PDA

View Full Version : Attention Knitters: Have a question about a yarn

momtoemma
09-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Baby Gap has a really cute striped or variegated poncho right now. The website shows that it is sold out. I really don't want to buy one anyway as my mother knits and even has a pattern for a poncho that she used regularly. What I'm wondering is do you have any idea what type of yarn they might be using on this poncho? I'm not looking for the exact kind of yarn, I'm more interested in the weight of it or good brands to check out. We don't have much in the way of knitting shops where I live, so I may have to order on-line. The ponchos she has made in the past were all done in a much heavier weight yarn so they turned out thicker, but I prefer this thinner look.

Here's a link to the photo: http://www.gap.com/asp/shops/baby/bg_gift_ideas.asp?wdid=6364

It's the striped one near in the center bottom photo.

Thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
09-13-2003, 11:28 PM
I don't know about knitting, but The Children's Place has a similar poncho. I almost bought one but then realized it would be silly on a baby who doesn't even sit up yet. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Momof3Labs
09-14-2003, 08:05 AM
Do you have a Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart or JoAnn fabrics near you? They all carry yarn.

I would suggest Lion brand yarns (www.lionbrand.com) - one that comes to mind is Polarspun. It is very lightweight and very soft, although a bit expensive. Their Magic Stripes yarn might work up cool, although I haven't seen or tried it yet. Homespun or Homespun Baby works up nice and soft, too, and drapes very nicely (good for a poncho). If you don't want to spend much for yarn, there are good acrylics (by Red Heart) that come in great colors, too.

shishamo
09-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Hi!

I saw the poncho in babygap store. Very cute- in fact, I'm planning to make one for my DD!
I think the yarn is either worsted (18st/4inches) or heavy worsted (16st/4inches). I agree with the above poster, Lion Brand has inexpensive yarns, the quality is so-so but you can't beat the price. The type of yarn used is called Boucle, or Thick-and-thin yarn, it looks to be cotton/acrylic blend?

HTH,

Sara

shishamo
09-14-2003, 10:33 AM
For a good brand, try:

Rowan
Gedifra
Jaeger
Classic Elite
Noro*

*There is a yarn called Kureyon from the company called Noro. They make a yarn that creates stripes: It's about the same weight, a bit scarchy but comes in gorgeous colors and very warm.

http://www.yarns-and.com/Noro/NORkureyon-a.jpg
http://www.yarns-and.com/Noro/NORkureyon-b.jpg

Yarn site:

www.knitpicks.com
good selection of yarns, decent price!

www.elann.com
this is a great discount yarn site

If you need a pattern, I highly recommend
"Rowan Babies"
absolutely fantastic patterns including a poncho! Amazon carries it. I have HUGE pattern library and this my latest and greatest.

Sara

momtoemma
09-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks all for the advice! I'm going to check out my Micheal's later this week and will also be browsing the websites mentioned.

malie
09-14-2003, 11:46 AM
If you get a Michael's ad in today's newspaper they also have a 50% off one regular priced item (of course that would only be one skein of yard but any little bit) It also looks like some of the yarn is on sale this week.

Rachels
09-14-2003, 12:04 PM
I love the catalog from www.patternworks.com . The website is decent, but their free catalog is GREAT. Lots of tips, explanations of yarns, etc. It's worth getting.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

tiffany04
09-15-2003, 10:25 AM
If you want to be able to wash the ponch in the washer, you will want to make sure that any wool or wool-blend yarn you buy is "superwash" (meaning it is machine washable). the Noro Kureyon mentioned above is gorgeous, but definitely hand wash only.

Plymouth Encore (available at the patternworks site mentioned above) is another affordable, machine washable wool-blend yarn that is good for kid's stuff. Personally I prefer it to lion brand.