PDA

View Full Version : Winter-wear for toddlers

cara1
08-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Okay, well, the catalogs are starting to make me think about what kind of winter coat to buy DS. Last year, I was very happy with my polartec snowsuit, but now that we're walking (running, climbing, etc.), I don't know what to do. DS is 18 mos now. I know a lot of folks were happy with the Land's End parka. But that doesn't keep his little legs warm. Obviously to play in the snow he needs something else, but on a daily basis is this enough? Is this enough to wear to daycare every day? Now, for playing in the snow, do I match it up with the bib overalls, or just get a big waterproof one-piece snowsuit from Land's End? And also, what about the Rugged Bear? KathyO, you got me through last year's snowuit dilemma, are you listening??

KathyO
08-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Some folks prefer the jacket-and-matching-bib-overalls approach, on the theory that they can wear the jacket on milder/less active days, and add the overalls for serious snow-rolling.

Me, I find the jackets awfully short on their own, so I got a snowsuit, and then a coat at the consigment store. But it's up to you. I imagine that the daycare folks will bless you if whatever you choose is easy to get him in and out of!

Due to not being able to resist a deal when I find it, I ended up with two snowsuits last winter - a Rugged Bear Snowball and a Mountain Equipment Co-op Toaster (MEC is the Canadian version of REI). Both were great... but Rugged Bear has some great sale prices right now, so you might want to give them a look. Specifically, they still have the Blizzard in a 2 (http://www.ruggedbear-online.com/blizzardsnowsuit-inousn.html) and the Snowball in a 24 month (http://www.ruggedbear-online.com/snowbllvsutgirls-clrwinousnwbllsnst.html) Yeah, they've got the Snowball advertised as "Girl's", but that sure looks to me like a BLUE snowsuit, so who's gonna care? I guess the choice depends on DS's relative proportions (leggy or not?)

If DS is around 18 months right now, he was probably born at about the same time of year as my DD (April-ish?). She registers at pretty much exactly the 50th percentile for height, and she did last winter in a 24m/2year size. It was big at first, but didn't slow her down at all, and by the end of the winter she was all the way grown into it and then some.

When I got the Rugged Bear, I worried about whether the fabric would stand up to water and rough usage, and I needn't have worried. I've told the story about DD sitting down in an icy puddle up to her armpits, playing for ten minutes, and then being completely dry underneath when I picked her up and pulled the RB snowsuit off her for the drive home. And the fabric got lots of abuse and she hasn't left any marks or rips on it that I can see. And although they fluff it out a bit for the photos, I didn't feel that it was puffy enough to interfere with the proper functioning of her car seat harness. Plus I like that the zippers come well down on the legs, which makes it a cinch to get her in and out of it. Someone bequeathed me a Land's End snowsuit as well, which I got rid of because the zips stop at the hips - what good is that when I have two wiggly legs to get stuffed down those pantlegs?

Anyway, I hope some of this is helpful. Happy hunting!

Cheers,

KathyO

cara1
08-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Kathy, I knew you'd have so much info. Must be a Canadian thing. So Rugged Bear has a lot. And the site is so weird that depending on how you do a search, you pull up all sorts of things. They also have the snowball in a navy/lite blue. http://www.ruggedbear-online.com/snowballvsuitbys-clrwinousnwbllsnst.html
Not the cheeriest of colors, but if the snowball worked for you... They also have the Blizzard, but it doesn't have dual zippers. There's a Bearcub, but I don't think it's as good for rolling around in the snow.

So if I get the snowball, I'll also be wanting a regular winter jacket. They have like 12 versions. http://www.ruggedbear-online.com/infwinterjkts.html
I called to ask the difference, and they're all supposedly equally warm and the only difference is style. The Rascal seems cute. Any thoughts?

newbelly2002
08-19-2003, 03:02 PM
I'm not Kathy, nor Canadian, but I CAN attest to the quality of Rugged Bear. My MIL brought us over a rugged bear snow suit for DS last winter. It fit him fantastically and although it didn't feel that thick, always kept him toasty warm--which is saying something since Berlin had one of the coldest winters on record last year. And I absolutely second the wonderfulness (is that a word, well, it should be!) of having two zippers go all the way down the legs. When DS was sleeping in his stroller we could open his "cooling vents" and enjoy a warm coffee without having to wake him up and undress him, or worry about him overheating.

I'm seriously considering buying another one this year when we're back in the States for a few weeks next month.

Happy shoppng!
Paula, Mama to Dante
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32384e84594 -6/25 update

KathyO
08-19-2003, 03:09 PM
I like the idea that it must be a Canadian thing... beats my secret suspicion, which is that I am just a raving twitching obsessive-compulsive...

Are you sure the Blizzard doesn't have dual zips? The one in the link I have above sure looks like it does... or have they posted an outdated photo? The Snowball may look a tad plain, but jazz it up with a cute hat and/or mitts and you're off to the races.

The Rascal does look cute. And the ribbed cuffs and "chin warmer" are nice. I hope I'm not steering you wrong here... I just personally prefer a snowsuit at this age, and really loved my Rugged Bear, and the prices right now are great. Still scouting for next year's snow gear...

Cheers,

KathyO