PDA

View Full Version : My Gymboree Gripe

lovin2shop
09-15-2003, 11:20 AM
I think that I am done with Gymborree. I love their clothes, but I almost feel like their pricing and sale policy are nothing but gimmicks. I'm so tired of them running promotions and then having every exception apply so that you have to be a math wizzard to figure out if you are getting any kind of a deal. I used the Friends and Family coupon this weekend (thanks to the heads up on this board!) which should be great, but when I got to the register it was so complicated. I thought that I had enough to get a gymbuck, but with the coupon they require that you spend $75. And you could not get the 2/for or 3/for deals with the coupon. Instead they charge full price and then give you the discount which works out to almost the same thing (ie: no coupon necessary).

Also, I'm tired of them constantly adjusting the sale prices up and down on the website. I bought some things six weeks ago that are now more expensive than they were when I bought them.

Plus, the last time I redeemed my Gymbucks, I had to return 2 items. I spent $250 and only redeemed two Gymbucks. When I made the return, they deducted a percentage the gymbucks from my return even though I had $175 in other purchases that I did not return. Grrr....

So, to end my rant - I will probably still shop there a little bit. But, I'm no longer wasting my time watching for sales or gymbucks. If I like something and the price is reasonable, I might buy it. But, I plan to buy most of my son's clothes other places because I am just so annoyed.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Amy (mommy to Drew 9/3/02)

parkersmama
09-15-2003, 12:44 PM
I love Gymboree clothes but I'm with you on their annoying sales tactics. If you buy something with Gymbucks, you'd better be damn sure you're not going to return it! I learned the hard way, too. Now when I have Gymbucks I only use them on things I'm certain will fit and I'll keep. If I have other things to buy, I have them rung up separately. I know it's annoying but unfortunately, they have some of the cutest and best quality clothes that are at least reasonably affordable! UGH!

heidi_timms
09-15-2003, 01:42 PM
Does anyone know what happens when you return something from your original purchase after using your gymbucks a few weeks later? I am just curious!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

egoldber
09-15-2003, 02:05 PM
I never do the Friends&Family thing or Gymbucks. I just shop off the clearance rack. :)

emmiem
09-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Nothing happens. If I have gymbucks and know I want to return something on that receipt, I just return it after the redemption period. There is a 6 month return policy after all and there should be no questions asked. I never have trouble with my store in town.
Emmie

kransden
09-15-2003, 03:15 PM
IMHO it is a scam, all the bounce backs they provide etc. But, I love to play to win. The thrill is the fun of it for me. BTW I am a math person. So I never buy anything that isn't on sale plus another % off. If gymbucks are going, I buy ONLY 50.00 (or 100). If I am short a little, I'll buy extra socks or their bubble refills for the daycare or bubble sets for little presents. If I am over, I will buy the item(s)likely to be returned seperately. When I redeem gymbucks, I do the same thing. I buy only $50.00 and if there is anything over I ring it seperately. They way they have the system set up devalues the gymbucks when you redeem them if you don't.

Also the first weekend of gymbucks there is always an extra 20% off on items. The next weekend never has a sale.

If you just look at it as a game. It can be fun, otherwise you will go crazy.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

lovin2shop
09-15-2003, 04:01 PM
You're right, I should look at it as more of a challenge! I'm a CPA so I should be able to handle the math, LOL! Anyway, I just feel so short on time these days and I think it just all got to me this shopping trip. Since I can't shop as much these days, I like to stock up for the season and for gifts. So, I got all excited about the coupon and then got really irritated when checking out. Plus, they don't have much out for boys in the 12-18 mo. range, so I actually wanted to buy more, but couldn't find anything. The crazy thing is that I used to love the shopping hunt, maybe it'll come back to me if I ever manage 8 hours of sleep on a regular basis!

Feeling better after my vent,
Amy

parkersmama
09-15-2003, 04:22 PM
That's great advice about the extra 20% off! I'd never noticed it before but I'll be sure to take FULL advantage this time around!

mharling
09-15-2003, 06:09 PM
I completely agree with you. I have 'evil' images of people sitting around in a conference room making up their policies!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

egoldber
09-15-2003, 08:31 PM
And you wouldn't be wrong. Don't think they haven't VERY carefully analyzed how to maximize your spending and their profit.

kransden
09-15-2003, 09:20 PM
The mall is on the way home for us. DH meets us, we go to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. I shop at Gymboree and 1 other store, we go home. While I shop, dh and dd window shop. It is a small night out for us. It isn't so long that she gets crabby or off schedule, but I feel like I can accomplish something at the same time and we have a mini family date.

One other FYI, I haven't been shopping at Gymboree that long, but I have experience with retail pricing. Gymboree definately follows a pattern. The extra 30% off(FnF discount) sale and regular priced items seems to happen once a quarter, maybe more often, I am not sure. I haven't tracked that as well. Maybe someone else knows. I would ask the girls at the store, but the turn over is so high, I doubt any of them have been there over a year.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

mharling
09-16-2003, 12:33 PM
They absolutely have!! I think that's why my images are 'evil'. And obviously they're very good at it because I would imagine these programs and policies aren't cheap to run and maintain (thinking about advertising/marketing of promotions and programming their systems to deal with any seemingly possible GymBucks scenario).

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

vikivoly
09-17-2003, 03:03 PM
"I thought that I had enough to get a gymbuck, but with the coupon they require that you spend $75."

You might want to double check with management about that. I just double checked my receipt to make sure, but I spent $117 with the Friends and Family coupon and received 2 Gymbucks.

The best advice I could give anyone about Gymboree is NEVER PAY FULL PRICE. Even if you are earning or redeeming your Gymbucks.

peanut4us
09-18-2003, 04:14 PM
That is so true... I got a Gymbuck and only spent $60. So I would double-check that.

kransden
09-19-2003, 11:32 AM
You probably were shopping during the 30% off sale. You have to spend 50.00 after ALL discounts are taken. $75.00 is the correct price point for that.
Karin and Katie 10/24/02

emmiem
09-19-2003, 12:07 PM
Another Gripe! You know all the items you bought from the Folk Song line at full price this week? It is now on SALE! Personally, I would rather get the markdown then hold onto a gymbuck!@
Emmie

parkersmama
09-19-2003, 02:53 PM
They actually do price adjustments if it's been less than 10 days, I believe. Just take in your receipt and they'll ring you up a refund (store voucher, usually)!

kransden
09-20-2003, 05:47 AM
FYI NEVER buy during the week! The sales only run Fri-Sun. (There are extremely rare exceptions, but those are usually lousy sales IMHO)

Take that stuff back and surrender the gymbuck, or buy another shirt and keep the gymbuck! This is the last weekend for gymbucks.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

emmiem
09-21-2003, 11:50 AM
I got my price adjustment. It goes back on the method of payment so I got my debit card refund. Had to give up the gymbuck--big deal. The price adjustment is for 14 days same as gap and children's place.