PDA

View Full Version : So where are your favorite places to shop online?

peanut4us
08-27-2003, 09:44 PM
I know we've been through this before. But i need to get Sara a few things for the fall. I was absolutely disgusted at Target today. I just wanted plain denim overalls. The only ones they had had stupid "embellishments" (and that's being nice) all over them. I thought, Ok, I'll just get her a pair of jeans instead... uh, my 5 month old doesn't need to be wearing "ho-gear". Grrr. I don't have a lot of time to run all over to find reasonably priced, good quality clothes for her right now.

So I want to get her stuff online, but all I can think of is Hanna and Gymboree, and frankly, that's a bit out of my price range. So where do you all shop for just your average everyday clothes?

trumansmom
08-27-2003, 10:10 PM
I often shop the overstock page at Lands End, and the sale page at Baby Gap. Actually, I bought DS a plain pair of denim overals on the Baby Gap website a couple of months ago for $9.99.

Also, have you tried Ebay?

Good luck!
Jeanne\r\nMom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

peanut4us
08-27-2003, 10:20 PM
This is going to sound stupid, but I've never bought anything off of Ebay. I was just poking around there right now, and found a really incredible lot... the reserve isn't met. I know I read a thread about people not getting their auction because others are using some kind of "bot"s. What's the best way to Ebay?

Maybe I should post this in the Lounge too? Get other people's strategies.

em_jon98
08-27-2003, 10:31 PM
Have you tried the apparel section at Amazon.com? Many of the stores/companies have a section there, and I found the prices to be comprable to what you would find in the stores. I purchased Lindsey plain denim overalls on sale for under $10 at our Osh Kosh store last spring, and I believe they were in the Osh Kosh store at Amazon for not much more.

I also love Land's End. The prices are less than Hanna and Gymboree, and the quality is great. They carry a nice selection of their seasonal assortment at Sears now, but the basics are pretty much still just on the Land's End website. Gymboree has good sales.

Also, Target is carrying Osk Kosh labeled stuff now. Some of it is really cute, and some not so cute. I have had good luck with their Circo store brand, and they usually have some very basic things at some point in the season (the Circo stock turns pretty frequently). Stay away from the Cherokee label--I returned a outfit that shrunk horribly and the seam ripped after two washings.

Torey
08-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Gap.com seems to have nice overalls on clearance frequently. I have also seem some cute ones at OldNavy.com. My mom just bought DD some OshKosh overalls (very plain, traditional ones) at Sam's Club for $14 a pair. This is about 1/2 what they normally cost. And they have them in all sizes.

sweetbasil
08-28-2003, 02:47 AM
I usually bid through www.esnipe.com which holds my bid until 7 seconds (an adjustable number) before the auction ends. That way, the item isn't getting bid up by me, and others don't know I'm interested, so I have a better chance of winning.

I'd bid on lots of auctions while in progress, only to lose them at the last minute, so now I esnipe almost all my auctions and have a great success rate.

As a seller, I don't care if my buyer bids all through the auction or snipes a bid at the last second- hey, they still bid the most!

HTH,

khakismom
08-28-2003, 02:02 PM
I'm in total agreement with you about the embellishments. Last year, I could not for the life of me find plain, straight leg (not flare) pair of khakis for DD. I ended up buying them from the boys section at Old Navy for $12. And we *loved* them! For reasonably priced clothes, you might check out the Miniwear and Koala Kids brands at BRU (not KRU--lots of embellishments). You have to pick and choose thru what you want, but they do have lots of cute clothes at low prices. I buy Kathleen play outfits from there--top and bottom sets or dresses for $9.99. Or try Children's Place--although alot of their clothes have embellishments too. You have to keep checking online for the occasional traditional outfit. Are there any resale shops in your area? I've gotten some steals on Hanna, Baby Gap, Gymboree, Ralph Lauren, and Tommy Hilfiger outfits for Kathleen and Ellen. A warning though, in my experience, the selection and quality of the clothes goes down as the sizes get bigger.

