PDA

View Full Version : Clothing amounts?

jojo2324
08-23-2003, 08:04 PM
I know this question is asked a lot about layette/newborn stuff, but what about later on?? In going through my baby's clothes, I've realized that I've gone WAAAAAY overboard with the purchases. I cannot imagine what our clothing situation would be if I had had a girl! (Though that might be taken care of in a few month's time...:)) There are outfits that he never wore, things he wore once, etc. So, I am looking for some roundabout numbers on amounts to buy. Obviously this is a personal thing and everybody has a different take on wardrobe, plus the kids wearing them are a factor! (Luckily, miraculously, we have managed with only one outfit a day.) I just feel like if I went to the store with "six pairs of pants, 3 turtlenecks, 4 long sleeve shirts" etc, I would do a MUCH better job of not going crazy.

PS...I do laundry about 3 times a week, if that makes any difference. I am also about to start cloth diapering.

C99
08-23-2003, 08:17 PM
>PS...I do laundry about 3 times a week, if that makes any
>difference. I am also about to start cloth diapering.

Haha! We got you too, huh?

Anyway, I don't have any concrete numbers for you either, but I am also interested to see what responses you get. Nate doesn't have anything for the fall and I feel like I am buying stuff willy-nilly as a result. If it helps, Nate has worn rompers all summer and I think he was about 1 dozen of them. I do his laundry once or twice/week.

Momof3Labs
08-23-2003, 09:25 PM
>I am also about to start cloth diapering.

Hee, hee, welcome to the cult!

luvbeinmama
08-23-2003, 11:35 PM
I have enough outfits to last between laundry days (usually about once a week for me), plus a couple extras just in case.

peanut4us
08-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Interesting topic. I just barely went through DD's closet because she's about to switch sizes. And I realized that for the past 2 months she has lived in about 5 basic outfits, with the occasional dress for church or outfit that I don't like that grandma gave us.

I have a girl. Her outfits all match themselves, but not mix and match, KWIM?

Inventory
1 shirt and skirt red and white striped gap outfit with star on belly (love the star-bellied sneech effect)
1 tank and 1 flower shorts
1 pink romper
1 blue and white eyelet fancy romper (meaning, I used it in her penney's pix and it looked like a dress, but it's not)
1 shirt and 1 strawberry overall shorts

I have one peachy shirt and overalls that I don't like, but feel guilty if she doesn't wear it once every couple of weeks. I have 2 dresses for church.

For what's coming up:

4 nice outfit looking onesies (need to buy some denim overalls and pants for)
1 tank and 1 lt. pants
1 eyelet shirt white
1 overalls (long, beige)
2 dresses for church
2 long-sleeved cardigans

It'll be interesting to see how this next size really works bccause all of my stuff is more mix and match, rather than outfits. Also, I expect her to fit into this next size through October (you never know, but that's my guess). I don't have much in the way of long sleeved, but I live in Central Texas, so it shouldn't really be an issue until late November.

As far as sleep wear, she just wears basic onsies until it get cool out, then I will need to buy her 4 footed sleepers.

So i guess my shopping list is just denim overalls (long), 4 pairs of long pants, footed sleepers, and some socks.

More than you wanted to know, but thanks, it helped me figure out what I really need. BTW I do her laundry about 3 times a week. I would only need to do it twice for clothes, but I have to do it more often because of bibs and burp cloths.

You should also understand that my closet is about the same... I only really have stuff for about 5-6 days and a couple of skirts for church.

Marisa6826
08-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Hey Girlie!

I am pretty bad about going crazy and buying stuff for Sophie, too. When I recently went through her drawer to move the too small stuff to storage, I realized I definitely had my favourites that got worn over and over and over. Other stuff, I DID feel guilty about, but she still hardly wore. I also found that if it was a major PITA to put ON Sophie, I didn't have her wear it.

