PDA

View Full Version : q's about sleepers

cchavez
09-08-2003, 11:56 AM
where can i find flame resistant sleeper. the only ones I have have are 100% cotton. Also, I would prefer sleepers without the feet. DS is short and stocky w/ big feet. I need 6-12 mos size. Thanks.

Momof3Labs
09-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Sleepers usually aren't flame resistant until you hit the 12 month size. And usually the flame resistant sleepers are icky polyester. Carter's is probably the best place to find them.

cchavez
09-08-2003, 08:06 PM
So it is ok to have him in 100% cotton sleepers? tia

pritchettzoo
09-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Apparently the government decided it was okay to market 100% cotton garments as "sleepwear" for babies 9 months and younger, but for over 9 mos, garments which are not tight-fitting must be marketed as "playwear." If an item is skin tight, then it can be labelled as "sleepwear."

Here's the CPSC's "Final Clarification of Statement of Policy" on it:
http://www.cpsc.gov/BUSINFO/frnotices/fr99/clarif.html

And a letter to retailers explaining the CPSC labeling law:
http://www.cpsc.gov/BUSINFO/sleepwear.html

So, apparently, children will not spontaneously combust in skin-tight pajamas... I don't really see how being skin-tight or loose-fitting would alter the child's exposure to fire, but I'm not a government expert! Everything we have is cotton, but the flammability issue honestly hasn't even crossed my mind until now. I might be more concerned if we were co-sleeping and smoking, but I can't fathom a way she could get around a fire as a baby (other than a house fire, at which point the pajamas seem a minor point of concern). Candles maybe? If you're really worried about fire or have had a horrible experience with fire, I believe Target carries baby wear made with polyester. A friend got some as a gift and said they repelled breast-milk-spit-up like they were teflon coated but were nice and soft. I can't remember the name, but it was a brand I have only seen at Target.

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

naomi01
09-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Anna - thank you. That was the most coherant answer I have gotten as to why they stop making the pjs in cotton after 9 months. I agree with your rational, and I rather dislike the polyester....if I may ask, how did you get all this information? And are there any cotton sleepers left on the market for 12-18 month olds?

Naomi
DS 12/02/02

stillplayswithbarbies
09-09-2003, 10:16 AM
gymboree carries tight fitting cotton sleepers without feet in larger sizes.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

pritchettzoo
09-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Google rules! (I love researching, and I have had to quit work until the baby comes, so I need something to occupy my time before I go completely insane...)

From reading the CPSC "rules," you might want to look for items labelled "playwear" instead of "sleepwear." Also, Gap has footed sleepers up to 5 yrs. But someone else I think already said that.

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

malie
09-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Anna,
The theory I think (can't remember where I read it off hand) is that a loose fitting garment is more likely to be hanging and one would not notice that it had caught fire or because it is hanging it could be more likely to knock over something (that would cause a fire I guess)

amp
09-09-2003, 01:33 PM
BRU has sleepers with feet in larger sizes. I know you were looking for sleepers without feet. We are purchasing playsuits for DS in the 9-12 & 12-18 mth size without feet, that he can wear to bed and for daytime. I can't recall if they also had sleepers without feet.

khakismom
09-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Snug-fitting clothes help prevent burn injuries. Since fire feeds on air (oxygen), if your jammies are tight-fitting, there's less air between the clothes and your skin to catch fire, causing burn,

I hope this makes sense. :)

pritchettzoo
09-09-2003, 06:28 PM
That does make sense! Plus I guess babies wouldn't be very adept at the "Stop, drop, and roll" move either!

This whole line makes me think of that Saturday Night Live skit with Jane Curtin and Dan Akryod--you know with the bad Halloween costumes? The sad thing is that the pajama manufacturers actually did something similar in the 1970s...

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

Tondi G
09-11-2003, 07:20 PM
You can find non footed sleepers in 100% cotton at Baby Gap... as well as footed sleepers and long john style 2 piece sets! If you want the non footed styles start looking now cause as it gets closer to winter more and more of them have feet! I wish DS would wear them... with feet they have zippers which are so easy... without feet they have snaps and DS grabs either side and pops the snaps open!!!! So we are now wearing 2 piece pj's.... he's growing up!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!