PDA

View Full Version : Winter boots

cara1
08-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Okay, so while I'm perusing 9 million websites for parkas, bibs, and snowsuits, I realize that DS is walking, and needs boots! Can't very well have him running around in snow in his little canvas Keds. What do you do? Where do you get them? Online? Without trying on?

KathyO
08-18-2003, 10:08 PM
When I was working in northern Alberta (minus 40 or more a lot of the time), Sorels were the gold standard in winter boots, although their quality has slid a tich since they were taken over by Columbia.

At this age, your son will likely not be out for long enough stretches to really challenge the thermal qualities of his boots, so the number one quality is ease of putting on! Make sure the "throat" of the boot opens up well so that you can get his feet in easily even when he's doing the "noodle legs" thing.

Beyond that, I am still a fan of the Sorel style of construction... waterproof sole and instep, nylon fabric up the calves, and a removable pressed-felt bootie inside that can be pulled out and washed, or just thrown in the drier when Junior "pulls a soaker" (Northern-speak for managing to find a puddle deeper than your boots, or filling them with snow in a deep snow drift...) This feature means that the boots, whatever actual make they are, can be dry and ready to go again in short order.

Since they can be washed this way, I have no compunction about buying them second-hand at the consignment store... I just bring one of DD's current shoes and eyeball the fit sole-to-sole, remembering that the inner bootie makes the boot smaller than it looks from the outside.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

KathyO

momathome
08-19-2003, 08:03 AM
I have had the Lands End Flurry boots for the last couple of years and I really like them. They have several colors in their overstock section right now for about $16 - I just ordered a new pair a few weeks ago and they are very good quality for a reasonable price. Good luck!
-Lauren

cara1
08-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Seemedlike the flurry boots weren't as waterproof as the other ones LE sells. Have you noticed this? Also, they only come in regular whole sizes. Will they fit DS if he wears a wide?

momathome
08-19-2003, 09:46 AM
We have not had any problem with them not being waterproof enough. As far as to whether or not they fit a wide foot, I am not sure.
-Lauren

mabuckles
08-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Are they still on the Landsend overstock site? For some reason I do not see any winter items on the site? Am I doing something wrong?

cara1
08-19-2003, 12:56 PM
What about Kamik boots? Some good deals online...

cara1
08-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Kamik boots are on the Rugged Bear site and REI (I think). Are they any good?

momathome
08-19-2003, 02:46 PM
About 2 weeks ago, I received a Lands End overstock catalog in the mail that had a lot of winter items very cheap. In addition to the boots, I ordered Kasey a Squall Parka for only $29.99 - it is normally $65. If it is not on their website, call them to request the Overstock catalog. Good luck!
-Lauren

mabuckles
08-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Lauren,

Thanks for your help. I was wondering if you could also help me with sizing. My dd wears a size 5 shoe now. What size do you think in the Lands End boot for winter 6 or 7?