All that being said, this is what I have for her for fall/winter/spring. All new in either 12m or 12-18m size, which will undoubtedly be big on her in the beginning. This size is really trial and error for me since I knew it would be getting more dirty than previous ones with her learning to crawl, etc. Dog fur everywhere!! :)

One Lands End reversible red/striped "sweatsuit"
Three Hanna cardigans (orange, yellow and green)
Hanna Wiggle pants in yellow (to match the cardigan)
Hanna striped pants (the ones that match the giraffe jacket)
Two Petit Bateau reversible l/s rompers (one green, one blue)
One Petit Bateau berry sweatsuit with matching shirt
Carters onesies in misc. colours for underneath (she has a bunch left over that still fit from 6-9m)
Three Gap white s/s onesies
Six pair of Gap jammies - some two piece, some one piece
Hanna Giraffe coat in red
Lands End fleece bunting in light kelly green (she looks like Gumby in it)
Hanna striped bear hat
Zutano solid bear hat
Robeez in brown
Hanna Giraffe shoes

We have a rotating supply of 12 of the same reversible bibs. The ones I like are really hard to find, so I got a bunch. This way, we have ratty, stained ones for home and nicer ones for when we go out.

I was a complete sucker and just ordered some other stuff from Babystyle:

Three pair of pants, two cardigans and three l/s Ts. All interchangable. I'm pretty certain that they will all be way too big on her in the beginning, so I'll have her wear her other stuff (listed above) until then.

I usually do her laundry once or twice a week depending on how badly she has spit up :)

Damn, this girl has some SERIOUS clothes!!

Don't tell Jonathan! :)

-m

stillplayswithbarbies
08-24-2003, 10:45 AM
>
>Damn, this girl has some SERIOUS clothes!!
>
>Don't tell Jonathan! :)
>

LOL
I have been reading this thread, but there is no way I am going up to her room and count her clothes. I don't even want to know how much she has. I need to go through and take out things that are too small, but I know there will be some she has never worn.

I'm trying to buy less in the next size. Trying.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Calmegja
08-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Me, too, but I'm on baby #4, and I have never, ever been able to curb it, and it frustrates me, because at the end of a season, I clean out stuffed drawers and closets, and it makes me mad that so many cute items don't get worn, or hardly worn.

I have really good intentions to cut down, I do, but it never works out. This year I actually made lists of basics, and checked what we had, and tried ot make everything as interchangeable as possible, but I am still a sucker for children's clothing.

Sigh. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess,. I've got the same problem with my clothing, too.

nathansmom
08-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Okay I might have way too much for winter but I had the same amount during summer and everything was used. I do laundry about 2 times a week but rotate everything in Nates drawers so everything gets worn.
I didn't have to go look at what I had bought as I keep a list in my wallet so I don't buy 2 of the same things.

Tops:
1 Dinosaur sweater (gymboree)
2 gymboree bodysuits s/s (orange, baseball)
1 gap bodysuit s/s (white with cars)
1 cherokee polo bodysuit
1 carters printed s/s bodysuit
1 yellow s/s tshirt (sprockets)
1 navy s/s tshirt (old navy)
1 navy s/s henly bodysuit (old navy)
1 red bodysuit s/s
1 gray s/s tshirt (sprockets)
1 green/khaki l/s top (sprockets)
2 sweatshirts (sprockets) navy, gray
1 s/s bodysuit yellow with blue/white stripes (sprockets)
1 s/s orange bodysuit
1 s/s red,blue,white stripe bodysuit (sprockets)
1 l/s polo blue/green stripe (sprockets)

Bottoms:
1 offwhite overalls (sprockets)
1 denim jean (old navy)
1 painter jean (sprockets)
2 sweatpants (old navy) yellow,red
1 khaki cords (gymboree)

One pieces/clothing sets:
1 carters sweatshirt/pants/hat white with bears (red and blue)
1 John Lennon top/pants blue
1 gap bodysuit/leggings white with grey bears
1 light blue oshkosh top/pant
1 overalls with polo sports print on both
1 polo/pants set blue stipe top with khaki bottoms
1 carters bodsuit/pants set blue with stripes
2 carters creepers with pants yellow and yellow checks
2 l/s one piece from gymboree creme moose and blue dinosaur
1 one piece carters l/s blue with puppies
1 s/s one piece blue

PJ's:
1 old navy
1 carters

Things we are buying next month:
1 giraffe fleece top from hanna in orange
1 legging/top from baby style
socks
shoes