What I have been doing this season as Kathleen is abusing her clothes more and more--by playing hard--is getting 1 or 2 pairs of jeans and khakis and then lots of different tops (usually at Target :)).

Good luck! :)

houseof3boys
08-28-2003, 02:23 PM
I am a big fan of the Gap sale page too. I also love Ebay for scouting out great deals. If DS would get his act together today and nurse, we are making a run to Sears to check out the Lands End stuff that someone posted was on sale (spring and summer). Before he was born, I bought stuff at Target, Old Navy, Baby Gap, Babies R Us and was an okay shopper. The boards taught me to be a great shopper and buy a few sizes ahead when there are great deals!

pritchettzoo
08-28-2003, 04:54 PM
Osh Kosh has some cute stuff on sale right now. I got an email saying everything was 40-50% off (no code, just on sale). There's a pair of overalls for $10.40:
http://www.oshkoshbgosh.com/product.asp?pid=8028012&did=906

Also, Gymboree has some cute overalls on sale, but they aren't plain:
http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=1439403&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1492911&bmUID=1062095640874&productSizeSelected=0

I know what you mean about the "ho-gear." A DF & I have thought about designing a line of clothing called "L'il Sluts" to accomodate children of the fashionistas...

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

Melanie
08-28-2003, 05:27 PM
I just got a nice pair of plain jeans from Mervyn's for $9.99 on sale...They also had osh-kosh. If you want plain, check in the toddler boy's section.

egoldber
08-28-2003, 06:23 PM
I hear you on the ho-gear for little girls!! That being said, I do buy a lot of Sarah's stuff at Target. I'm just patient for stuff that is what I want. I got her a pair of basic jeans at Walmart of all places recently. They are just plain jeans. I was SO happy and they were around $8.

I get a lot of stuff from Lands End, but now I buy it at Sears on sale. Since I have to sales tax now, at least I skip the shipping that way.

I also buy one outfit a season from Hanna, to be "special".

I haunt the clearance racks at Gymboree, babyGap, Lord&Taylor, Nordstrom's and Old Navy.

I am becoming more and more fond of Kohl's (I think they are the same as Mervyn's) and their house brand stuff.

I get some Carters clothes at the outlet or on sale at places like Kohl's.

I don't personally like to buy her clothes on-line. I like to see and touch the clothes.

HTH,

Marisa6826
08-28-2003, 06:35 PM
Hey Joey!

I hate the stuff at Target. Blech, blech, blech.

I've done really well at babystyle.com. Their own line of stuff is simple, understated and very reasonably priced (Ts, little pullon pants and cardigans) - usually two for $22 or so. Besides, they come in very cool, unbaby-like colours.

I personally refuse to dress Sophie in pink.

My backups are always Gap, Hanna and Lands End. Baby Talbot is good if you can get it on sale, as is another one of my faves, Janie and Jack.

Good luck and happy shopping!

BTW - You can usually find Hannas on eBay...

-m

suribear
08-28-2003, 06:39 PM
What do you mean by embellishments?

I *love* embroidered and appliqued flowers, as in typical gymboree styling. To me, that makes the clothes so much cuter :) So I'm curious, is that what people are against?

I don't like the sleazy look, btw. I think it's horrible, but thank goodness there is Lands End! Their big girl stuff looks so much nicer, IMO, than the stuff you see at the mall. UGH.

You know what I have my eye on right now? The Lands end cotton long sleeved dresses that came out for fall in different patterns. They are so adorable and look very comfy, and I bet they will last and last..

for plain denim, Oshkosh outlets are a great resource. Those are cute, too.

Kris

AngelaS
08-28-2003, 07:21 PM
I LOVE eBay! :) I do lots of shopping and selling there.

I also love Gymboree, Gap and Lands End. :D