PDA

View Full Version : How long do you wait to get rid of clothes?

jojo2324
08-29-2003, 09:49 PM
I haven't gotten rid of anything yet, a good thing since I have one so close on his heels, but when do you start purging stuff from the storage bins? I was thinking that I would keep everything until all my kiddos were here, but that could be a decade from now, and what if Ebay doesn't exist by then?? :)

Plus, while I could hold on to stuff, what if my other babies aren't born at the appropriate time? Example: I have a snowsuit for Gannon, but by the time this baby is ready to wear it, it will be too warm. Should I just hold on to it anyway?

emmiem
08-29-2003, 11:01 PM
I usually keep the things that I loved, washed well, and would want to see on another child. Keep in mind that some consignment stores only want item one year old or less. I guess it also depends on how much storage room you have. I found that I usually wanted newer things again for the next baby.

momathome
08-30-2003, 10:01 AM
I agree. My girls were born 3 years and 5 days apart from each other so while technically I could have used all of the same stuff for Kasey, I got rid of about half of Liza's old things, keeping the stuff that was in the best shape and that I loved. This left me room to purchase some new things for Kasey but make dh happy by using some hand-me-down stuff. Some of the old stuff I have given away to friends who were in need, some stuff I have donated to Goodwill, some things I have sold in garage sales and consignment shops. Happy shopping!!!
-Lauren

sarsah
08-31-2003, 10:28 PM
My boys are two weeks short of being exactly 3 years apart and similarly built (long & thin), so the younger one has TONS of clothes left over from the older one. The older one was born in a cold climate, so I have TONS of winter clothing from his first year, but now we live in a warm climate, so I really have more winter stuff than I'll ever need.

I saved everything after DS #1 was born, but gradually went through the boxes and weeded out things. I only kept the stuff that I really liked and sold the rest at local consignment sales. That way I get to buy DS#2 some new things, but get more use out of the stuff I really liked. Someone told me to do this right from the start, but I didn't listen. I think you make better money on the clothing if it is fairly recent, rather than storing it for a few years and then selling it.

Sarah.....Jason & Devin's Mommie

sweetbasil
09-01-2003, 02:49 AM
Before Charlie was born, I went through the rubbermaids and pulled out the outfits that I didn't love, those with stains (I wasn't up for treating all the spit-up stains turned yellow on those lighter colored outfits), etc., and donated them. I was not really thrilled with the boys' spacing, because DS#1 was born near winter, and #2 in the middle of the summer, so none of the clothes, in theory should've worked for our new baby. But (after reading some of your old posts about Gannon, I know you'll identify with this) Charlie is a really big baby--- 15# at 2 mo...so at the rate he's going (and considering any shrinkage that might've happened in the wash with his big brother's clothes), he'll be wearing Kellen's 12 mo. winter clothes this winter! I'm soooo glad I didn't just get rid of everything or assume that their spacing meant we were sunk and give up on all those old clothes....

HTH,

AngelaS
09-01-2003, 05:59 AM
My girls are 4.5 years apart. I saved a LOT of A's clothes, but when I was pregnant with G, I started garage saling for her own wardrobe (didn't hurt that one was a Dec. baby and one was May either). So as G's growing, I'm weeding out more and more of A's old things. And when G is done with her things, I'm selling them. Dh says 2 is enough so if we get a bonus baby, she'll get a whole new wardrobe!! :D