Some of this is from my collection I started while trying to get pregnant. Alot is from years past that I purchased at rock baragain prices.

jojo2324
08-24-2003, 02:21 PM
Ok...Here is what I've come up with so far. It's amazing how readily I dedicate myself to CLOTHING research!! LOL :D

So far I have two pairs of jeans, and a winter coat. That's it. So I actually do need a fair amount of stuff. These are my categories, and my estimated amounts:

3 pairs of pajamas (with or without feet..Gap has some footless pjs on sale right now...And what about fleece?)
2 turtlenecks (one of them will be the print giraffe/bird t-neck from Hanna...should I do onesie turtlenecks?)
4 long-sleeve shirts (just cotton knit)
4 pairs of pants (comfy, pull-on type pants...again, the zippy pants from hanna will be a pair)
2 pairs of khaki-ish pants
1 pair of overalls
1 sweatshirt
1 sweater
lt jacket (this will be his Hanna giraffe coat)
fleece vest (though this is not necessary with a sweater or the Hanna coat)
snow pants, bibs, whatever they are called (but not a suit, since I already have a coat)
hat/mittens
winter boots
1 pair of walking shoes (something from Stride Rite or Elefanten)
plus the zippy bear hat to complete the Hanna outfit

See, now this is starting to look like a lot, even if I strike the vest. What do you think of my numbers? I do laundry three times a week total, including Gman's stuff, which I still wash separtely. (I'm trying to finish the dang tub of Dreft! It's neverending!) And I think I need more PJs than that. I wish I hadn't bought these jeans on sale at TJ Maxx a while ago...I am realizing with the CDs that his tush ain't never gonna fit in them! And of course I lost the receipt. I DO have two pairs of sneaker-y type shoes for him, but I want him to have a pair of nicer shoes, and I don't mind spending money on those at Stride Rite. And today it is CHILLY, and he is actually wearing some pants that are too short. They definitely won't fit in a month. Unfortunately, everything is full price right now. :( I can wait for sales, right? It's not going to become frigid overnight. Wow, between maternity clothes for me, cloth diapers to build my stash, and some duds for the new baby, I've got a bit of shopping ahead of me!

Edited to add that I wouldn't mind having some one-piece outfits too...And socks! Sigh...Why do kids have so many clothing categories, and then you've got solid, stripe, print, cotton, fleece, cashmere...I've been checking out the BabyGap Luxe line. :P

Melanie
08-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Can't help you there! I am the same way with Ds. You might want to wait until you start CDing to buy any more or weed out his clothes, in case you have to change sizes.

peanut4us
08-24-2003, 09:47 PM
Oh no. I'm looking at your lists thinking that my poor baby is way underdressed! Actually, the rest of the lists were an even bigger reality check. So I need more than I thought.

Also, you never know sometimes about what you will like or not. I put DD in a new dress for church today. Denim, zips up the back. But it was awful. The fabric was harsh on her skin and the zipper really irritated her neck, so we won't be wearing that one agian!

ginamlee
08-24-2003, 09:53 PM
Ummmm.......

Clothing for my kids is my weakness...you know how some people collect strollers in large quantities? Well, I only have 3 of those.

BUT, my 2 oldest daughters have 4 closets full of clothes and 12 drawers packed too full.

My son has a walk in closet full of clothes and 6 drawers busting at the seams.

Autumn won't even be born until next month, but she has approximately 75-100 outfits (90% Baby Lulu, as I have popped a gasket on this brand for some reason) in sizes from NB-6mo.

I guess I'm an example of a bad resourse on what kids "need" in the clothing department.

It's funny, because I buy a piece of clothing for myself only once in a blue moon. It's just not as fun to dress myself as it is to dress the kids. (However, my mother-in-law loves to buy nice clothes for me every season, so I guess that is part of the reason, too.)

There are a lot of people here that need a 12 step program for strollers, and from reading this thread, I guess I need a 12 step program for children's clothing. I never really thought about it being "too much" until now. Maybe it is because I hate to do laundry? ;)

jojo2324
08-24-2003, 10:19 PM
>You might want to wait until you start CDing to buy any more or weed >out his clothes, in case you have to change sizes.

