a small shower in early Sept. with some friends, but not having the bigger family one until after the baby is born, so maybe I'll wait to see what I get then.

Kathleen--I haven't looked into buntings/snowsuits yet. I'm not quite sure if I'm even going to go for one since it seems like it might be a big pain to try to put the baby in and out of the carseat in it, you know? I think Lands End has some that people like. otherwise, I think I was just planning on getting one of those car seat covers...Oh, and I got the sweater at Marshalls, actually! Love that place...got it a few months ago, but I bet with fall approaching, they will have more!