PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a snowsuit/winter jacket for my newborn?

jayhjay
09-15-2003, 12:36 PM
I am wondering if I need a snowsuit or winter coat (an all one piece thing) for my newborn due in November. I am planning to get one of those Bundle Me fleece inserts for the car seat carrier. So when she is in that, I won't use a coat. But I am wondering if I need a coat for those (relatively few I'd think) times that she is in the stroller or being carried by hand outside for a period of time. Even if I take her out of the car seat and into the stroller in the mall or something, I can't imagine stopping to put her in a snowsuit. Presumably I'd just use blankets for the quick dash into the store.

Does anyone have any experience with this? My last one was a spring baby so I just put on a regular jacket for her by the time winter rolled around. But I wonder if I need one of those full body types for this one or if the fleece car seat insert will sufice. Thanks!

twins r fun
09-15-2003, 12:48 PM
My boys were end of October babies and I very rarely used a snowsuit. What I had was a one piece made of very thin fleece. The only times I used it was when I had to use the double stroller as opposed to just carrying them in the carseats. Since I had to get both of them out of the seats and buckled into the stroller, I felt like it was a little long to be out in the cold with nothing on. Really I could have packed blankets around them for this but someone had given us snowsuits so I used them. I'd think you'd be fine without one especially if you can wrap him/her in a blanket real quick, but I guess it in large part depends on where you live and whether you can be quick getting to and from the car (ie, will you have to wait for older children to get out, walk, etc.)

emilyf
09-15-2003, 01:25 PM
My baby was born in the end of November and I got two fleece buntings as gifts, and used them all the time. We live in the city, and I used them in the baby bjorn when walking to restaurants, walking the dog etc. I had a thinnish one from Old Navy and a heavier one from Patagonia. I guess it depends on how much outside walking you do without the carseat, but it was a must for me.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

cara1
09-15-2003, 02:44 PM
My baby was born in Feb, and I was glad to have a snowsuit. The newborn ones were swimming on him at first, but eventually he grew into it. It depends on your lifestyle. I didn't want to worry about piling on blankets. My favorites are from http://www.ruggedbear-online.com They have great fleece stuff with dual zippers that allow easy insertion of baby legs.

kransden
09-15-2003, 02:55 PM
I think it depends on where you live. I had one but used it only once or twice. It was easier to use blankets with the carrier for us, and if it was cold enough that she would need a snowsuit, I didn't go outside! lol, I hate the cold.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

vikivoly
09-17-2003, 03:13 PM
I would skip the snowsuit. I had a late November baby and we had a very harsh winter. I bought a snowsuit and a fleece bunting. I loved the snowsuit because it was so cute, but I think I wore it twice. She was just so lost in it until near the end of the season and even then it was too bulky for a car seat.

The fleece bunting was two pieces. The underpiece was basically like a footed fleece sleeper (except it fit looser), and the 2nd piece was designed very similar to a halo sleep sack with a hood. It was sleeveless and had a slit in the bottom for using it with a car seat. It probably wasn't quite as warm as the snowsuit, but with blankets you'll be fine. Plus, I doubt you'll be spending any long periods outside with a newborn.

Melanie
09-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Speaking as someone who looks at those things in the stores and wonders why on earth they even sell them here, I'd think you wouldn't want the snowsuit b/c it looks so stiff and uncomfortable, but you might want a bunting. Once your baby is here, I'll bet you enjoy cuddling it and carrying it about more than just leaving it in the car seat all the time for errands and you might wish you had something like that. Ds is a November baby, but we don't really have winters like some people, we just used a bunch of blankets for any rare and brief mad-dashes in the cold, or had him in the baby sling.

cara1
09-18-2003, 08:48 AM
It also depends on how you definte bunting. I'm using snowsuit and bunting to refer to the same thing. They also make baby "bags" that don't have legs. They have a loop on the bottom to allow you to buckle the car seat, but I found that this never worked, and got rid of it for something that had real legs.