But I DO have to change sizes, regardless. That's the problem. Stuff that fits him now includes tee-shirts and shorts, which won't do me any good in our NY winters. And all of a sudden it is FREEZING here...It's like October. Maybe it would be cheaper to relocate to a tropical state?? Hee hee!! :)

jojo2324
08-24-2003, 10:22 PM
Ack, ack!! I thought I was being very good with my list, and not going overboard! Do you think my baby is overdressed?? Is that too much?

Honestly, I am just looking to not go crazy spending money, which I am known to do in clothing stores, even though I rarely buy anything full price. (I'm even reconsidering the giraffe jacket...SOB!!) I am not going to be working soon, and with another baby on the way, I've got to start pinching pennies some where. I don't have any thrift or consignment stores near me, so I am hoping that by having this list, I'll keep the buying to a minimum.

newbelly2002
08-25-2003, 05:41 AM
Joanne--instead of a tropical relocation, how about a trip to Berlin to save money. It is second-hand city over here. They have regular second hand stores, those just for kids, and those just for kids devoted to only the top brands (petit bateau, oilly, and a number of others). And those are just the *big* ones. Then there are your neighborhod second-hand kids stores and most of the stuff is in great condition. I picked up a pair of petit bateau shorts, tags still on, for 7 Euro last week. And I'm not one for lots of patience in stores.

So how about it (please?)? Or, a far second choice option, is if you tell me what you're looking for (colors, styles, brands, etc) I can bring it back for you if you're going to be in the Boston area at all next month.

Just a thought :)

Paula

Paula, Mama to Dante
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32384e84594 -6/25 update

Rachels
08-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Come to Boston!!! We have amazing consignment here. I got Abigail a ton (a TON) of stuff that all looked new, and the grand total was $24. So c'mon over. Visit friends, do cheap shopping. How can you beat that?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jojo2324
08-25-2003, 07:34 AM
Hmmm....Boston is tax free, isn't it?? :)

I'll ask DH if we can swing it...Mid-month, right?

stillplayswithbarbies
08-25-2003, 08:50 AM
okay for the Boston get-together, let's go consignment shopping! I'll come too.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

emmiem
08-25-2003, 10:40 AM
I guess I qualify for the 12 step program in both strollers and clothing! LOL! I have three strollers right now but really want one more when my all purpose one wears out. We have way too many clothes even for the fall! I buy a lot of Gymboree and I find that if I buy the cardigan sweater, I want to have several outfits that match it so I buy two pairs of pants and maybe a dress. Then you need several tops because they seem to get dirtier faster and then the jacket is too cute but what about the leggings?! You get the idea. I have a teenager as well but she generally buys her own or at least picks out her own items. Anyway, I thik we have about 30 outfits for the Fall. Yikes, I better stop. I think I buy for my DD because my teen is just in jeans and black band t shirts and nothing ever fits me!

nathansmom
08-25-2003, 11:00 AM
Maybe we have too much. Dh claims Nathan has way too much. Oh well.

Rachels
08-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Tax free, yes. And whenever you want to come, you're welcome here. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

AngelaS
08-25-2003, 03:05 PM
No way on God's green earth am I doing a breakdown inventory! LOL Let's just say my dd has WAAAAY too many clothes. I had a garage sale last spring and I was embarrassed when I put all her things on display...she outfitted several other children that day... ROTFL!

I love to garage sale so many of the items I buy come from garage sales. OR they get bought new at Gymboree. LOL But my reasoning behind going OVERBOARD buying clothes is their resale value. :D No, seriously! I buy things on sale at Gymboree and then when my girls are done wearing them, I resell them on eBay and in the end, my girls wound up wearing them for next to nothing!

AND, when I resell their garage sale finds, I often MAKE money. G has about 4 Tommy Hilfiger outfits in her wardrobe now that I paid under $5 each for at garage sales. I know in the spring when I eBay them, I will start them at $7.50 and they'll probably all sell for that or more. :D I mean, truly, I'm dressing my kids almost for FREE! :D