PDA

View Full Version : Washing items before baby comes (and other laundry ?'s)!

nicknack
08-31-2003, 10:53 AM
Hi everyone-
Okay, baby is due in 10 weeks so I'm starting to think about getting ready. We have a bunch of clothes already, and I'll most likely be getting some more sleepers for those first few weeks. My question is, do I really have to wash all of the clothes before the baby comes? Have any of you not washed the stuff before having baby wear it or do you suggest doing it? I'm a bit confused because lots of people say to keep receipts and tags on things until you're sure they will fit and all that, but then if I do that, I'll have NO clothes ready for the baby!
Also, do you use a special detergent like Dreft? I have heard mixed opinions about this--some say you should, some say a regular detergent like Tide is fine as long as it's the kind without additives and all that.
And finally--do you dry everything that you wash beforehand? Does baby stuff tend to shrink a lot or are certain brands known to shrink more than others? I have a Carters sleeper and will probably get some more (it's the cotton kind)--should I dry that?

Thanks SO much, as you can see I'm a bit confused!!!
Nicole

amp
08-31-2003, 12:01 PM
Nicole,

Don't worry, you'll figure it all out soon enough. For now, let's see if I can ease your mind. It is a good recommendation NOT to wash everything before the baby comes. I would just wash several things and wait to see if the baby can actually wear those items comfortable. That way, you have outfits ready when you come home, but can still return some if needed. If they all turn out to be the right size, then have DH or someone throw the rest of the clothes in the wash when you come home. I found out too late that newborn sized clothing just wouldn't fit for more than a few weeks. Luckily, we were able to exchange some things that still had tags. Same with diapers. Don't open more than one package until you make sure they fit.

We did not use any *special* detergent to wash baby's clothes, although I know lots of people do. We are using All Free and Clear and Downy Free and Clear (or whatever they are called). Cheer also makes a version, and All has a Baby care one too. They have no dyes or perfumes in them and we just wash them with all of our own clothes. Others just use the scented versions they were already using and they don't have a problem. I chose to go without all the additives just to be on the safe side.

Some things will shrink, but finding out which ones is a lot of trial and error. I have found that Gerber clothing, sheets, etc. shrink terribly. (That's not to say that I wouldn't buy their plain onesies for layering under clothes when it gets cold out, but I would buy up a size or two) I haven't found the same shrinking problem with Carters or other brands as much. And we do throw everything in the dryer.

Hope this helps ease your mind a bit...

houseof3boys
08-31-2003, 12:24 PM
I washed everything before Ryan was born and ended up with a bunch of 0-3 that he never wore and I can't return since I took the tags off. I would wash a few of your favorite outfits and sleepers so your babe has some stuff. Our babe only wore sleepers it seemed for the first week since I was so tired and he was so tired :) I had purchased some side snap tees but only used one of them and then when I did laundry, he wore it again. Wash all of your burp cloths and blankets since those will definitley get used! As to the detergent question, I didn't use Dreft but there are lots of posts on this if you want to read them. I used Gain, Tide and All Free and we have never had a problem with any allergic reactions. I didn't want to deal with "special" detergent but I hear Dreft smells heavenly. You will have to decide what you want or play it by ear. We got 3 samples of Dreft in the hospital paraphernalia just in case we needed to do some quick rewashing. The shrinkage factor on the better brands is minimal and the cheaper brands will shrink more and the snaps are not as sturdy. I think that Lands End is a great wearing brand and I like Gap stuff. Carters sleepers are good too and we liked the gowns in the beginning since there are sooooo many diaper changes. The zipper ones are nice too in the beginning since snaps can be cumbersome when you are living on so few zzzzz's.

I obsessed about making sure I had washed every little thing before Ryan was born and I remember how tired I was doing all of that washing, folding and putting away. Now I wish I would have just kicked my feet up and eaten bon bons. ;)

lukkykatt
08-31-2003, 01:19 PM
Not everyone agrees, but I think that a newborn's clothes should be washed before wearing. I would only wash the layette items that will definitely be worn - onesies, sleepers or gowns, socks, hats, receiving blankets, burp cloths and sheets. Also whatever outfit you have picked for the baby to some home in, and maybe on or two others. All the other clothes can be washed once the baby comes home and you know his/her size. Then you can return or exchange anything that you need to.

I always bought one big bottle of Dreft and used it until it was gone, then switched to regular detergent. But that is just my preference (I do love the way Dreft smells!) - you don't NEED to! I asked our ped about detergent and she said that unless your baby has a reaction, you can use whatever you already use in your house. If your baby does have a reaction, then switch to a detergent with no scent added. So, the detergent issue is up to you.

I did dry all my baby clothes, but on low and don't remember ever having a problem.

Good luck!

C99
08-31-2003, 08:56 PM
I washed everything that was given to us -- including the 3-6 month stuff -- before Nate was born and I wish I hadn't. If I could do it again, I'd wash all of the 0-3 month outfits, but keep the tags and gift receipts for the larger stuff.

I also wash everything in baby detergent -- although I don't like Dreft (and neither does Nate). We use the Target brand of baby laundry detergent. And I put all of his stuff in the dryer as well.

I think shrinkage is really more of an issue when your baby starts growing and the outfits are worn and washed over & over again. I really didn't notice a huge difference in outfits shrinking. And the question with Carter's sleepers isn't shrinkage so much as inconsistent sizing. IME, the velour sleepers were the largest in the size, followed by the cotton knit and then the terry sleepers.

HTH