PDA

View Full Version : when to start shoes and what kind?

cdlamis
08-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Ok, I know this has been discussed here but I feel so lost in this area. Please help!
DD is 14 months old and not walking on her own yet. She never wears shoes except at church or when she is "walking" outside.
I know you aren't supposed to put shoes on babies until they start walking but is it when they are good at walking or when they start to?
Also, what is the best type? Sturdy ones with hard soles or ones like Robeez?
TIA-
Daniella and Julia 6-13-02

stella
08-10-2003, 03:35 PM
I felt the same way you do - no shoes unless walking outside. We saw our pediatrician friend in the shoe store with her children while we were looking for ds's 1st shoes (at 14 months).

She recommended two pairs of tennis shoes: one for everyday (to get dirty), one for church and parties (to keep relatively clean). We went with white keds.

They don't need the sturdy soles. In fact, while they're learning, they need to use their toes to keep their balance and grip. So no shoes is better while they're learning. We only wore shoes to protect feet from the sticks, hot concrete, sharp things, etc.

I have seen all the Robeez and Bobux and they are precious - I would think that they would be good learning to walk shoes because they are soft-soled, but I don't know how sturdy they are outside - will they hold up or shred after walking on pavement? And also do they provide good protection from things like sticks or rocks?

My guess would be that they are great shoes for inside to keep feet clean and warm and that for outside, you'd want something with flexible, but sturdy soles.

Good Luck - you will probably get a lot of opinions - and this is just mine!!

Kimberly H
08-10-2003, 05:07 PM
When my oldest son was ready for shoes, our pediatrician told me to give this test to any shoes I was even thinking of purchasing.

Balance the shoe in your open hand upright with the toe of the shoes on your fingers and the heel on your thumb. Now close your hand, bringing fingers and thumb together. The shoe should bend completely in half with little to no resistance.

That's how much flexibility a baby's foot needs to be able to walk properly.

My sister came to visit last month, bringing her 16-month old son and his Robeez. I just knew they'd get all torn up from wandering around the (outside) outlet malls and playing outside. They're in great shape!

khakismom
08-10-2003, 08:01 PM
I bought the Stride-Rite first walkers for Kathleen when she was just starting to walk. She would take couple of steps here and there. And she hardly ever wore shoes--always bare feet. Well when we put those shoes on her--once she got used to lifting her feet off the ground with the extra weight of the shoes--she took off walking! :) I will get them again when it's Ellen's turn. Good luck! And have fun--watching your baby learn to walk is such a joy! :)

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen 6/4/03

Karenn
08-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Well, I don't know if I did it "right" or not, but this is what I have done:

I kept Colin in either barefeet or robeez until he had been walking for a couple of months. (I'd read that barefeet is best until they were good at walking.) Then, I splurged and bought him a pair of the Natural Motion shoes by Striderite. They are supposed to have the flexible soles that are recommended for new walkers. However, they don't feel that flexible to me.

So now, he's barefoot at home. He wears robeez if we're going out and he'll either not be walking (i.e. the grocery store) or walking indoors (i.e. church). I put him in his striderites if we're going to the park or some other place where I know he'll be walking outdoors. At one point, I was having him wear his robeez to the park but I found that they were getting pretty worn, and I was worried about sharp things poking him.

HTH,

pamela mom of 3
08-11-2003, 09:20 PM
I did it this way with my third now 2.5yrs ;)

Although he was mobile at 10mths ugh...anyhow we had the robeez for inside and/or outside home use actually he still wears them outside sometimes..since at home we don't have the same dangers as say a public place? For outdoors we used the stride rite natural motion system he still owns these bigger sizes now of coarse :P

I agree with others on the flexible sole is very important....you don't want anything to weigh them down nor restrict growth.

Have fun...it's a whole new world when their walking! :)

cdlamis
08-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Thank you all for your help- now I don't feel so lost!
Just like DD's hats and bows, its one more thing for her to learn to pull off! =)
Daniella and Julia 6-13-02